Ballet Flats and Mary Janes Back on the Runway

News from High Street, for the Fashionistas among us! Couture only here please; if you can buy it off the rack, try another forum.
brennk

Ballet Flats and Mary Janes Back on the Runway

Post by brennk »

It looks like this year will see a return of ballet flats and Mary Janes for men on the fashion runways. Dior has put nearly their entire lineup in ballet flats or Mary Janes. Relative to many other designers, the clothes are even relatively normal.

https://footwearnews.com/gallery/dior-p ... ior-men-3/

There was also one great outfit that looks like a short dress with tights.

https://footwearnews.com/wp-content/upl ... jpg?w=1024
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Ballet Flats and Mary Janes Back on the Runway

Post by Dust »

This is good news. If skirts for men are going to catch on, we need shoes for men to go with them. Most men's formal shoes are ugly, and better partly hidden under a trouser cuff...
KiltedBigWave
Distinguished Member

Post by KiltedBigWave »

I love the ballet flat and mary jane look.
"Look at Scottish guys wearing kilts - you could look at them and laugh, but the way they carry themselves, how can you? You can wear some of the weirdest things and be cool. If you believe in it, that's what makes it cool."
Bertino56
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bertino56 »

I could gladly do away with the term "Mary Janes" as it is too pointedly gender-specific.
How many men and boys are willing to wear a style of footwear commonly known as "Mary Jane?"
(Don't all raise your hands at once!)
Better they should be called "bar shoes," "strap shoes," or "school sandals."
Men and boys wore these shoes for centuries, without any hint of gender displacement.
The name "Mary Jane" didn't show up until about 1904, in the Buster Brown comic strip.
Mary Jane was Buster's girlfriend. The irony is, it was Buster himself wearing these shoes,
not his girlfriend. But the name stuck.
I agree with others here that skirts go better with lighter weight footwear. It seems that
runway fashion shows that feature men in skirts often show them with heavy, clunky boots.
I would much prefer seeing (and wearing) ballet flats, strap shoes, sandals, or trainers.
Having said that, I am really enjoying my size 46 Duckfeet Himmerlands and Lollands.
These are anything but lightweight. A Danish brand, they are presented to their (mostly female)
customers as "Mary Jane" styles. Some potential male customers are probably turned off by
this, but not me!
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

Good, I need to replace mine and with big men's feet It's hard to find a shoe that fits, the companies that I used in the past have quit making my sizes. M13 / WW15
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Bertino56 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:29 am I agree with others here that skirts go better with lighter weight footwear. It seems that
runway fashion shows that feature men in skirts often show them with heavy, clunky boots.
I would much prefer seeing (and wearing) ballet flats, strap shoes, sandals, or trainers.
Having said that, I am really enjoying my size 46 Duckfeet Himmerlands and Lollands.
These are anything but lightweight. A Danish brand, they are presented to their (mostly female)
customers as "Mary Jane" styles. Some potential male customers are probably turned off by
this, but not me!
I have a few of their shoes as well - and prefer to refer to them as "t-bar" or "strap shoes". I think the connotation is a little less weird, and are legitimate names for the same footwear.

You have obviously noted that their products are sold as unisex - I am genuinely curious if they are viewed as such by the Danish where they originate, or if they also fall along gendered lines like they do in the US.
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

Coder wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:45 am You have obviously noted that their products are sold as unisex - I am genuinely curious if they are viewed as such by the Danish where they originate, or if they also fall along gendered lines like they do in the US.
If you go on the company website https://www.duckfeet.com you will find the Mary Janes in the women section. The largest size they sell is 46 which is quite large for a women's shoe range, they normally stop around 43.

The company is slightly confused since this https://www.duckfeet.com/products/duckf ... 80/p-1163/ is in their men's section, but only available in sizes to 46.

Personally I don't care which section any shoe/boot is, if it is made in my size, we are good. Most of the time, if you want the interesting colours, you have to be in the women's lane anyway.
Daily, a happy man in a skirt...
Layne

Post by Layne »

I have both the Mols and the Lolland in a size 46 and can attest to their comfort and quality. Am in the market for a pair of ballet flats in that same size, but so far no luck.
brennk

Post by brennk »

Bertino56 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:29 am I could gladly do away with the term "Mary Janes" as it is too pointedly gender-specific.
How many men and boys are willing to wear a style of footwear commonly known as "Mary Jane?"
(Don't all raise your hands at once!)
Better they should be called "bar shoes," "strap shoes," or "school sandals."
Men and boys wore these shoes for centuries, without any hint of gender displacement.
The name "Mary Jane" didn't show up until about 1904, in the Buster Brown comic strip.
Mary Jane was Buster's girlfriend. The irony is, it was Buster himself wearing these shoes,
not his girlfriend. But the name stuck.
I agree with others here that skirts go better with lighter weight footwear. It seems that
this, but not me!
I agree that we need to do away with the term "Mary Jane." The Scottish shoes that have a similar cut are called "Buckle Brogues," but "strap shoes" works as well. Appreciate everyone's comments.
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

Bertino56 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:29 am I
customers as "Mary Jane" styles.
Despite being a Dane, and Duckfeet.com a Danish company, I have never heard about neither the brand, nor the models Himmerland and Lolland, until I read this.

https://www.duckfeet.com/da/produkter/d ... 79/p-1130/
https://www.duckfeet.com/da/produkter/d ... 79/p-1131/

The name Mary Jane is not mentioned anywhere, the shoes are positioned to women, but sizes including 46 make them fit many men.
They have quite many dealers in Germany, hardly any in home country Denmark.

The men's range comprises Model Løkken, https://www.duckfeet.com/da/produkter/d ... 80/p-1162/. Same sizes, 35 through 46.
GerdG

There ARE viable alternatives to trousers.
Seb

Post by Seb »

Those Himmerlands look really nice, and in so many colours!..

I think I might be in the market for a pair soon. :)
Not alone with a dream, Just a want to be free, With a need to belong,
I am a skirtsman
Freedom, Freedom, Freedom, Freedom
KiltedBigWave
Distinguished Member

Post by KiltedBigWave »

I am in love with the Himmerland and Lolland in black. They will go nice with my kilts
"Look at Scottish guys wearing kilts - you could look at them and laugh, but the way they carry themselves, how can you? You can wear some of the weirdest things and be cool. If you believe in it, that's what makes it cool."
jamie001
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamie001 »

I really like the name “Mary Jane”. When I wear Mary Jane’s women tell me “nice Mary Janes” where did you get them?
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Dust wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:10 pm This is good news. If skirts for men are going to catch on, we need shoes for men to go with them. Most men's formal shoes are ugly, and better partly hidden under a trouser cuff...
The shoes are typically clunky. And the more formal shoes-intended for suits, for example-are extremely limited in terms of color. They are not meant to be noticed.

Somebody compared mens shoes to aircraft carriers. I would compare mens shoes to oil tankers.