The boundary between skirt wearer and TV

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Walks

The boundary between skirt wearer and TV

Post by Walks »

Hi,

Long time lurker and skirt wearer, although not in public yet. trying to work up the courage.
Just curious where the boundary comes between skirt wear and TV.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Re: The boundary between skirt wearer and TV

Post by denimini »

I assume that the acronism TV is meant as Transvestite, which is an obsolete and derogatory term these days, hence TV is now an anacronsim.
Ever the term crossdressing will eventually cease being used. If you are wondering about the boundary between men wearing skirts as an addition to the pallete of male clothing and men dressing to look more like a converntional western female stereotype, then that boundary only exists amongst the synapses of the wearer's brain.
How other people assess your apearance and behaviour will depend on their accumulated life knowledge and experience which, as said elsewhere many times in this forum, you will not know, can not do anything about and thus should not worry about what other people think.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

Agree that the term TV should be consigned to the dustbin. I wear a skirt as a man and also at times present fully a a woman in public, complete with make up, wig, voice and body language. Other times I just wear a skirt and everything else is male. For me there is no boundary between full cross dressing and merely wearing a skirt so I am not going to bother inventing one to meet the expectations of others. It is a spectrum. If I concerned myself with the expectations of others I would never go out in any non-trousered outfit.
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

Walks wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:28 pm Hi,

Long time lurker and skirt wearer, although not in public yet. trying to work up the courage.
Hi Walks, I don't know where you are in the world, but assuming you are somewhere safe for MIS, the problem is all in your head and hence the question rolling around in it. At the end of the day, the important question is how you see yourself. If you are happy in how you look, then open the front door and go public. Whatever you do, be confident in who you are. Most people will ignore you, some will look and the odd one may speak. What people think of you and label you is not your concern. Develop your own style and work it. Wear what skirts and accessories that make you happy. Start with something easy like a black utility kilt or a knee length denim skirt. As you confidence grows, you can get more creative util you get to your happy place.

Obviously, the elephant in the room is your family and close friends. The walking out into a crowded city is the easy part, fronting up to a family gathering in a skirt the hard part.

All I can say, is that for me, it has been worth while exercise to bring my skirt wearing into the public arena.

I wish you much success.
Daily, a happy man in a skirt...
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Walks,
That boundary is a myth that really gets in the way of fashion freedom for men.
Assuming that one is not transgendered, you have no actual need to even attempt to pass as a female to wear a skirt, dress or any item society would normally ascribe as exclusively for women.
I took a long time to realise that and this reflects that part of my journey, viewtopic.php?t=24377.
That realisation was perhaps the most liberating aspect of my skirt wearing in public.
Steve.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

STEVIE wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:30 pm
Assuming that one is not transgendered, you have no actual need to even attempt to pass as a female to wear a skirt.
Stevie If TV has no actual place in the language anymore. Then what's a disguise? Either male or female.
I think I've answered that myself.. it's a disguise.

The fact that this is happening at all tells us that there is something deeply wrong in a society that some men and women need to do it.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Hello, Walks.

To the extent that there is a real distinction, I would say it depends on the outlooks of different groups. Two that have been occasionally mentioned:

1. Kilties. Distinctive outlook for this group. Emphasis on the wearing of kilts. Tendency to emphasize Celtic heritage.

2. Trannys. I know much less this group, but I believe they have a distinctive outlook.

Skirt Cafe has a diverse membership. With diverse preferences. What is shared by members:

1. Tendency to disagree with the restrictions that society seeks to impose on self expression.

2. A strong interest in wearing open ended garments.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

:hmmm: Way back when I was growing up,
TV was the short name for Television. :D

What's on TV(besides dust) :?:

Q - What are you doing :?:
A - Watching TV :)

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

3. With members, a general tendency towards a more fluid presentation that either the Kilties or the Trannys.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Mouse wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:36 pm Wear what skirts and accessories that make you happy.
Yes. At root, this forum is about pleasing yourself in term of self expression.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Walks wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:28 pm Hi,

I sit anywhere from six to ten feet from my TV. I've heard that if you sit too close you can damage your eyes.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

A man who wears a skirt is just that - as a woman who wears jeans is just that.

A TV is a male crossdresser - i.e. a man who wants to present as a woman or a boy who wants to present as a girl, whether that's in public or in front of a mirror.

To me, as a semanticist, the boundary is perfectly clear.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

To me, a transvestite refers to someone who gets sexually aroused by wearing clothes of the other gender. I guess I don't care about that so long as the person doesn't make that obvious.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Uncle Al wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:16 am TV was the short name for Television. :D
Oh, I guess that you could put a skirt on a TV, as some people put a skirt on a bed or a motor car.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

denimini wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:14 pm Oh, I guess that you could put a skirt on a TV, as some people put a skirt on a bed or a motor car.
Ask AI and you shall receive...
20240415105816-DEBUG-a-television-with-a-bedskirt_resized.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Coder on Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.