the first male skirt to meet success?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Re: the first male skirt to meet success?

Post by dillon »

If things were to dramatically change - and I won't hold my breath waiting - I simply hope for unisex styles adaptable to a range of body types. For now I enjoy being unique, though I would like a few more unique comrades visible, but not sure I am ready for a runaway snowball and don't really expect one. I'm one of those who enjoys bending the unwritten rules, and I wonder if I would enjoy skirts as much if they became commonplace on men.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Big and Bashful wrote:It goes to show that there really is a visible differencebetween skirts cut for males and for females, due to the reasons Carl mentioned above.
Now that IS impressive. However, she had "insider knowledge" of construction technique that comparatively few of us possess.
(I'm really going to miss Midas!)
Have there been any hints at all as to what's happening?

Some of Lance's earlier offerings really appealed to my eye, but the latter ones not so much. The latter ones seemed "forced". I hope he's OK.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

dillon wrote:If things were to dramatically change - and I won't hold my breath waiting - I simply hope for unisex styles adaptable to a range of body types. For now I enjoy being unique, though I would like a few more unique comrades visible, but not sure I am ready for a runaway snowball and don't really expect one. I'm one of those who enjoys bending the unwritten rules, and I wonder if I would enjoy skirts as much if they became commonplace on men.

At present, the few who stand out from the trousered herd are iconoclasts.

Other than those who are hesitant but interested, I'm not going to worry about the herd.
Last edited by Grok on Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

In this context I'd presume success would be defined as widespread and commercially successful.
I'd forward another one, acceptance of the garment as a piece of everyday wear at a local level.
My "Nukilt" can be well admired but it's not going anywhere anytime soon. That's my one and only "male skirt".
On the other hand, I wear a skirt every day and it's these that cause most thought.
I doubt that very few people would have the expertise to differentiate between a "male" or "female" skirt anyway.
B&B, I seriously reckon that lady missed out on a potential earner.
Which side of the aisle it came from won't matter, it looks good.
The style won't matter, it suits.
The wearer won't matter, he's just him.
That's where success will come, no one will care about who wears whatever.
It will not be a single design or style,just one of many.
It will evolve.
Steve.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Big and Bashful wrote:(I'm really going to miss Midas!)
This does not look good at all. The MIDAS site as expressed as a co.uk domain returns a blank page with placeholders of:

Code: Select all

$AUTODEPLOY: root@sedo:/var/www/sedo/easyspace/holding$
$AUTODEPLOY: root@sedo2:/var/www/sedo/easyspace/holding$
and the one occupying the US-centric dot-com domain returns a domain-squatter page.

I believe Lance is in the Manchester, England area. Can somebody take a quick online look around? Nothing I turned up had any relevance. His is a name that goes quite a way back when it comes to our collective vision.

Either a public or private answer would be most welcome.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

I happened to work in a gift shop/fireplace store that was going out of business; in fact, I was the employee who locked up the store on the last day it was open.

It was a crazy time, instensely busy.

This may be an odd metaphor, but I have to wonder if a web site can persist as a sort of ghost, after the actual business is gone. It might be awhile before somebody gets around to pulling the plug on the site.
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

Grok wrote:This may be an odd metaphor, but I have to wonder if a web site can persist as a sort of ghost, after the actual business is gone. It might be awhile before somebody gets around to pulling the plug on the site.
I'm sure they can hang around for awhile until whoever hosts it notices they haven't been paid or until the domain name registry expires for non-renewal and is grabbed by the previously mentioned squatter.
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
Couya
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Couya »

I am wondering how long it will be before the plug is pulled on y own website, since I have had the ended the telephone contract in Grenoble. If anyone is interested in learning about my favorite pastimes, or reading te true story of the prisoner in the Sahara, look before it is too late at <http://scots.in.france.pagesperso-orange.fr/index.htm>

There is of course some reference to my kilts (the most successful male skirt!).

Martn
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

A week or so I emailled Lance (it's an email address linked to the Midas site, no reply so far, the last time he responded was when I tried to order a skirt from the site to discover that the website wasn't working properly. Lance said something about having just gone into hospital for something so it would be a while until he could get the site sorted. Now the site has dissappeared and he hasn't replied to me. As it was a Midas email address the last email might just have flown off into nowhere. I will try once more, with delivery and read reciepts switched on to see if the email actually goes somewhere.
Has anyone ever tried contacting them through their Facebook page?
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Dana wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:39 pm

That said, I like nearly all of the skirts I purchased but the ones I am choosing to go out in look similar to shorts. Cargo shorts seem to fit the bill perfectly and don't trigger people to take a second look. In other words, I doubt anyone even gets a hit that I'm actually wearing a skirt, but I am. For those who notice, I believe that the look is so similar to shorts, that it doesn't register as such a shock to their perception of what "should be" and the concept registers as acceptable instead of odd or offensive. This is what I believe is needed to initially chip away, and shift the public perception of men wearing skirts and this is why I think tinkering with current acceptable garment looks is what will help the concept succeed in a big way.

So on to the point relating to this thread. I think skirts that are not too far outside of the general look that people seem to expect would be the best way to launch the acceptance of men wearing them AND it would prompt more men who have always wanted to wear skirts, to actually begin doing it.
Skirts that resemble shorts....I believe that would be a legal fiction.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Grok wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:38 pm Skirts that resemble shorts....I believe that would be a legal fiction.
Ye gods, Grok, you are going to create the war of the words with that one.
We will see untold syllabic outpourings and biblical floods of verbiage.
Still very amusing though.
Nice one.
Steve.