The boundary between skirt wearer and TV

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
jamie001
Member Extraordinaire

Re: The boundary between skirt wearer and TV

Post by jamie001 »

Since most of us wear skirts, we are crossdressers. When women wear men's items, they are also crossdressers.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Barleymower wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:45 pm
STEVIE wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:30 pm
Assuming that one is not transgendered, you have no actual need to even attempt to pass as a female to wear a skirt.
Stevie If TV has no actual place in the language anymore. Then what's a disguise? Either male or female.
I think I've answered that myself.. it's a disguise.

The fact that this is happening at all tells us that there is something deeply wrong in a society that some men and women need to do it.
BM
I said the boundary is a myth!
I didn't say that it had gone away nor that TV or CD had no place in modern language.
If someone is happy to wear female clothes to present as a female, good on them.
Need is the operative word. I need to wear skirts to fill a void in myself. What I don't need is to present as a girl to achieve it.
Disguise, acting getting a buzz, it doesn't matter it all amounts to the same thing.
I agree that the wrong is that men are still brain washed to that belief.
We will overcome.
Steve
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

Coder wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:26 pm
denimini wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:14 pm Oh, I guess that you could put a skirt on a TV, as some people put a skirt on a bed or a motor car.
Ask AI and you shall receive...

20240415105816-DEBUG-a-television-with-a-bedskirt_resized.jpg
That's nice in that shade of brown!

The last skirted man I saw in central London had a well trimmed beard, and aside from the lower half which was a straight skirt, tights and trainers or sneakers, was just as loudly spoken as other men (in jeans etc) in his group. The old phrase of TV is as outdated as a drag queen. They're just clothes. Kilts are too expensive, and shorts are too boring. It's an expanded wardrobe. Look at certain faiths where men wear robes, no one bats an eylid. :roll:

Most women are in jeans or leggings if not in a more formal office setting, and may find slacks more practical.

As one poster used to put it:- "If I want to dress as a woman, I'd wear blue jeans." :mrgreen:
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

jamie001 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:09 pmSince most of us wear skirts, we are crossdressers. When women wear men's items, they are also crossdressers.
Except that culturally women are not, and that's where the logic breaks down. Women can wear any damn thing they want and nobody bats an eyelash. But heaven forbid a man don a skirt. Men and women both will attack him mercilessly. It's the dichotomy that we need to abolish.

End the double-standard!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Agreed! :twisted:
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

crfriend wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:40 pm But heaven forbid a man don a skirt. Men and women both will attack him mercilessly. It's the dichotomy that we need to abolish.
End the double-standard!
Sure, end any double standards Carl, but I haven't been especially attacked at all.
Except, that is for family, and I now have good reason to believe more insidiously from the male side too.
That sad tale is for another time and place, meantime, do I give a damn?
Frankly, my dears, I don't!
Steve.
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

jamie001 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:09 pm Since most of us wear skirts, we are crossdressers. When women wear men's items, they are also crossdressers.
Jamie, I fully accept that I used to cross dress, but you cannot put all skirts in the women's camp. When I buy a sheet of material, design and make my own pattern to fit my body. Then make my own skirt, that is not a woman's skirt. That is a man's skirt because I designed and made it for me, a man.

I accept that not all my skirts are made by me, but it bugs me that the word skirt is being reserved for women, when there are clearly men's skirts.
Daily, a happy man in a skirt...
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Good point, Mouse. 8)
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Mouse wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:44 am
jamie001 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:09 pm Since most of us wear skirts, we are crossdressers. When women wear men's items, they are also crossdressers.
Jamie, I fully accept that I used to cross dress, but you cannot put all skirts in the women's camp. When I buy a sheet of material, design and make my own pattern to fit my body. Then make my own skirt, that is not a woman's skirt. That is a man's skirt because I designed and made it for me, a man.

I accept that not all my skirts are made by me, but it bugs me that the word skirt is being reserved for women, when there are clearly men's skirts.
I disagree here. There is a term out there it's called Transvestism or Crossdresser. It's an old term, some.might say an outdated term. If the test for an outdated term is: "Can the term be applied to both sexes?" If the answer is no then it's outdated and should not be used. It's called progress, it's called equality.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Cut to the chase!
It's not a man's or a woman's skirt, it's mine!
I paid for it after all!
Steve.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

STEVIE wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:50 pm
Barleymower wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:45 pm
STEVIE wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:30 pm
Assuming that one is not transgendered, you have no actual need to even attempt to pass as a female to wear a skirt.
Stevie If TV has no actual place in the language anymore. Then what's a disguise? Either male or female.
I think I've answered that myself.. it's a disguise.

The fact that this is happening at all tells us that there is something deeply wrong in a society that some men and women need to do it.
BM
I said the boundary is a myth!
I didn't say that it had gone away nor that TV or CD had no place in modern language.
If someone is happy to wear female clothes to present as a female, good on them.
Need is the operative word. I need to wear skirts to fill a void in myself. What I don't need is to present as a girl to achieve it.
Disguise, acting getting a buzz, it doesn't matter it all amounts to the same thing.
I agree that the wrong is that men are still brain washed to that belief.
We will overcome.
Steve
The word "void" made me think. Why do we feel a void? Apparently (internet wisdom) another word for the void is feeling our lives are missing something. It's down to neglect and invalidation of feelings. This undoubtedly comes from treatment we receive from others. They need to take their "judgey" pants off and think about how what they say and do affects other people.
I not saying that our lives are missing skirts, I think everyone's lives are missing skirts. They are a happy place.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

Crossdressing is wearing something because it is intended for the opposite sex - it is an identifier and an intentional signal that the wearer wishes to be associated with the opposite sex. And it's not generally restricted to just one garment, but rather to an entire look, incorporating shoes, hair, cosmetics and adornments.

I don't think the definition/motivation of crossdressing applies to most people here and it certainly doesn't apply to me. The only reason I wear skirts from women's ranges is that they don't usually make men's ones that I like or are affordable. The last time they did make one, it was a sarong sold at Top Man about 20 years ago and I bought one.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Stu wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:37 pmCrossdressing is wearing something because it is intended for the opposite sex - it is an identifier and an intentional signal that the wearer wishes to be associated with the opposite sex.
In the purest sense, that's correct, but in practise the term is used as a cudgel to beat on men. Women are entirely exempt.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
jamie001
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamie001 »

crfriend wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:40 pm
jamie001 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:09 pmSince most of us wear skirts, we are crossdressers. When women wear men's items, they are also crossdressers.
Except that culturally women are not, and that's where the logic breaks down. Women can wear any damn thing they want and nobody bats an eyelash. But heaven forbid a man don a skirt. Men and women both will attack him mercilessly. It's the dichotomy that we need to abolish.

End the double-standard!
Agreed. The double standard needs to be ended. Members of SkirtCafe are doing our best to end it as soon as possible.
jamie001
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamie001 »

Mouse wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:44 am

Makes perfect sense to me. Thanks for pointing this out.