Advice on kilts

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
DrFishnets

Advice on kilts

Post by DrFishnets »

I have worn kilts before at weddings and again at a university fancy dress party years ago. Just recently I bought a party kilt to wear casually with a waist coat and black leggings and caterpillar boots. The kilt is lovely and it’s a Granite Grey tartan. The kilts fits perfect around my hips but unfortunately I cannot get it over my waist as I have a bit of a belly. The kilt feels comfortable on but goes down an inch below my knees. Is this ok?

Just an update I managed to get my kilt over my waist without any effort at the belly button :D
Uncle Al

Re: Advice on kilts

Post by Uncle Al »

IF your kilt is the "standard" length (24") then it should hit mid-knee.
Having the kilt tight around your waist will help keep it from sliding down.
Besides the buckles & straps on each end of the kilt, your belt is what keeps
it in place. It's supposed to be tight around the waist.

Just my $.02 worth :D

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
DrFishnets

Post by DrFishnets »

Yeah the kilt is very tight around the waste just above my belly button and the kilt goes down to my knees. My partner says they would look good with my bare legs but I like to wear leggings with them. I am a bit nervous wearing them in public as the last time I wore a kilt was at a family wedding and this will be the first time I’ve worn them in the street and in public.
Last edited by DrFishnets on Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

DrFishnets wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:28 pm My partner says they would look good with my bare legs but I like to wear leggings with them.
Get a pair of Kilt Hose. Kilt hose are over-the-calf but just under the knee.

An example from UTKilts,

"Flashes" (elastic bands) are used to keep the hose held in place.
Flashes ALSO include a swatch of material that matches the kilt.
Try the kilt hose. Don't knock it down.

The feeling of 'freedom' from everyday stress, is remarkable :D

Also note that wearing leggings under a kilt, in mid summer,
makes your body Uncomfortably Hot - Ask me how I know ;)

Uncle Al
Kilted Organist/Musician
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

Well, if you want it correct, the kilt should not go below your knees but end mid knee or on top of your knees. As long as you wear it casionally, I should not be too much concerned about deviating from norms. But if your are to wear the kilt at a wedding, it should - to my opinion - be worn "correctly" meaning the right length and with kilt hose, not leggings or pantyhose,
If you were to attend a weddding in a white-tie outfit, you also should like to stick to norms, I'm sure.
GerdG

There ARE viable alternatives to trousers.
DrFishnets

Post by DrFishnets »

GerdG wrote: Well, if you want it correct, the kilt should not go below your knees but end mid knee or on top of your knees.
As long as you wear it occasionally, I should not be too much concerned about deviating from norms.
But if you are to wear the kilt at a wedding, it should - to my opinion - be worn "correctly" meaning
the right length and with kilt hose, not leggings or pantyhose. If you were to attend a wedding in a
white-tie outfit, you also should like to stick to norms, I'm sure.
I’ll just be wearing my kilt casually while I’m shopping or in town or going for walks. It won’t be used for weddings or special occasions. I’ll be wearing with dr martens boots or caterpillar boots with kilt hose or leggings. I’ll be wearing a large t shirt with scarf and waist coat and sometimes long coat and I’ll be wearing with a beret that I got from the women’s department of a UK clothes shop called Primark.
DrFishnets

Post by DrFishnets »

Uncle Al wrote:
DrFishnets wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:28 pm My partner says they would look good with my bare legs but I like to wear leggings with them.

Get a pair of Kilt Hose. Kilt hose are over-the-calf but just under the knee.

An example from UTKilts,

"Flashes" (elastic bands) are used to keep the hose held in place.
Flashes ALSO include a swatch of material that matches the kilt.
Try the kilt hose. Don't knock it down.

The feeling of 'freedom' from everyday stress, is remarkable :D

Also note that wearing leggings under a kilt, in mid summer,
makes your body Uncomfortably Hot - Ask me how I know ;)

Uncle Al

Those kilt hose look good. I’m just wondering if they will go with Dr. Martens, caterpillar or timberland boots. I might look out a pair for summer amd leave the leggings for winter.
Last edited by Uncle Al on Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Enabled BBCode and cleaned up post
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Dr F,
You live in Scotland, no?
Can I make so bold as to enquire if you are Scots by birth?
If so, I am rather baffled by these questions, sure ask away, but the answers are on your doorstep, not an internet forum such as this.
As a grizzled old Scotsman, I have no time for all the damned nonsense that gets cited as holy writ for Kilts and kilt wearers.
Steve.
DrFishnets

Post by DrFishnets »

STEVIE wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:17 am Dr F,
You live in Scotland, no?
Can I make so bold as to enquire if you are Scots by birth?
If so, I am rather baffled by these questions, sure ask away, but the answers are on your doorstep, not an internet forum such as this.
As a grizzled old Scotsman, I have no time for all the damned nonsense that gets cited as holy writ for Kilts and kilt wearers.
Steve.
Yes I live in Scotland and I am 100% Scots by birth. The only family member who knew a lot about the kilt was my Grandfather but he sadly passed away over 20 years ago or else I would have asked him. I do remember though that he told me the kilt should always go down to the knee.

Just recently I took an interest in the kilt and was only looking for advice considering that this is indeed a forum for kilts and was only looking for advice whether it can be worn over hips and if it’s alright in the 21st century for it do go slightly below my knees but that is all academic now I was finally able to get my kilt over my waist. It’s rare to see anyone in a kilt nowadays in Scotland unless it’s for weddings and social events but that is formal wear with all the official gear added and I was wondering what would look good if worn casually.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Check out this link on what, when and how to wear a casual kilt.
I hope this helps ease your mind on wearing a kilt :D

Casual kilts - a buyer’s guide to five yard kilts

Notice the included pics. Many have regular shoes, even boots.
Some with kilt hose, some with regular socks.

