National Skirt Day

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
timemeddler
Distinguished Member

Re: National Skirt Day

Post by timemeddler »

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/pr ... 75143.html

depending on what you consider "Far right" it seems some of them like skirts too.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

timemeddler wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:42 am that was meant as a joke.
Still - while you were just joking there are people that want to paint the extremes with broad brushes and I truly believe if we can tone down the rhetoric, meaningful conversations can be had.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

mr seamstress wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:51 pm There is also a skirt day in Netherlands that is called Rokjesdag. They celebrates it later than United States.
Well, it's not a fixed day. It's the first day of the year that noticably many women spontaneously wear a short skirt with bare legs. Usually the first day of the year it's 17-20C (that would be 62F-68F), usually in April, but more an observed phenomenon than an actual date.

I suspect it's going to be late this year. It's fripping cold!

(Some people fix it to 22 April because that the day Martin Bril (who popularised it) died.)
KiltedBigWave
Distinguished Member

Post by KiltedBigWave »

I had a great day with a little shopping and a stop at the pub in a short pleated skirt with my ankle boots and sweater.
"Look at Scottish guys wearing kilts - you could look at them and laugh, but the way they carry themselves, how can you? You can wear some of the weirdest things and be cool. If you believe in it, that's what makes it cool."
Bill

Post by Bill »

Yesterday we headed home from our winter vacation - driving 468 miles. I was in a utility kilt all day for the trip which included three stops: a Waffle House for brunch, fuel about half way, and dinner at a restaurant about an hour before we got home. I did receive a positive comment from a lady at the Waffle house about my kilt. All-in-all a fine day.
If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Coder wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:21 pm
timemeddler wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:42 pm ironic the part about the far right, since the klu klux klan outfit is essentially a dress.
You are making a false assumption here - that a far right person approves of or aligns themselves with the kkk - I know a lot of far right people, and none sympathize with that group. If they did I’d disown them faster than you (or I) can put on a skirt. That assumption is used by people who want to drive the left and right apart for political reasons.
If you really look at the history of the "klu klux klan".(SP)
Founded in 1865, the Ku Klux Klan (KKK) extended into almost every southern state by 1870 and became a vehicle for white southern resistance to the Republican Party’s Reconstruction-era policies aimed at establishing political and economic equality for Black Americans. Its members waged an underground campaign of intimidation and violence directed at white and Black Republican leaders. Though Congress passed legislation designed to curb Klan terrorism, the organization saw its primary goal—the reestablishment of white supremacy—fulfilled through Democratic victories in state legislatures across the South in the 1870s.

The above was taken from the History Channel Website.
It was not the right nor the far right that started and continues to control the KKK but the left!!!
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

Fred in Skirts wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:20 pm
Founded in 1865, the Ku Klux Klan (KKK) extended into almost every southern state by 1870 and became a vehicle for white southern resistance to the Republican Party’s Reconstruction-era policies aimed at establishing political and economic equality for Black Americans. Its members waged an underground campaign of intimidation and violence directed at white and Black Republican leaders. Though Congress passed legislation designed to curb Klan terrorism, the organization saw its primary goal—the reestablishment of white supremacy—fulfilled through Democratic victories in state legislatures across the South in the 1870s.

The above was taken from the History Channel Website.
It was not the right nor the far right that started and continues to control the KKK but the left!!!
That seems anachronistic. If the Southern Democrats were supporting white supremacy, and the Republicans were supporting equality, then the Republicans of the time were representing what would now be termed the Left.

Nowadays, many U.S Democrats (other than the Bernie Sanders wing) represent a position which in European terms would be regarded as centrist, or even centre Right. The Republicans used to be nearer centre Right, but under Reagan they moved rightwards, and under Trump they are becoming hard right, favouring populist autocracy.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Myopic Bookworm wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:03 pmThat seems anachronistic. If the Southern Democrats were supporting white supremacy, and the Republicans were supporting equality, then the Republicans of the time were representing what would now be termed the Left.

Nowadays, many U.S Democrats (other than the Bernie Sanders wing) represent a position which in European terms would be regarded as centrist, or even centre Right. The Republicans used to be nearer centre Right, but under Reagan they moved rightwards, and under Trump they are becoming hard right, favouring populist autocracy.
Here's where analysing history can go badly wrong if one is not on top of "current affairs".

For decades, the Republican Party was in the realm of what would be known as "Progressives" where the Democrats tended to be reactionaries. That started to shift, slowly, in the 1950s and '60s, culminating in a complete upheaval in the '70s and '80s when the two swapped places. My recollection of the matter begins in the 1960s when the Republicans had shifted from a Progressive party to one that favoured the business types and the wealthy; this hardened dramatically in the 1980s with the election of Ronald Reagan, and has cascaded out of control since. In the 1950s and '60s the Democrats reshaped their form to be more of a "populist" party.

In the late 1990s, the Republic that was the United States of America failed completely and was usurped into the system that's operative in Russia -- an oligarchy, and both political "parties" represent the same paymasters -- the billionaire class. Thus, today, the old distinctions have no practical meaning and can be safely discarded as historical artefacts. The "Bernie Sanders wing" exists only for comic relief and to keep the American public from realising that they've been entirely had and that they do not live in a first-world country any longer.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

So I missed National Skirt Day - well there is St. Pats day Sunday March 17 and then another opportunity Saturday April 6 USA National Tartan day.

AND then your very own personal day - any time you want to celebrate on your own schedule !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

It past and went without me knowing ............ but I can guarrantee that I was wearing a skirt.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
papato15

Post by papato15 »

I did make it out on National Skirt Day. Even went to a small shop that only had women in it, and a few bigger box stores along with the local mall. Disappointingly, I was the only one wearing a skirt.
All that shopping and I never did find a skirt that I liked.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

National Skirt Day was just another skirted, Ho-Hum, day for me. :|

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
mr seamstress

Post by mr seamstress »

Here in America tomorrow March 17 is St. Patrick Day. Wearing green to honour Irish. A great day to wear a kilt that has green colour in it. Planning to wear mine tomorrow.