A beautiful skirt

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Re: A beautiful skirt

Post by Barleymower »

Seb wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:02 pm
Barleymower wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:26 pm Ok here's the rub from my point of view. It all depends on what your head is telling you, yelling in your ear 'I want that'. If I listened to everything that voice says I would end up not far adrift from a Disney Princess outfit. Probably because I was denied it as a child. Ram dressed as lamb you might say ,🙃
I'm right with you there. It can be a time and a place where I'd be okay to wear a Victorian era dress with a huge pettycoat, but reason says that its not every day - even if my inner voice keeps telling me that every day would be a perfect day. Better watch it or they might lock me up in the loony bin, one step at a time. :roll:
Seb that's comforting to hear. Even in the land of MIS there is not a lot take up in huge petticoat deptment. I agree everyday is the perfect day for a beautiful dress.
I have tried and sadness, I looked dreadful. A hairy chest and shoulders just aren't made for nice dresses.
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

Barleymower wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:43 pm I have tried and sadness, I looked dreadful. A hairy chest and shoulders just aren't made for nice dresses.
I think if you go with a standard top and crazy ballgown skirt, that might be a better bet. IMHO
Daily, a happy man in a skirt...
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Barleymower wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:43 pmEven in the land of MIS there is not a lot take up in huge petticoat deptment. I agree everyday is the perfect day for a beautiful dress.
I have tried and sadness, I looked dreadful. A hairy chest and shoulders just aren't made for nice dresses.
I wear petticoats fairly frequently during the winter as they add volume and warmth; as for a hairy chest and shoulders, there's no reason for low-cut bodices or sleeveless designs. There are options there, too.

I routinely use history as a guide. I don't lift from it exactly, I make allowances for anatomy and sheer physical size, but lots of the characteristics of the Victorian era actually translate quite well into the modern world (or what passes for) and can be quite striking. For instance, in your case, you might look at bodices that have high necklines and sleeves, thus hiding the hair without the need for shaving.

One of my petticoats actually has a hoop that I can install if I want, but I find that on me it produces a "lampshade" silhouette which is not particularly attractive with a lightweight skirt (e.g. satin), so I usually leave it out. See the thread entitled "Tales from The Brotherhood of the Hoop" for some fun descriptions -- and I'm not the only wiseguy to have explored this path.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
skirtpettiman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtpettiman »

Thst skirt appears to have built in petticoats if you look at the last of the three pictures at the start of this post? I am a regular petticoat wearer especially in cold weather but even in summer I wear slips so I don't have to wash skirts so often.
timemeddler
Distinguished Member

Post by timemeddler »

the big hoop and petticoat skirt admittedly would be something I'd like to try. Not sure how often I'd be able to wear such a thing. on the other hand a few extra layers really gives skirts an edge when the winter comes and temperature are down around freezing.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Gone now 🥲
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

Barleymower wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:35 pm Gone now 🥲
You bought it?
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Mouse wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:49 pm
Barleymower wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:35 pm Gone now 🥲
You bought it?
Gutted. I was getting around to it. Slightly put off by the fact it's 39inchs , floor length. Then on the way down my my dad's thought. I'm going for it! To hell with the money.
Sadly so did someone else 😔
Edit:
Strangely the same skirt has popped up for sale in Northern Ireland with the same photos.
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

Barleymower wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:54 pm Strangely the same skirt has popped up for sale in Northern Ireland with the same photos.
So did the auction finish with a sale or was it halted by the seller? Can you buy it in Ireland?
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

:twisted:
Mouse wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:43 pm
Barleymower wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:54 pm Strangely the same skirt has popped up for sale in Northern Ireland with the same photos.
So did the auction finish with a sale or was it halted by the seller? Can you buy it in Ireland?
Disaster mouse. I decided I'm going to buy the skirt. So I contacted them. I said it's an odd waist measurement.can you please check. They came back apologetic it's 15" edge to edge IE 30" waist. Ok theres plenty of length and the waist can be dropped down the skirt as if flares so it can be adjusted and will lose a little bit in length. But the price was higher in Ireland, post went from £4.5 to £17.90 and there was VAT to add. The skirt became outrageously expensive and needing alteration. I made a offer, they declined. The end.
Theres so many out there it's not worth getting obsessive about.
Edited to correct spelling
Last edited by Barleymower on Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Don't worry about that particular skirt BM, a better one will come along.
Granted, patience(waiting) is a virtue, sometimes I'm not so virtuous but
hold steady, and you'll be rewarded :D

Side-Note: A great idea to get a skirted hemmed AND a larger waist size
by lowering the waist in the skirt. That's thinking outside the box :D

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

Barleymower wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:10 pm Disaster mouse.

Never mind BM, as Al says, there are plenty more out there. If you do a search for Laura Ashley in eBay, there are many similar for a lot less.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Mouse wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:48 pm
Barleymower wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:10 pm Disaster mouse.

Never mind BM, as Al says, there are plenty more out there. If you do a search for Laura Ashley in eBay, there are many similar for a lot less.
Quite right Mouse. 27k for LA alone.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Uncle Al wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:24 pm Don't worry about that particular skirt BM, a better one will come along.
Granted, patience(waiting) is a virtue, sometimes I'm not so virtuous but
hold steady, and you'll be rewarded :D

Side-Note: A great idea to get a skirted hemmed AND a larger waist size
by lowering the waist in the skirt. That's thinking outside the box :D

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Thanks AL. I haven't got the sewing skill to do it myself. I'm in the make do and mend category.
The friendly tailor did look quite surprised when I said what I wanted him to do on another skirt. He raised an eyebrow and said "that will work".
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

My lovely wife bought me the skirt. It was too expensive for a Laura Ashley skirt..but thank you.

For a couple of weeks it has been on it way and yesterday arrived. I open it and it's enormous with a tiny waist. It's not quite a full circle but getting there. The top layer is also quite crispy. My daughter said its a tarpaulin!

Here she is in the picnic blanket robe.
Screenshot_20240413_121205_Gallery~2.jpg
My wife was so kind that I cannot just discard it to the back of the wardrobe. So I'm getting it tailored. It's getting a 36" waist, 9" shorter, remove the mesh, belt hoops and deep pockets. Careful what you wish for.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.