Maryland, U.S.A. checking in

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
Epantsimated

Maryland, U.S.A. checking in

Post by Epantsimated »

Hello, all skirt- and kilt-wearing fellows all around. It's very pleasant to find this online community.

I stopped wearing trousers altogether in 2018 and have never looked back. The main reason is that I had found trousers miserably uncomfortable for many years. Eventually, I had the very late realization that there was no law requiring me to wear them! Though I am a generally shy and soft-spoken man, I am also highly unconventional in some ways and accustomed to being seen as odd -- and that was my opening. Most important to me was that it be all or nothing -- that is, I could not accept having to decide on any given day if it was going to be “okay” for me to wear a skirt that day. Thus I went full-time with skirt-wearing.

Not satisfied with what was “out there” in terms of men’s skirts, I started making my own, learning to sew along the way (still far from an expert sewist!). Eventually I made a kilt, and now I make and wear both. My look so far is in the “business suit” kind of area.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Maryland, U.S.A. checking in

Post by denimini »

Welcome and very clever screen name. It helps to be concidered odd to start with as not much you do will surprise people you know ............. And the ones you don' t know it does'nt matter.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Welcome aboard. I think your line: "I could not accept having to decide on any given day if it was going to be “okay” for me to wear a skirt that day. Thus I went full-time with skirt-wearing." should be one of the foundational concepts for men as they decide to do as they like -- "OKAY" is always there, including pretty much anything from diapers to tux -- but a conceptual basis of knowing it is OKAY is a great aide.

Looking forward to hearing more of your insights and adventures in the MIS's world.

Pura Vida,
Faldaguy, Costa Rica
Ozdelights
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ozdelights »

denimini wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:56 am Welcome and very clever screen name. It helps to be concidered odd to start with as not much you do will surprise people you know ............. And the ones you don' t know it does'nt matter.
I couldn't have said it better. The username intrigued me also.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

:welcome:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Seb

Post by Seb »

Hello and welcome!

I hope you consider sharing some of your favorites in the sewing section. I'm very much a novice and would appreciate the inspiration. :)

Do you self draft or follow a pattern?
Not alone with a dream, Just a want to be free, With a need to belong,
I am a skirtsman
Freedom, Freedom, Freedom, Freedom
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Welcome, Epantsimated! I'm another one who has often avoided conformity. There are a few situations where I wear trousers yet, when I am a public representative for a larger group.
Modoc
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Modoc »

:welcome:
Great handle
“And the time came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.”
― Anaïs Nin
Epantsimated

Post by Epantsimated »

Thank you all for the kind welcome! I am looking forward to more interactions, maybe especially in the sewing area.
Epantsimated

Post by Epantsimated »

Seb wrote:
> Do you self draft or follow a pattern?

Thanks!
So far, it has been measure, measure, measure, and then cutting out based on measurements. I will check out the sewing section for sure.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

A belated welcome, epantsimated! Your name is great, one of the best on the site. Besides being a clever pun, it's how I felt when I started wearing skirts regularly.

When you switched to full-time skirt wearing, had you already been doing it publicly so that many people were aware, or did you surprise everyone by going straight from 0 to 100?
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

Hi. I wore a variety of kilts around Maryland in 2010-2012 and received no negative feedback at all, though I did have to do a lot of hasty genealogical research, as people would ask about my Scottish/Irish heritage. I saw a number of other kilts, and not only at the Celtic Festivals or the Renaissance Festival (though there were a lot at both of those!).
Epantsimated

Post by Epantsimated »

skirtyscot wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:57 pm When you switched to full-time skirt wearing, had you already been doing it publicly so that many people were aware, or did you surprise everyone by going straight from 0 to 100?
Hi, skirtyscot!
It was something like 0 to 100, though I had made a few "trial runs" in the months before. It took me a while to figure out a regular set of options in things to wear with the skirt, mostly because I would be wearing them to work every day. I also waited until I had three different skirts. (Those three were all Skirtcraft, but for about two years now I have only been wearing skirts (and a few kilts) that I make myself.)
Happy day!
Rokje
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Rokje »

Hi Epantsimated and velkommen* to the SkirtCafe.

The skirts from Skirtcraft are my favourite too. I got 4 Unalligned skirts years ago, I knew them from the kickstart project that they started.

*Velkommen : Welcome in Norwegian.
I'm learning Norwegian because we are moving from the Netherlands to Norway in a couple of months.
Be proud to wear a skirt or dress, they are just clothes. Yes , they are for men too
I'm Marica, I'm a 59 year old girl.
Learning Norwegian: Jeg er Marica.

8)