Basically, the choice is YOURS :!:
Make the outfit complete your self image.
It's your style, not anyone else's :!:

Uncle Al
Kilted Organist/Musician
DrFishnets

Post by DrFishnets »

Uncle Al wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:28 am Check out this link on what, when and how to wear a casual kilt.
I hope this helps ease your mind on wearing a kilt :D

Casual kilts - a buyer’s guide to five yard kilts

Notice the included pics. Many have regular shoes, even boots.
Some with kilt hose, some with regular socks.

Basically, the choice is YOURS :!:
Make the outfit complete your self image.
It's your style, not anyone else's :!:

Uncle Al
Thanks for the link.

I really like the kilt look and styles that the guys are wearing on the photos at the bottom of that webpage especially the photo of the guy from the band Placebo playing guitar which is similar to the style I’m looking for. It’s great looking for inspiration.

I read on that website to avoid kilts made from polyviscose. Unfortunately, that’s the material my kilt is made from which is probably why the kilt was cheap.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

DrFishnets wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:00 amThanks for the link.

I really like the kilt look and styles that the guys are wearing on the photos at the bottom of that webpage especially the photo
of the guy from the band Placebo playing guitar which is similar to the style I’m looking for. It’s great looking for inspiration.

I read on that website to avoid kilts made from polyviscose. Unfortunately, that’s the material my kilt is made from which
is probably why the kilt was cheap.
(Highlighted/Underlined words are emphasized by this writer.)

"avoid kilts made from polyviscose" :?: :?: :?: :?:

But WHY :?:

ALL of my Stillwaterkilts are Polyviscose and that is GREAT! I just toss them into the washing machine, (on cold-regular cycle)
then hang them on skirt hangers, to dry overnight. No shrinkage this way :!: Perfect length protection by air drying :D
(Machine drying caused shrinkage in one of my kilts :oops: )

Some of my SWK's are 20+ years old, so, with proper care, your polyviscose kilts will last a long time :D
Added bonus - No Dry Cleaning Bills :D :D :dance: :D :D

(I'll bet the guitar player doesn't have a portable dry cleaner to use when out on tour ;)
His kilts need to be Wash-N-Wear)

Uncle Al

Edited to add
Do you want to spend £600-800 for ONE kilt or be able to have a variety, for almost ANY OCCASION :?:
Kilted Organist/Musician
DrFishnets

Post by DrFishnets »

Uncle Al wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:22 pm
DrFishnets wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:00 amThanks for the link.

I really like the kilt look and styles that the guys are wearing on the photos at the bottom of that webpage especially the photo
of the guy from the band Placebo playing guitar which is similar to the style I’m looking for. It’s great looking for inspiration.

I read on that website to avoid kilts made from polyviscose. Unfortunately, that’s the material my kilt is made from which
is probably why the kilt was cheap.
(Highlighted/Underlined words are emphasized by this writer.)

"avoid kilts made from polyviscose" :?: :?: :?: :?:

But WHY :?:

ALL of my Stillwaterkilts are Polyviscose and that is GREAT! I just toss them into the washing machine, (on cold-regular cycle)
then hang them on skirt hangers, to dry overnight. No shrinkage this way :!: Perfect length protection by air drying :D
(Machine drying caused shrinkage in one of my kilts :oops: )

Some of my SWK's are 20+ years old, so, with proper care, your polyviscose kilts will last a long time :D
Added bonus - No Dry Cleaning Bills :D :D :dance: :D :D

(I'll bet the guitar player doesn't have a portable dry cleaner to use when out on tour ;)
His kilts need to be Wash-N-Wear)

Uncle Al

Edited to add
Do you want to spend £600-800 for ONE kilt or be able to have a variety, for almost ANY OCCASION :?:
Good to hear that polyviscoes kilts are not as bad as what was written on that website and I’m glad I’ll not need to worry about my kilt needing dry cleaned. I’m going to buy myself a good pair of timberlands or caterpillar boots. I’d like to buy Dr Martens but they are quite expensive.

Even though I’ve worn skirts before in public they have been hidden under a trench coat and I always wear black skirts, tops and leggings as my outfit so I’ll have to pluck the courage to wear my kilt which is bright greys. I’m just afraid I might get some negative comments but I know I’ll do it as so far I’ve had no negative comments about my leggings.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

For casual wear, I just cuff regular long socks below my knees (or no socks or no-show socks). I've gotten these in the past, though (like everything else) the price has gone up:

https://sockdreams.com/collections/over ... tube-socks
https://sockdreams.com/collections/extr ... high-socks

I've even worn non-kilt socks with wingtips, a plain black kilt, vest, and tie for a friend's wedding. No sporan. No flashes.
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

DrFishnets wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:18 pm Even though I’ve worn skirts before in public they have been hidden under a trench coat and I always wear black skirts, tops and leggings as my outfit so I’ll have to pluck the courage to wear my kilt which is bright greys. I’m just afraid I might get some negative comments but I know I’ll do it as so far I’ve had no negative comments about my leggings.
Negative comments are exceedingly rare in my experience. Generally it's always a very positive thing! My wife and I walk on the trail in town on the weekends and I wear a PV tartan kilt in cool weather or a Sport Kilt hiking kilt (lightweight) in the warm weather. People are more friendly when I'm wearing the kilts, for sure.