Overall skirts

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
ReverendGnauty

Overall skirts

Post by ReverendGnauty »

Evening, folks! I'm currently in the process of converting an old pair of Key Overalls into a dress/skirt/thing/I don't know exactly... What would you fellows recommend to make this a more comfortable thing to wear? Some form of stretchy denim on the skirt, perhaps?
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Overall skirts

Post by Mouse »

ReverendGnauty wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:23 pm Evening, folks! I'm currently in the process of converting an old pair of Key Overalls into a dress/skirt/thing/I don't know exactly... What would you fellows recommend to make this a more comfortable thing to wear? Some form of stretchy denim on the skirt, perhaps?
Hi ReverendGnauty, I would have thought that some form of denim would be a good start. I presume you would make the outer part of the skirt from the legs of the trouser-part and then let in a panel front and back. Depending on the look required the new part could contrast or match.

You may find better answers by posting this question in the 'sewing' forum.

Also I notice that this is your first post so welcome to the cafe. You may want to post in the 'introduction' forum so more members can notice you and welcome you here. We are a friendly bunch.
Daily, a happy man in a skirt...
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

I don't have any advice, but this reminded me that I used to wear overalls when I was a kid on the farm and they were so comfortable. I kinda would love to wear a skirt-all sometime but I suspect it would be a bridge too far for my wife. I think finding a proper fit would also be tough because I'm rather tall and don't have breasts. :lol:
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

I would like to have a set/pair of 'Bib Overalls' converted into a knee-length dress.
A skirt-all, from what I've found, is akin to Overalls but with short 'legs' instead of
covering the full leg. The basic design is still there but lacking in original functionality.
This would keep all of the pockets needed by 99% of the people wearing 'Bib Overalls'.
(A person tends to run out of pocket space ;) )

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
shadowfax
Member Extraordinaire

Post by shadowfax »

ReverendGnauty wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:23 pm Evening, folks! I'm currently in the process of converting an old pair of Key Overalls into a dress/skirt/thing/I don't know exactly... What would you fellows recommend to make this a more comfortable thing to wear? Some form of stretchy denim on the skirt, perhaps?
There is a thread in the "Sewing" part of the forum, started in 2019 by Grok, called, "Jeans-to-skirt Conversion".
Here is a link to the thread.

There may be some useful information which might help?

Edit - In his thread linked above, Grok mentions another thread by Clay, called, "Converting Jeans to a Skirt".
Here is a link to the thread.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

I noticed that there are a few online tutorials for this sort of DIY conversion.