Sir Garyson Perry is "just a man who likes to wear dresses"

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Sir Garyson Perry is "just a man who likes to wear dresses"

Post by greenboots »

In the latest episode of Young Again on BBC Radio 4, Kirst Young interviews Sir Grayson Perry, an artist and rebel who famously wore an Alice in Wonderland dress to an exhibition launch, and a frilly pink frock to receive his knighthood.

Amongst other comments, towards the end he says (from memory, as I can't find it in a hurry):
My wardrobe contains hundreds of dresses, without room for bosoms. That's because I'm not a woman, just a man who likes to wear dresses
You can listen here (probably UK only): https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001wqf2
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Sir Garyson Perry is "just a man who likes to wear dresses"

Post by Kirbstone »

Sir Grayson has become a respected authority on art in the UK. Only a couple of years ago the BBC commissioned him to deliver the Reith Lecture series on Radio 4 on the subject of Art.
His audience were only interested in what he had to say on the subject, not in what clothes he wore.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Kirbstone wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:39 pm His audience were only interested in what he had to say on the subject, not in what clothes he wore.
Tom, I have no idea how that audience is chosen, but it is hardly likely to have been composed of Norman Normals and Agnes Averages.
Any interest in Sir Grayson's dress sense would have been well known and sated, plus the man was selected for his work for the world of art, not his clothes.
Actually, since it was a radio broadcast, he could have been in his birthday suit for all you know.
Had that been broadcast on mainstream terrestrial BBC, I'd bet a large portion of said audience, would have been just as interested in his sartorial display if not more so than in his artistic expertise.
It's been rather a long time, since his alter-ego Claire was introduced to the public, but do you honestly believe that "she" has less to do with his wider fame than his artistic work, because I certainly don't.
Ironically, and I quote, "Cross-dressing is a lot less fun since I became famous".
The rebellious cross dresser has become a national treasure, ensconced in the established elite and it doesn't really suit her nature.
For what it's worth, Sir Claire/Grayson Perry wouldn't really be welcome here or would his other credentials compensate?
Maybe that's for the mods, but you inspired it.
I have no great feeling on the subject, but I am heartily sick of anybody saying that a guy can wear atypical clothes and nobody will notice or disapprove.
Much as we might wish otherwise, there are still many many kids out there ostracised by family and just because they dare to be different.
I wonder how his "family" who failed him as a youngster, feel about their actions now.
As I said, the world of the non compliant can be a very cruel and lonely place, pretending otherwise is pointless.
Unless you mean very rich and famous celebrities that is.
Steve.
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

STEVIE wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:58 am
Kirbstone wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:39 pm His audience were only interested in what he had to say on the subject, not in what clothes he wore.

For what it's worth, Sir Claire/Grayson Perry wouldn't really be welcome here or would his other credentials compensate?
Maybe that's for the mods, but you inspired it.
I for one would welcome him. His clothes are not what I would wear, but they make life more interesting, If I were to meet him and he was wearing trousers, I would be disappointed. His documentaries talk a great deal of sense and his views would be an asset to this site. We are all different and we wear skirts and dresses for different reasons. Vive la difference!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Rivegauche,
I'd love to have the opportunity for a face to face with him.
Not for the art or the clothes, but just because he has such an interesting take on life and society.
I once saw him in "biker" mode and the persona was as far removed from Claire as I could imagine.
Strip all that away and there's a hell of a complex individual in there.
He would probably have made a first class actor too.
Sadly, I can't think of a modern TV interviewer who'd do him justice.
Steve.
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

