Hello from Sweden

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
Seb

Hello from Sweden

Post by Seb »

Hello,

I've been hiding out here in a dark corner as a guest for the last half year and I feel its about time to make my presence known. You all seem to be a good fellowship and similarly inclined as myself. I'm 36 years old and live in a small town in the mid-Swedish country side and work in a hospital.

It all started the first time I was home from school alone, age 8-9. I found a yellow dress of my sisters in the laundry hamper and tried it on... And loved the feeling, nothing constricting my waist or trying to slide down and it was fun to spin around in. I kept it a secret, not really the right family to do otherwise. As a teen I got two dresses from a friend id confided in, proper A line ones with a 240cm hem. I spent a lot of nights solo camping in a tent out in the woods just to lay around in them reading sci-fi books.

Then as so happens, life got in the way, I did my Military service year, moved out, got a degree, married a girl, bought a house, had a kid and time ticked on, I was so busy that my love for dresses was mostly forgotten. Then one day, about a year and a half ago we were all out of the normal
scrubs at work, but there were dresses left, I donned one with the normal scrub trousers under and the memories sure came back, we were 5-6 lads in dresses working the ward that day! Of course I sent a picture to my wife and we had a good laugh about it. A few months later she asked me to be a living dress form and I obliged, she was making a full circle skirted dress, so I had a twirl while it was pinned on me and the bug bit me again, just a little bit harder this time.

After secretly trying on most of her dresses for a month I had to talk to
her about it, this time it was here to stay. I knew she would be kind of
supportive, but we had a very, very rough patch, she was convinced I was
going to come out some rainbow variant at the end of it all and her anxiety
got the better of her. But I think I'm starting to turn her around to the
notion that it is just clothes and I sure look a lot better when I make an
effort rather than the usual joggers/jeans and a oversized tee/jumper.

I started wearing the dress scrubs at work one year ago, though still over trousers(as I'd rather not get blood or worse on my legs/tights). I meet a lot of people at work which has helped my confidence a lot and just help build up a norm. The first week one colleague tried to tease me about it twice("Ah, its a long shirt day today!") but the third time he saw me in it he said nothing. A few compliments and quite a few smiles but so far not a single bad comment or even look.
I have a few tunics and sweater dresses that are(IMO) too short to wear without trousers/shorts under and I have not made it out (visibly) in public in with the dresses that are long enough, but with a jumper over they look like a skirt but with the comfort of a dress.
My wife convinced me to buy a kilt (well not a real wool tartan one, a cheap cotton/poly one), I'm hoping it can be a good bridge to get both her and me used to me being beskirted in public without trousers. Its a wrap skirt in a plaid pattern with some half-hearted pleats rather than a Kilt, but I better not tell the missus :wink: .

I think my preference is still dresses, I like that they hang from the shoulders so they don't fall down even with laden pockets and there is no belt/elastic/tight fitting etc around the waist that feels awkward when sitting down(my waist and hips are almost the same measurement, so its hard to get things to stay where I want them). I like the hem to right under my knee and A-line. If it was entirely up to me I don't think I would wear anything else as main garments anymore, just complement with tights, jumpers/jackets as needed, but I'm not quite there yet.

Wow, that was long! But maybe one of you will find it an interesting read.
Not alone with a dream, Just a want to be free, With a need to belong,
I am a skirtsman
Freedom, Freedom, Freedom, Freedom
Uncle Al

Re: Hello from Sweden

Post by Uncle Al »

:welcome:
You'll find many like-minded people here and the clothing choices
run the gamut from long dresses, to mini skirts and kilts :D

So, grab a cup and join in the conversations.
(Just don't pour out left over coffee into the Potted Palm ;) )

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
KiltedBigWave
Distinguished Member

Post by KiltedBigWave »

I loved your introduction and welcome you to Skirt Cafe. Years ago, I loved the short empire waist dresses the most. but in the past years have gone to almost entirely short skirts and kilts.

Again, welcome.
"Look at Scottish guys wearing kilts - you could look at them and laugh, but the way they carry themselves, how can you? You can wear some of the weirdest things and be cool. If you believe in it, that's what makes it cool."
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Welcome to the forum of the merry skirted folk.
You don't have to be dressed or skirted to participate in this forum - - -
But it sure helps with fitting right in with this crowd !
And don't be afraid to toss a kilt around for a conversation starter !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Welcome Seb, and I expect that rural Sweden is indeed a dark corner at this time of year.....even darker than here.
Your story was of great interest and I note that you have your wifey on board. Advantage nr. One.

You're probably about half my age, so you have a great many years of skirting before you. Enjoy!

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Welcome aboard Seb. I did enjoy the "long" introduction. Your story has many elements we read frequently in this Cafe. It seems you've come a fair way along the path to finding comfort in skirts/dresses, with the boon of a 'supportive' spouse. It does sound like you both are working well toward to easing into the realm where your clothing choice is 'just another day' thing. Keep following and posting -- lots of good insights here, and a few still 'fearful' and they project worries that those of us who wear our chosen attire daily both at home and in public have found are unfounded. Move forward with confidence and you'll find it is a placid and pleasant world out there for MIS!

Pura vida, from Ticolandia (Costa Rica)
Sepchugang

Post by Sepchugang »

Tusen takk for sharing your story Seb and welcome to the cafe
Sep
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Seb, an excellent introduction. Welcome to Skirtcafe!
Seb

Post by Seb »

Thank you all for the warm welcome!

Its indeed cold and dark here this time of year, the warmest we have had the last three weeks is -4°c and today is predicted to -12°c. So I'm mostly hiding under my wife's old maxi length down coat outdoors. Last saturday I had the Aurora light up the sky for my 45min drive to work so there sure are a few highlights too. :)

Tomorrow I'm off to a Christmas party with my work colleuges and I'm planning on wearing my kilt, tights and a knit sweater. They've seen me in the dress scrub for a year but never beskirted outside work, so that's exciting... And a little scary 8)
Not alone with a dream, Just a want to be free, With a need to belong,
I am a skirtsman
Freedom, Freedom, Freedom, Freedom
Rokje
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Rokje »

Tusen takk Seb

A big velkommen to the Cafe
Be proud to wear a skirt or dress, they are just clothes. Yes , they are for men too
I'm Marica, I'm a 59 year old girl.
Learning Norwegian: Jeg er Marica.

8)