Pretty Skirts?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Pretty Skirts?

Post by denimini »

I looked for a pretty skirt amongst my collection and found a wrap mini skirt which can be reversed for a quick change of mood. It only takes 10 seconds to change, but phone boxes are hard to find these days.
wrap_floral_P4057764_crs.jpg
wrap_plain_P4057760_crs.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

denimini wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:45 pm I looked for a pretty skirt amongst my collection and found a wrap mini skirt which can be reversed for a quick change of mood. It only takes 10 seconds to change, but phone boxes are hard to find these days.

Cheerful mood - Sombre mood
I love your post, skirt with pink flowers as well!!! I also love the face expressions to match the picture moods. Great work, Many Thanks.
Daily, a happy man in a skirt...
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

Mouse wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:15 am
Myopic Bookworm wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:10 pm But if someone sincerely complimented something I wore as "pretty", I'd take it positively.
I am really glad you said this, since one of the things that started this idea for a thread, was the tartan skirt you wore to the Skirt cafe meet in November.
Thanks. It's from our local brand, Superdry: I think they still sell a range of tartan and check miniskirts, though the online prices online are steeper than what I paid in-store a couple of years ago.
timemeddler
Distinguished Member

Post by timemeddler »

I think it's a debate about what kind of pretty, floral maybe not, but stripes and bright colors are possibilities, after all nobody complains about a fancy stripped tie.
Spirou003
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Spirou003 »

One year ago, I've been complimented by several people at different moments, about the flower on my trousers. I made it to repair a hole before it grew too much: before - after. When you know you can't repair invisibly, then you add something big enough to hide the ugly reparation. This worked nicely.
Whether the compliment is "pretty" or not, I couldn't tell, I'm not sure what it maps to. I've been told things like "oh que c'est joli" or "tiens c'est plutôt mignon". But what I can tell, is that I've been pleased of it because I was proud of my flower, and the compliment feeled sincere. Maybe the sincerity of the compliment (from both the one saying it and the perception of the one receiving it) is a prerequisite for it to be acceptable.
Ozdelights
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ozdelights »

denimini wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:45 pm It only takes 10 seconds to change, but phone boxes are hard to find these days.
It's a long time since I've seen a public phone that accorded any hint of privacy.
Midas
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Midas »

Pretty used as an adjective is a lazy option. It’s a non-word, like nice and good descriptive writing should avoid it.
yardstick

Post by yardstick »

In answer to the original question:
1. Are men allowed to wear something that is "pretty"?
Of course we are, the real question is whether we as individuals have the confidence to do so and if we are lucky enough to receive a compliment we most certainly shouldn't worry how someone refers to the outfit.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

I have quite a few "colorful" skirts; as well as my more drab "UPS" skirts -- and most often, if any at all, the comments are simply "I like your skirt". It seems to me "pretty" is in the eye of the viewer -- what some would call pretty, just comes out with a different adjective in another's view. I do enjoy the colorful ones too, and often they seem more fitting for a night out; a casual fun day; or sometimes just to be a bit 'in the face' of the herd. It is nice when others enjoy them, but it matters not to me except that I feel more constrained in a 'pretty' skirt lest I mess it up!
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

It's really difficult/uncomfortable for me to wear something with a pattern on it, which most "pretty" (or playful/fun) clothes seem to have. I completely realize this is due to conditioning, because give me a tartan kilt and I'm all over that and I'll wear it anywhere. I'll get over that, or I won't, either way I still wear a skirt every day.
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

FLbreezy wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:46 pm I'll get over that, or I won't, either way I still wear a skirt every day.
That is the most important thing. You should always wear what you are comfortable wearing. This is real life and not a competition to see who can be the most daring in what they wear.
Daily, a happy man in a skirt...
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Mouse wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:52 pm
FLbreezy wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:46 pm I'll get over that, or I won't, either way I still wear a skirt every day.
That is the most important thing. You should always wear what you are comfortable wearing. This is real life and not a competition to see who can be the most daring in what they wear.
Yes - for sure! Mental and physical comfort can be at odds with one another. Yesterday my outfit had both, and it was just a nice day (perfect weather helped). I have found if you push your own boundaries a bit - wear a patterned skirt, bright colors, or different style top - those items become less and less uncomfortable mentally.