Hello from South UK

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
Dave

Hello from South UK

Post by Dave »

Hi all

Been lurking for a while, finally time to take the plunge. I've been wearing skirts and dresses for many years, until December last year mainly in private, I've got a 21st Century Kilt which I brought about 10 years ago in denim, which is great but heavy for everyday wear. Like many have had years of therapy for gender related issues, but have finally come to the conclusion that I am who I am, so am choosing to get on with life. I have 3 grown up children who don't seem bothered, and a supportive wife, who puts up with me :D . I work for myself, but my when onsite, my job is too physical and client facing to wear a skirt to work, however I am lucky in that the majority of my working time is spent working at home. I live in a small village, but no real issues with acceptance which is great. London of course is probably the best place to go unnoticed.

I wear clothes from across the divide, I am fascinated by the general social constructs of shops / fashion and gender identity, (humans seem to be very focussed on which side of a shop something is sold in as to whether we can have permission to wear it). I brought up in the 70's/80's so very much brainwashed into conforming to norms. However have a love of clothes and putting together outfits :-)

So that's a bit about me, generally got to the point in life of no longer caring what others think.

Dave (Well not actually Dave, but Trigger calls me Dave)...
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Hello from South UK

Post by Mouse »

Hi Dave,

Welcome aboard.

Your story is so similar to a number of us on this site. You are in the fortunate state of having support/acceptance from your close family. I think if you have that side of you life sorted, the going out in public is the easier thing to get to. I also run my own business, mainly in London and since CoVid I have worn skirts for all of my work. I travel on the tube skirted, many days a week. I get no problems and so far I have lost no clients. I am amazed and enjoy life so much running around in a skirt everyday.

The first time, I too started with a denim kilt. I was convinced something negative would happen, but no. I was ignored!!!
Daily, a happy man in a skirt...
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Welcome Rodney, you have found the right place.
There's a meet up next month if you are interested?
It will be somewhere in central London.
victor1964
Member Extraordinaire

Post by victor1964 »

Hi there Dave,

I lurked for a long time too.

I went to the pre Christmas meet in London and it turned out we are just a diverse bunch of normal guys who, for whatever reason, like to wear skirts. No drama whatsoever.

Welcome

Tony
Neoshaone

Post by Neoshaone »

Isn’t it wonderful to know that there are others like us!
Dave

Post by Dave »

Mouse wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> Welcome aboard.
>
> Your story is so similar to a number of us on this site. You are in the
> fortunate state of having support/acceptance from your close family. I
> think if you have that side of you life sorted, the going out in public is
> the easier thing to get to. I also run my own business, mainly in London
> and since CoVid I have worn skirts for all of my work. I travel on the tube
> skirted, many days a week. I get no problems and so far I have lost no
> clients. I am amazed and enjoy life so much running around in a skirt
> everyday.
>
> The first time, I too started with a denim kilt. I was convinced something
> negative would happen, but no. I was ignored!!!

I have to say in general I am ignored, which is how I want it.. Nothing to see here move along. In the past school children would be the biggest issue for hassle, but nowadays they don't seem to care or comment.

I am very lucky in having support, I have also been very concerned at "influencing" my children, but they have all turned out ok, my Son happily wore tutus and other things growing up, and is now in his twenties and is a greasy mechanic, one daughter interestingly spent her early years wanting to be a boy, and only wore her brothers clothes, and has had her own battles with gender, and the other daughter is now a proud rainbow :) Parents are a different story unfortunately.
Dave

Post by Dave »

victor1964 wrote:
> Hi there Dave,
>
> I lurked for a long time too.
>
> I went to the pre Christmas meet in London and it turned out we are just a
> diverse bunch of normal guys who, for whatever reason, like to wear skirts.
> No drama whatsoever.
>
> Welcome
>
> Tony
Hi Tony

That's good to hear, not sure about meet ups, I am a big introvert and find social settings stressful.
KiltedBigWave
Distinguished Member

Post by KiltedBigWave »

Welcome to the forum Dave, I hope you enjoy the group.
"Look at Scottish guys wearing kilts - you could look at them and laugh, but the way they carry themselves, how can you? You can wear some of the weirdest things and be cool. If you believe in it, that's what makes it cool."
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Dave wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:38 pm victor1964 wrote:
> Hi there Dave,
>
> I lurked for a long time too.
>
> I went to the pre Christmas meet in London and it turned out we are just a
> diverse bunch of normal guys who, for whatever reason, like to wear skirts.
> No drama whatsoever.
>
> Welcome
>
> Tony
Hi Tony

That's good to hear, not sure about meet ups, I am a big introvert and find social settings stressful.
Hi Dave, I've sent you a PM about the meet-up. I hope you can make it.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Hello and :welcome: Dave!

Your wife is supportive, your children don't mind, and you no longer care what people think. You've got it made! Congratulations on making a start last month. Keep on going out skirted, it will get easier and eventually you'll think nothing of it.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
TheSkirtedMan
Member Extraordinaire

Post by TheSkirtedMan »

Hi Dave, from an adhoc member of this forum.

Good to hear from another man in a skirt. Also you have a supportive wife and understanding children.

You are right to adopt the attitude of you are who you are and not bothered about what others think.

Always difficult going out in public the first time, it's natural but as with anything in life its better the next time and the next time. I, and many on this site, find society social constructs very interesting and certainly how they are adopted and played out by society, mostly in a hypocritical way.

My wife and I live very rural in a National Park in Northern England and have no issue, the odd one or two do but then that happens in all walks of life. Personally I do not find rural environments any different to large towns and cities and unless the task at hand makes trousers more suitable, I am not in them!

Enjoy your readings on this site.

From another man in a skirt whose wardrobe is full of skirts, tops, cardigans and scarves, with trousers in the bottom draw!
Be yourself because an original is worth more than a copy.