Video and commentary on skirts doesn't leave men out.

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Modoc
Member Extraordinaire

Video and commentary on skirts doesn't leave men out.

Post by Modoc »

This news entertainment item on skirts is light and interesting but does give a nod to MIS toward the end and mentions a book that some might find interesting.
https://www.cbs.com/shows/video/Z_7cYdi ... SMUetszff/
“And the time came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.”
― Anaïs Nin
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Video and commentary on skirts doesn't leave men out.

Post by FLbreezy »

I recall talking about her book somewhere 'round these parts, it was a good read of recent fashion history as it relates to skirts and dresses.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

That was a good video - and spent way more time on MIS at the end than I expected.

As for the book they mention - yes it's been discussed about here. It's next on my list, just need to finish a SciFi anthology I'm reading.

A lot of times people here are skeptical that actors wearing skirts or whether a single book or news article can make skirts more normal for men to wear. I'm a firm believer that it's all additive - us wearing skirts, news articles, the times a famous male actor wears one, and so forth - heck we are probably one popular book away from a MIS revolution amongst the tweens. Sometimes I feel that's all it would take - just one pop cultural moment - a zeitgeist (not really using this word correctly) - that would embolden men to step out of their comfort zone.
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

Coder wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:59 pm Sometimes I feel that's all it would take - just one pop cultural moment that would embolden men to step out of their comfort zone.
We just need a deepfake video montage of a certain controversial presidential candidate wearing golf skirts out on the course... :lol:
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

That might turn people off the idea! ;-)
shadowfax
Member Extraordinaire

Post by shadowfax »

Modoc wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:14 pm This news entertainment item on skirts is light and interesting but does give a nod to MIS toward the end and mentions a book that some might find interesting.
https://www.cbs.com/shows/video/Z_7cYdi ... SMUetszff/
I found that your link to the video on CBS Sunday Morning - "The long and short of skirts" opened up a page on CBS web site here in the UK, but the video wasn't visible.
The description of the video was present but not the video.
"The long and short of skirts (5min)
While skirts have hemmed women into traditional notions of femininity, a skirt's length, style and fabric – dangling from the waist with few restrictions – can also connote freedom, wealth and agency. Correspondent Faith Salie talks with fashion designer Christian Siriano, and with Kimberly Chrisman-Campbell, author of "Skirts: Fashioning Modern Femininity in the Twentieth Century," to discuss what skirts tell us about our culture – and how women think of themselves.
Air Date: Oct 8, 2023 "

I found the video on YouTube instead. The link is below.
https://youtu.be/AcWLc-B7DTA
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

FLbreezy wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:39 pm
Coder wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:59 pm Sometimes I feel that's all it would take - just one pop cultural moment that would embolden men to step out of their comfort zone.
We just need a deepfake video montage of a certain controversial presidential candidate wearing golf skirts out on the course... :lol:
OpenAI just announced a text to video service, so why not? Though I suspect there are controls built in to prevent abuse of the system like that.

But as Ray said, it may turn people off of the idea. IMHO - the less politically motivated wearing a skirt is seen the better. I think women had a legitimate human rights issue in terms of wanting to wear pants - you could say the same for us but it’s not in the same ballpark (so to speak). That’s the only political sentiment I’d be comfortable espousing - that is to wear a skirt is a call for equality or the better treatment of others.
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

Coder wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:54 pm you could say the same for us but it’s not in the same ballpark (so to speak).
I see what you did there! :lol:

But yes, men should have the same social acceptance to dress comfortably and stylishly as women. We need to reclaim our biological identity as the roosters of our species (at least once in a while).