Women wearing skirts

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Women wearing skirts

Post by Coder »

STEVIE wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:22 am
Coder wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:23 pm I have to wear pants for my job all week and it helps me (disconnect?) keep work separate in my mind."
Coder, that could very well come from a guy.
LOL - I had the exact same thought. I almost put this under the silly reasons thread, but a mental break from one mode of dress into another probably can be healthy. Plus, I'm fortunate in that I do have freedom at work and it's family which is my reason, ie, "I wear skirts when on my own because that's the only time I can wear them".
STEVIE wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:22 am I am also assuming that in her job, pants/trousers are mandatory, otherwise anything goes for her there too.
In the workplace, that's fair enough, trousers for all, no exceptions!
The problem otherwise is just the good old double standard which can be worse at work than in society in general.
Steve.
I'm pretty sure she works in a lab, but don't quote me on that. Based on what I know of our employer, ppe requirement's are probably pretty strict when it comes to covering legs up.
zjo

Post by zjo »

Stu wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:42 pm I know that women wearing skirts is a bit off topic in this section, but I have something to relate that I found interesting.

I retired from university teaching earlier this year and, while my university email account closed with my retirement, some former colleagues and a few students have my private email address. One former student I shall call Mayumi, was Japanese. She sent a round robin email to university contacts as general chat about where she is and what she has been up to since graduating in 2015 (as they commonly do). Her mails are generally aimed at female contacts and contain a lot of girly stuff that wouldn't normally interest guys. One comment she did make was in response to someone asking her what differences she had noticed going back to Tokyo after spending five years living, studying and working in Lund, Sweden for 6 years. To my surprise, she said that far more women and girls wear skirts in Japan, especially when the weather picks up. She went on to say that she had "rediscovered" how lovely it was to wear skirts again after wearing almost nothing but jeans or leggings in Sweden and had bought several new ones from designer stores in Omotesando Street, which I gather is an exclusive shopping area in Tokyo. Mayumi has secured a very well-paid job in Japan (no doubt because she passed her Master's degree under the tutorship of a brilliant lecturer called Stu :wink:).

When I walk around my local town in the UK, skirts on women are almost a rarity except perhaps on very warm days when more seem to appear.
Hah, I just came back from Tokyo on Monday :D It is true that you see more women wearing skirts there than here in Finland or Sweden but I was actually expecting to see even more of that. I went a couple of times to Omotesando Street and to Harajuku which is on the other end of it. You can see new fashion trends and some really funky clothes there and I also saw a few men wearing skirts but sadly on top of their pants. On another part of Tokyo we went to a really nice restaurant and all the male waiters were wearing some sort of traditional skirt which was easy to miss since it fitted their overall dressing style so seamlessly. We also went to an onsen Ryokan (a traditional Japanese inn) were everybody was wearing a Yukata which is a type of kimono which is the national dress of Japan. It is put on like a bathrope but actually looks and feels more like a dress. It was actually really fun and refreshing to go to dinner, breakfast or anywhere in the hotel when all the men and women were wearing a "dress" :)
big_daddy_thong

Post by big_daddy_thong »

Since, I have started wearing skirts it seems to me that the majority number of women in general daily life are in pants, yoga tights, sweatpants and jeans most of the time. Only in formal occasions do I see women in dresses or skirts.
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

I ride the London tube quite often in a skirt and many times I am the only one in my section, in a skirt.
Daily, a happy man in a skirt...
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Mouse wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:32 am I ride the London tube quite often in a skirt and many times I am the only one in my section, in a skirt.
As a point of interest, women in skirts are rather nice in a variety of ways.
However, in relation to men in skirts, irrelevant.
I'd doubt that the same thought process occurs in reverse to your fellow commuters Mouse.
They may note you as "non-conforming", but that's about it.
Steve.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

denimini wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:14 am
Like some strangers look twice when they see me in a skirt; I now look twice when I see a woman in a skirt.
Come to think of it, so do I. :shock: