More gender neutral retail

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Re: More gender neutral retail

Post by Barleymower »

I quite like the Jorts. Big and baggy and below the knee. Baggy trousers like these are rapidly disappearing for men as more women think they look cool.
BTW I don't think it's a deliberate objective to deny men of options. It's just when women take a shine to something them it's inherent masculinity is diminished. The result being that men shy away, afraid that someone will call them out. Sales diminish and they disappear from the racks.
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

I have to say, I didn't even know that jorts was a thing. I am obviously past it. To be fair though the spellchecker doesn't know of then either...

I have however seen guys out with shorts so flappy that I thought for a moment that there was a fellow MIS about.

I also think that we as men, have to man up and wear what we want. I know I am preaching to the choir on this site, but still.
Daily, a happy man in a skirt...
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Mouse wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:22 pm I have to say, I didn't even know that jorts was a thing. I am obviously past it. To be fair though the spellchecker doesn't know of then either...

I have however seen guys out with shorts so flappy that I thought for a moment that there was a fellow MIS about.

I also think that we as men, have to man up and wear what we want. I know I am preaching to the choir on this site, but still.
Mouse Jorts are not a thing really. It stands for jeans-shorts. When I was young they were cut-offs. The last use of worn out jeans.

That's what I like about them is the flappyness.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

STEVIE wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:48 pm search Wildfang on the Urban Outfitters site produces no result.
As for their own site, my impression is "butch/masculine", but without men and still trading on that stereotypical view.
I actually left a comment on the Wildfang website, and got a reasonably emollient response.

I wrote: "If you are keen to step beyond gender norms, why are all your models apparently women? Why are all your clothes designed only for women? For women to adopt practical and faintly masculine styles may have been innovation in my grandmother's day, but to call these styles "gender neutral" nowadays just looks like marketing hype. Where are your men's dungarees and coveralls, your skirts and shirt dresses for men?"

They replied: "We've had male presenting models featured on our website-- with the latest being with our Tall Coverall launch this past Fall (Oct 2023)-- you can see Felix Rockin' our Classic Short Sleeve Coveralls next to Dawn https://www.wildfang.com/products/workw ... l?variant=.

Our styles are gender neutral-- meaning that we don't have a separate men's or women's section on our website. We believe that if you feel good in our product and it fits as desired, then by all means, the product is yours to wear. Of course we would love for all styles to fit every body (type) but sometimes depending on the style and fabric, this may not always be the case. But we do have something for everyone. Just gotta find the right style that works for you and your styling needs. I'm happy to take a look at styles with you if you would like to send over measurements :)

We take feedback very seriously and will definitely share with our team the need for more male representation. Really appreciate you taking the time to write to us and share your thoughts!"

So they have had a male model, and they are open to male customers, even if they don't seem on the face of it to be trying very hard in that direction. Their stores are in Portland (Oregon) and Los Angeles, so it would probably be surprising to see their stuff routinely listed on UK sites.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Myopic Bookworm wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:33 pm So they have had a male model, and they are open to male customers, even if they don't seem on the face of it to be trying very hard in that direction. Their stores are in Portland (Oregon) and Los Angeles, so it would probably be surprising to see their stuff routinely listed on UK sites.
On occasion I get a WildFang AD on Instagram, and every so often it includes a male presenting model, and rarely is said model wearing a skirt. I can't quite say why this is - the company obviously believes in what they are selling - but it feels like it's more-so the butching up of women's styles, and less the softening up of men's. I suspect I know why this is, but I think it's driven a lot by society being more accepting of women who don't conform.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Coder wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:24 pm I suspect I know why this is,
Could it have anything to do with money?

Steve
mr seamstress

Post by mr seamstress »

Found a clothing line that has male models in dress.

https://cerqular.com/collections/gender ... ses-skirts
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Sorry Mr S,
Cerqular is not a straightforward retailer, it is an internet marketing platform.
Take dresses as as single example.
10 is the total under the gender neutral filter, compared to unfiltered 1,882.
I'm in the UK so shipping here is 4 gender neutral and 1,4442 if priced in GBP.
Free shipping narrows the field to 84 overall.
OK, I am retail bashing once more, but hey, these are the facts and I still cannot see how this helps our cause.
Steve.