Mouse making something....

For those do-it-yourselfers...
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Mouse making something....

Post by Mouse »

This morning I have started a new project to make a new skirt. It is going to be another circle skirt, since I don't have very much time to make anything more involved. I have to have it done for next weekend. So in a way, by posting here, I have to get it done now...

I don't want to annoy the moderators so I will not say what the material is. Also being picky, I am not using thread, so may be I should not be putting this in this section? Depending on whether the term "sewing" has to involve using thread.....

Image[/url]
Daily, a happy man in a skirt...
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Mouse making something....

Post by Grok »

I did a thread about converting jeans into a skirt, using fabric glue. I am sure it will be ok if you don't actually sew, so long as you are making something.
Seb

Post by Seb »

Yeah, Im in agreement, although most clothes are sewn, there are other perfectly valid ways to make clothes, like knitting, crocheting, glue and just cutting peices out. Or melting, bending, riveting togheter peices :)

I would hazard a guess that your making another latex circle skirt? Shorter than your other one?
Not alone with a dream, Just a want to be free, With a need to belong,
I am a skirtsman
Freedom, Freedom, Freedom, Freedom
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

Seb wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:34 am I would hazard a guess that your making another latex circle skirt? Shorter than your other one?
You would be correct in material however a lighter more petrol blue and the same length. The first Blue skirt I made was my very first construction and I made a lot of mistakes and the way I have looked after has not been great, however it has been an amazing learning curve and a great deal of fun to wear. I am going to an event next weekend where I want a skirt that I can shine and has been better made, so I am making another with what I have learned.
Marking out in white pen.
Cutting pieces out with rotary cutter on a self-healing cutting mat.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Mouse wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:53 am
Seb wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:34 am I would hazard a guess that your making another latex circle skirt? Shorter than your other one?
You would be correct in material however a lighter more petrol blue and the same length. The first Blue skirt I made was my very first construction and I made a lot of mistakes and the way I have looked after has not been great, however it has been an amazing learning curve and a great deal of fun to wear. I am going to an event next weekend where I want a skirt that I can shine and has been better made, so I am making another with what I have learned.
Mouse do you hand sew or machine sew. How did you learn either? My nan taught me to sew and I've used those few skills ever since. I would like to be able to sew better and even use a sewing machine
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

Barleymower wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:01 pm Mouse do you hand sew or machine sew. How did you learn either? My nan taught me to sew and I've used those few skills ever since. I would like to be able to sew better and even use a sewing machine
BM, I mainly machine sew when making clothes. As a kid I watched my mum sew and when my then girl friend wanted to make her own bridesmaid dresses for our wedding, I helped by taking on the machine sewing and learning on the job. I have always been into DIY where power tools are always involved, so to me a sewing machine was just another power tool to get to grips with. I have made things for the house, clothes for my wife and children and even odd things for my work. In lock down I started making skirts for myself. I also have an overlocker (serger) which is great for joining stretchy material and making nice edges on standard material.

I do some hand sewing when I make things in leather, which is too thick for my machines. I punch holes in the leather, then use thick thread to sew the pieces together. I would love a walking foot heavy duty machine to sew leather, but I don't have the space for one.

This latex material is best connected by using latex contact adhesive. In this picture I am first cleaning the edge surface with thinners, then I cover the two joining edges with the adhesive, let it go off for 4-5 minutes, then put the edges together in the right place....and then roller the seam. The low tack tape is there to stop the adhesive getting on to the face away from the join. Joining two pieces of material which stretch easily, is not easy to get a perfect seam and the tape was suppose to help keep them stable. It worked to some extent, and my seams are OK.

Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

Ran out of the Blue, so I made the waist band out of black. Not a great problem, since what I am wearing it with is black. The idea of using a basin, I nicked from a maker on YouTube making a circle skirt.

Image[/url]
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

So I finished the skirt and this is picture of me wearing it on Kings Cross tube station platform on the way to the event.
The blue latex this time is translucent, so shows brightly in the light.
Seb

Post by Seb »

I love how the fall turned out, looks really good, the Latex really folds nicly, well done Mouse!
Not alone with a dream, Just a want to be free, With a need to belong,
I am a skirtsman
Freedom, Freedom, Freedom, Freedom
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Mouse wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:20 am So I finished the skirt and this is picture of me wearing it on Kings Cross tube station platform on the way to the event.
The blue latex this time is translucent, so shows brightly in the light.
A spectacular outcome mouse.
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

Seb wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:58 am I love how the fall turned out, looks really good, the Latex really folds nicly, well done Mouse!
Thank you Seb. The latex at 0.4mm has a nice movement to it. I was generally pleased with my work, there are always things you can do better! I also made latex accessories including one which incorporated 3D printed parts which was new for me. So a good round of making. Next, I have to make my daughter a couple of summer skirts out of normal material.
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

Barleymower wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:51 am A spectacular outcome mouse.
Thank you BM. I did feel special walking in London in my creation. I got two compliments on this platform, mainly for my boots, but I will take any. :D
Spirou003
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Spirou003 »

The look is quite... special, but is good also. I understand why you say you felt special in that outfit, it is indeed uncommon.
You actually have made a great work. As for the boots, not my cup of tea
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

Spirou003 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:31 pm The look is quite... special, but is good also. I understand why you say you felt special in that outfit, it is indeed uncommon.
You actually have made a great work.
Thank you Spirou.
Spirou003 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:31 pm As for the boots, not my cup of tea
I totally respect that. The issue for me is that as a kid, not only did I want what the girls got to wear in skirts. I also wanted the same freedom for my feet...