Kirbstone wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:39 pm Sir Grayson has become a respected authority on art in the UK. Only a couple of years ago the BBC commissioned him to deliver the Reith Lecture series on Radio 4 on the subject of Art.
I remember that year listening to him. Sir Grayson Perry is one of a number of eccentric UK gents. I tend to put him in the same box as Boy George and Eddie Izzard. While I was dressing in skirts alone in private, these guys had worked out how to dress in skirts in public and get paid for it.
Daily, a happy man in a skirt...
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Mouse wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:37 am these guys had worked out how to dress in skirts in public and get paid for it
Exactly Mouse,
I should have said in my original reply, Grayson Perry is in no way "just a guy", who likes to wear dresses.
Boy George is noted for the "gender bending", less so his music and Sir Grayson, "Little Miss Muffet" less than his artistic ability.
In their earliest days, they both took a lot of criticism which obviously helped in the long run.
Somehow, I don't see George O'Dowd getting a knighthood anytime soon though.
I wonder what he'd wear at the ceremony if he did?
Steve.
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

I really wish the term "freestyler" would replace the.term crossdresser (English form) or transvestite (Latin term).

John
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

STEVIE wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:40 pm .
Strip all that away and there's a hell of a complex individual in there.
He would probably have made a first class actor too.
Sadly, I can't think of a modern TV interviewer who'd do him justice.
Steve.
I agree he’s a complex individual. I think the point he was making with “just a guy” was that there was no specific sexual or gender issue, it was his choice - whether for complex or simple reasons.

I think you’re right about TV interviewers, but Kirsty Young did an excellent job on radio. I did see a brief interview with him on TV last year- can’t remember where - and he was just lounging around in trousers. No one made an issue of his clothing, which is as it should be.
Midas
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Midas »

He reminds me more of a pantomime dame than just a man in a dress.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

I have just watched my first interview with Grayson Perry. He's a man after my own heart. That is to say I hearty agreed with what he said.

I.also.found he had a programme about masculinity on C4 which I 100% missed 7 years ago. It's a shame that his wise words have been washed away and nobody has taken what he has said and acted on it.

To think that when I first appeared in a skirt 2 years ago my neighbour said: "are you going to dress up like Grayson Perry next?". I googled an image of him and was insulted. I should not have been insulted. He's ok.

I need to find a link to his documentary.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

After a Google Search, I found these clips,

Grayson Perry on masculinity

Grayson Perry discusses his gender identity | BORN RISKY

Interesting :!:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

Uncle Al wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:59 pm After a Google Search, I found these clips,

Grayson Perry on masculinity
He was being interviewed on the publication of his book. https://amzn.eu/d/3GhrVkJ
Uncle Al wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:59 pm Grayson Perry discusses his gender identity | BORN RISKY

Interesting :!:
Yes, there is a lot of Grayson Perry on YouTube and it is interesting. One thing is, he uses "transvestite" to describe himself quite a bit....
Daily, a happy man in a skirt...
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

Mouse wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:48 am
Yes, there is a lot of Grayson Perry on YouTube and it is interesting. One thing is, he uses "transvestite" to describe himself quite a bit....
I think the term is too much criticized, perhaps because of a connection with sexuality which is not always appropriate. While binary clothing still exists, I think it's still a usable word, and makes the point that the prefix "trans", as in "transgender", can mean things other than "transsexual" (and I'm not sure why that term fell out of favour either, since it is useful to distinguish people who want to be - or think they are - the other sex from those who just want to break the boundaries of gender expression).
jamie001
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamie001 »

Myopic Bookworm wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:23 am
Mouse wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:48 am
I think the term is too much criticized, perhaps because of a connection with sexuality which is not always appropriate. While binary clothing still exists, I think it's still a usable word, and makes the point that the prefix "trans", as in "transgender", can mean things other than "transsexual" (and I'm not sure why that term fell out of favour either, since it is useful to distinguish people who want to be - or think they are - the other sex from those who just want to break the boundaries of gender expression).
I really do not like the work transvestite ot tranny for short. It still has a perverted sexual connotation that I believe is not good for our cause. Crossdresser is not a great term, but I accept it because the definition is accurate and it applies to me. The only really positive term for us here in the Cafe is Gender Non-conforming (GNC). It does not have any negative connotations and simply means that we do not conform to gender stereotypes. gender expectations, and gendered clothing constraints. I hope that GNC becomes more widely used to describe us.