What have you discovered through wearing skirts and dresses?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
jamie001
Member Extraordinaire

Re: What have you discovered through wearing skirts and dresses?

Post by jamie001 »

1. Skirts are so comfortable.

2. Skirts come in beautiful colors, patterns and so many different fabrics. The choices are unlimited!

3. I match my skirts with my collection of women's shoes and also my large collection of purses. It is so much fun to coordinate an outfit. Sometimes I even match my nail polish with my skirts.

4. Skirts and other feminine fashion all me to feel in-touch with my inner-girl persona which in turn is very relaxing.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

I learned that I look better in dresses and women’s clothing than I do menswear.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Thanks Jeff,

I said before that I have discovered fun in clothes and you have made me realise a deeper truth.
My discovery has been that I actually feel better, more me, in a skirt or a dress and it is much more profound than mere physical comfort.
Sorry Jamie, but it has made no real difference to how I feel about my inner girl at all.
I often say too that aging has brought the ability to be less mindful of disapprovers, but I'm not so sure about that now either.
Sure, I kept it secret, not good, but it didn't prevent it!
Oh, I have had the most wonderful talks with strangers that would never have happened if I had been trousered.
No regrets!
Steve.
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

I echo a lot of the stuff that has been said about fabrics and comfort. I too look better in skirts and dresses than in conventional menswear, I have also met some very interesting friends (all women) via wearing these clothes, including one of my now closest friends. Most of all I have learned that clothes can make a huge difference to your well-being. Imagine how much happier the male population would be if they chose to access this source of dopamines.
Sepchugang

Post by Sepchugang »

skirtpettiman wrote:In a nutshell: comfort.
Maybe worth rearranging these words - as I've discovered that they make a very comfortable shell for your nuts - much freer and cooler than trousers or shorts. Like others, I feel much happier and more confident in myself now that I wear what I want to wear rather than what society "expects" me to wear. I enjoy wearing my skirts and find it somewhat ironic that since most of the women around where I live wear trousers virtually all the time, it is the men who persist in wearing trousers who are now wearing "women's clothes".
Modoc
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Modoc »

Much to my surprise, I have discovered that most people don't care about what I wear. Or maybe I should say they don't convey any negative sentiments. Me seeing other men wearing skirts is a total rarity so I am pretty much a lone ranger wherever I go but as of yet no one has voiced a negative opinion that I have heard.
“And the time came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.”
― Anaïs Nin
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

photoguy207 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:29 pm
With pants, it’s grab this and grab that…ok to go!
I like dresses as I don't have to match a top with a bottom.
You just put it on! :D

Here is a posting I put on crossdressers.com:

"I had a very interesting experience today going to a doctor appointment today. I wore a long sleeve maxidress and makeup. The nurse, who remembered me, asked me how my job at Victoria Secrets was going. Of course I didn't know what she was talking about.
It turns out there's another patient, like me, born as male, is on estrogen and, unlike me, is transitioning to be a woman. And she had breast augmentation, which I definitely don't need (my bra cup size is DD). Also she likes to wear dresses as I do. I asked what her voice like, and the nurse said her voice is not as deep as mine, probably a baritone. (I'm a bass).
And the the piece de resistance: She's a bra fitter at Victoria Secrets.
And of course I joked with the phlebotomist (who is very good) about using a razor blade and aiming for the bucket.

John"
yardstick

Post by yardstick »

As many others have said already for me it has to be the comfort when sitting down for long periods, warmth and coolness (works both ways) and a sense of inner calm I feel whilst wearing skirts as long as i'm not noticed (I need to work on that one).
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

I notice how women will hug me when I wear a dress at church as they see me as sort of like them. I don't get the same thing when I wear a man's coat and tie outfit.

John
Modoc
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Modoc »

JohnH wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:30 am I notice how women will hug me when I wear a dress at church as they see me as sort of like them. I don't get the same thing when I wear a man's coat and tie outfit.

John
John, I read an article some time ago in which the author asserted that women view men in skirts and dresses as less threatening than men dressed in traditional attire. Your observation is the only firsthand verification that I have come across. I pretty much accepted the author's theory since I wasn't inclined to do a survey on my own.
M
“And the time came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.”
― Anaïs Nin
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Modoc wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:48 pmI read an article some time ago in which the author asserted that women view men in skirts and dresses as less threatening than men dressed in traditional attire. Your observation is the only firsthand verification that I have come across. I pretty much accepted the author's theory since I wasn't inclined to do a survey on my own.
At a superficial level, I can also verify the result -- HOWEVER, trying to convert a casual acquaintance into something "serious" is fraught with peril for the skirted man, and he's likely to lose out on the game because even if women seem accepting on the surface, deep down they're not.

I've got three tries riding on that observation, and three abject failures to show for it. I am not encouraged as a man who has the audacity to wear skirts.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

So women can accept skirted men as casual acquaintances, but seldom as significant others?
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

Grok wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:08 am So women can accept skirted men as casual acquaintances, but seldom as significant others?
I am married to a woman who accepts me. Whether she would make the same choice she made 32 years ago, given her tine again, is probably a question, better not to ask her. :D
Daily, a happy man in a skirt...
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

photoguy207 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:29 pm Putting a lot of thought into what I am wearing that day.

“If I wear this top, and this skirt…”

With pants, it’s grab this and grab that…ok to go!
Me too. Thinking about wearing a skirt leads to thinking about what other garments will go well with that skirt. Trying to come up with an outfit that will look good.

With trousers, though, it usually means throwing something on to cover up my nakedness. In terms of appearance, to be at most presentable (if just barely).
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Women reacting to MIS.