Sightings "in the wild"

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Sightings "in the wild"

Post by Coder »

rode_kater wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:46 pm Because they look like the tunics men wore in the middle age, complete with belt and embroidery patterns. If they said they were going to a reenactment of a medieval battle afterwards you'd beleive it right away.

It's actually kind of cool, I've never really considered that style.
I've oft contemplated historical clothing - but I'm less inclined to look like a time traveler ( :D ), sort of. I feel like I'd get more pushback or comments. But it would be fun/cool.
rode_kater wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:46 pm No-one cares. He works for another department so I rarely see him, occasionally at lunch, but just happened to run into him on the way out this evening. I feel like I could have said something, but no idea what. I mean, I don't comment on other people's clothing generally, so why now?
Tough one. Are you sure he identifies as "he"? Could get you in trouble if not. But, if you know he is he, then maybe an approach like, "Hey, hate to ask, but I have a unique/similar fashion sense as you - run into any flack?" Maybe phrase it positively. I'm assuming you don't wear skirts or kilts to the office.
Last edited by Uncle Al on Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed BBCode formatting
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

rode_kater wrote: ↑Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:46 pm
No-one cares. He works for another department so I rarely see him, occasionally at lunch, but just happened to run into him on the way out this evening. I feel like I could have said something, but no idea what. I mean, I don't comment on other people's clothing generally, so why now?

Why not a simple "I like your style" as we all enjoy confirmation & a sense we may be doing something worthwhile for all the great unwashed out there yet! If adding, "any flack" kind of thing, I'd couple it with something about not having had the courage to wear your own in public venues.... letting him know you are on board with MIS.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

Coder wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:13 pm Tough one. Are you sure he identifies as "he"?
Meh, he's got a beard so I'm going to go with that until evidence otherwise.
Faldaguy wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:01 am Why not a simple "I like your style" as we all enjoy confirmation & a sense we may be doing something worthwhile for all the great unwashed out there yet!
I like this one, I'll try to remember it.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

rode_kater wrote:
Faldaguy wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:01 am Why not a simple "I like your style" as we all enjoy confirmation & a sense we may be doing something worthwhile for all the great unwashed out there yet!
Same! Could lead to a conversation and is a positive approach.
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

Liverpool Street station, London. Young man, dressed in black, with a beard and what looked like a circle skirt, men's boots, walking with friends without a care in the world. No double takes from anyone. Perhaps it really is becoming a non-event :roll:
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
Derek Plattis
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Derek Plattis »

"Perhaps it really is becoming a non-event". I'm sure it is - and about time too. It seems to be much easier nowadays.
familyman34
Distinguished Member

Post by familyman34 »

At about 1430hrs on 14th February, while crossing the Howard Street car park in Gt Yarmouth, I noticed at the back of the old people's centre (at number 7, Regent Street) two people, presumably staff, at their back door, having a cigarette.
The woman was totally unremarkable (black jeans, black hooded top, etc.) but the man was certainly less so - he was a big man, tall, bearded, wearing a long red velvet robe (OK so far?), with a pair of wings at the back, which would probably have had a span of 6 to 7 feet if spread!!
Familyman34
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Derek Plattis wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:47 pm "Perhaps it really is becoming a non-event". I'm sure it is - and about time too. It seems to be much easier nowadays.
Derek, while I agree about the non-event and it appearing "easier" these days, I'm less certain about why.
We used to say that it was because people were just getting on with their lives.
I believe that is even more true today because we are now living in the most troubling of times for a lot of folks.
Problem is that I don't see it as, necessarily, a marked improvement in acceptance of men in skirts.
When, and if, normal service is resumed we shall see.
At the moment, the times we live in are just too "interesting" to know.
Steve.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

STEVIE wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:29 pm
Derek Plattis wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:47 pm "Perhaps it really is becoming a non-event". I'm sure it is - and about time too. It seems to be much easier nowadays.
Derek, while I agree about the non-event and it appearing "easier" these days, I'm less certain about why.
We used to say that it was because people were just getting on with their lives.
I believe that is even more true today because we are now living in the most troubling of times for a lot of folks.
Problem is that I don't see it as, necessarily, a marked improvement in acceptance of men in skirts.
When, and if, normal service is resumed we shall see.
At the moment, the times we live in are just too "interesting" to know.
Steve.
Here's my take on it, accept or disregard its only an opinion:
1. It's not a none event, if it were you would see more men exercising their right to wear what they want
2. People getting on with their lives. Difference between now and 1985 is we live in more sensitive times. People more likely to oppose rude people than they used to.
3. These are troubling times, people are more likely to keep a low profile
4. Life is constantly changing, I don't think normal service will ever truly resume.

To add a bit from myself: People are probably keeping a low profile and their opinions to themselves. Maybe it's a first step in acceptance and agreement?
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Barleymower wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:45 pm2. People getting on with their lives. Difference between now and 1985 is we live in more sensitive times. People more likely to oppose rude people than they used to.
3. These are troubling times, people are more likely to keep a low profile
4. Life is constantly changing, I don't think normal service will ever truly resume.
To 2: The mid 1980's marked a time of the rise of the reactionary and the neo-con. The entire world took a very, very hard shift to the political right, and all sorts of ugliness started. This was not confined to the USA, either -- it was pretty much global.

To 3: Yes, these are extremely troubling times as we have unrestricted class warfare being conducted from the top down and no way for the "little people" to defend themselves. Everybody is scared where their next meal is going to come from or if they'll have a job tomorrow. In other words, people are terrified because they're afraid for their futures.

To 4: We're at a watershed moment. If we don't make this the "little people's" Finest Hour it's going to be our Final Hour. And people know that. Take a look at the political and social landscape.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Yesterday in Birmingham, UK

A tall lanky gent. Must have been approaching 7 ft tall. (2m 15cm). Very skinny. Mostly legs. Long braided hair, looked like Iggy Pop. Black top, black T-shirt, short black skirt and about 4 feet of long skinny legs clad in thick black tights. I think the footwear was doc marten boots.

Just marching along, doing his thing. I muttered “cool” as he passed.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

Today in the station car park, a guy wearing a fairly long, very shiny purple skirt (with white trainers). I managed to say "nice skirt!" while on my way past. (Back from a run, so in leggings not skirt myself.)
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

rode_kater wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:16 pm
I've gotten these types of comments before, and they are always appreciated!
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

Monday 15th April, London, close to Spitalfields Market. Guy in an ankle length silver silk skirt or dress (if it were a skirt, I guess you would call it a maxi - looked like it could be stride limiting) with heeled ankle boots and a male-cut blouson jacket that reminded me a bit of a short donkey jacket in terms of the material (Melton cloth, apparently) and the boxy, square cut shoulders. Capped off with a black handbag with a silver chain strap worn over the left shoulder. The guy walked confidently and purposefully - very erect posture and straight shouldered. Almost like a catwalk strut, come to think of it (but without the pronounced crossover of feet along the axis of travel). Striking, angular face with jet black hair and a mustache - could probably have won second place in a Freddie Mercury lookalike contest :-)

I was intrigued! Was this someone who dressed this way for work in the City (it was about 4.30pm, so could have been the end of his working day)? Maybe the look was more fitting for an evening out with friends? Looks like there are some fashion schools in the area, so maybe that was where he was coming from? Certainly a bold look, carried with confidence.