Incognito

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Incognito

Post by crfriend »

shadowfax wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:16 pmTBH I wish that the administrators made it compulsory to fill in one's location. :wink: :)
It really doesn't much matter, and we're not going to demand it any more than we demand anything else save for gender-honesty. Note where I list as a "location" -- it's quite imprecise, even if I do know the location of my domicile down to a couple of millimetres. Even the "ICBM Address" I use in my e-mail sig-block is slightly obfuscated. I do the same thing for my birthday: very few know the precise date.

Anyway, listing the community one resides in, unless it's positively tiny, yields sufficient anonymity so nothing critical is likely to leak out.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Re: The meaning of "chuffed" when used by a Brit

Post by pelmut »

shadowfax wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:56 pm [...]
chuffed
(phonetic - chuhft)
Adjective - Chiefly British Informal.

delighted; pleased; satisfied

Example of usage.
We're absolutely chuffed to have won the game.
Example of mis-usage:
The train spotter was chuffed to death when the steam-hauled express arrived unexpectedly early.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
shadowfax
Member Extraordinaire

Re: The meaning of "chuffed" when used by a Brit

Post by shadowfax »

pelmut wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:47 pm
shadowfax wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:56 pm [...]
chuffed
(phonetic - chuhft)
Adjective - Chiefly British Informal.

delighted; pleased; satisfied

Example of usage.
We're absolutely chuffed to have won the game.
Example of mis-usage:
The train spotter was chuffed to death when the steam-hauled express arrived unexpectedly early.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
shadowfax
Member Extraordinaire

Post by shadowfax »

Mouse wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:45 pm I have updated my profile to show location. Thanks shadowfax for pointing out the omission.
:thumleft:
shadowfax
Member Extraordinaire

Post by shadowfax »

crfriend wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:57 pm
shadowfax wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:16 pmTBH I wish that the administrators made it compulsory to fill in one's location. :wink: :)
It really doesn't much matter, and we're not going to demand it any more than we demand anything else save for gender-honesty. Note where I list as a "location" -- it's quite imprecise, even if I do know the location of my domicile down to a couple of millimetres. Even the "ICBM Address" I use in my e-mail sig-block is slightly obfuscated. I do the same thing for my birthday: very few know the precise date.

Anyway, listing the community one resides in, unless it's positively tiny, yields sufficient anonymity so nothing critical is likely to leak out.
IMHO A country's name in "Location", UK, USA, Australia say, might help avoid misunderstandings with language.

I take your point about compulsion. That's fine. :)

I agree with you that an exact location within the country, isn't necessary.