Skirt wearing boys in Japan

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Tazzmac

Re: Skirt wearing boys in Japan

Post by Tazzmac »

Over the years with Anime they've had a fair bit of boys in skirts ..I wonder is it because there is a desire for real lads to try a skirt or anime's influence occurs.. Either way it's fine with me...Keep saying it ..what a person chooses to wear bears no influence on what sort of person they are in my book ..It should be personal preference no right to question ...unfortunately though the Western real world discriminates . Ironically lots of cultures actually are dominated by skirt type clothing.. not least in many Pacific /Asian countries ..When it's all said and done the difference between shorts (quite acceptable) and skirts (frowned upon by too many) is a small section of cloth we call a crotch ..That's all..
Strangely if a bloke was to choose a skort it's the bloody same discrimination , yet skorts are divided ...How hypocritical eh ...I bought one at an Op Shop once ...Still have it ..It's really short but it has a crotch , can't wear it really but yet I have some shorts that show more but that's fine. Very odd...Cheers...
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Tazzmac wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:32 am Strangely if a bloke was to choose a skort it's the bloody same discrimination , yet skorts are divided ...How hypocritical eh ...I bought one at an Op Shop once ...Still have it ..It's really short but it has a crotch , can't wear it really but yet I have some shorts that show more but that's fine. Very odd...Cheers...
It is very odd. Before I discovered skirts I used to wear short shorts in the interest of coolness and free leg movement but they were real nutcrackers if I squatted down. The shorts used to show more leg and body "contours" than my shortest mini skirt, sort of like looking at a light bulb instead of a lamp shade ............. if you get the gist. A skort will give a bit more modesty at the front at the expense of discomfort.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

Story from Japanese news two years ago. I am told that things have moved on since then and, while it isn't exactly common to see schoolboys turning up in skirts, it's by no means exceptional.

"Short hair like a man"
"Why don't you wear more feminine clothes?"
There is a high school boy who wears a skirt to school and questions this ``character'' that he casually hears about. What is the reason for wearing skirts in Japanese society, which is said to have strong peer pressure? (Hiroshima Broadcasting Station reporter Yasue Hata)

``I thought that even men look great in skirts.Boys at this school are also allowed to wear skirts, so I thought I'd try it on myself.It was fun to be able to move my legs freely.'' But if you consider it as an option for clothing, there's nothing wrong with it."

Mr. Kubo also came from Mie Prefecture because he wanted to attend this high school, which has a lot of international exchange. I have left my parents' home and am living in a dormitory. My parents bought me the uniform skirt, which cost about 15,000 yen, as a birthday present. I honestly asked her mother what she thought when her son asked her if he wanted to buy a skirt.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/202104 ... 51000.html
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

crfriend wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:39 pm
1. March on, wear what you want. Take the flack and sacrifice whatever gets in the way of that.
2. Blend in, become the "grey man". That is wear bland in offensive clothes that they say we can wear
3. Join the LGBTQ+ group and fight for universal acceptance and wear what you want.
4. Give up and put your trousers on.
That's only three options because two and four are effectively the same thing. One winds up "back in the coffin". Personally, I find that unacceptable.

Three would only draw further ire from the reactionaries and would not be effective in what passes for modern society which is in a highly reactive mode now. It would likely work contrary to our desires.

One looks to be the best option -- to be the rogue, the maverick, the one that stands out. Some folks respect that, and I have several fairly right-wing friends who accept me completely as I am, so not all is lost. Where it gets dicey is the idiot on the street, and that's where "street smarts" come in as a defence. The drawback is, "Get ready to be lonely."
I would say that 2 and 4 are different. Two would include things like kilt wearing, striving for that "invisible" skirt in denim or khaki, and so on. This still furthers the cause...
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Dust wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:52 pm
I would say that 2 and 4 are different. Two would include things like kilt wearing, striving for that "invisible" skirt in denim or khaki, and so on. This still furthers the cause...
Yes that is probably a better way..it's maybe not exactly what you want to wear but it's not just tarten or utilikilt.
The look can be tasteful, quality and understated. If you find out, let me know. It's easier said than done.
Check out Coder's looks; he puts a lot of thought into what he wears.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Barleymower wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:29 pm
Yes that is probably a better way..it's maybe not exactly what you want to wear but it's not just tarten or utilikilt.
The look can be tasteful, quality and understated. If you find out, let me know. It's easier said than done.
Check out Coder's looks; he puts a lot of thought into what he wears.
I do - maybe too much thought at times, and not enough at others. I would hope I fall into camp #1, though sometimes I have intentionally chosen #2 based on circumstances. My threshold of "fear" has reduced considerably and I have been wearing much bolder styles as of late.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

crfriend wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:39 pm
1. March on, wear what you want. Take the flack and sacrifice whatever gets in the way of that.
2. Blend in, become the "grey man". That is wear bland in offensive clothes that they say we can wear
3. Join the LGBTQ+ group and fight for universal acceptance and wear what you want.
4. Give up and put your trousers on.
That's only three options because two and four are effectively the same thing. One winds up "back in the coffin". Personally, I find that unacceptable.

Three would only draw further ire from the reactionaries and would not be effective in what passes for modern society which is in a highly reactive mode now. It would likely work contrary to our desires.

One looks to be the best option -- to be the rogue, the maverick, the one that stands out. Some folks respect that, and I have several fairly right-wing friends who accept me completely as I am, so not all is lost. Where it gets dicey is the idiot on the street, and that's where "street smarts" come in as a defence. The drawback is, "Get ready to be lonely."
I would put kilting in category number 5. Denim or khaki I would list as its own separate category, number 2.
Tazzmac

Post by Tazzmac »

IMG_20231231_203945.jpg
Can't load two photos at once for some reason ...This is a skort I found in an Op Shop a few years ago ...I took a picture of it also with the hem lifted to expose the shorts and resized it to 23% ..Won't load ...Will add seperately soon ..My point is that technically this is as much shorts as skirt but I know what I'd get if I wore it publicly..Wouldn't I ...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tazzmac

Post by Tazzmac »

IMG_20231231_204029 (2).jpg
Here is the skort in all it's divided glory ...

So , If you wore it and tucked the skirt part in...what would people say ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

I would like a jacket and skirt of my own, as shown in the original photo's.
I think it looks really good and well put together.

This is a video made 3 years ago.
It has English subtitles and interesting.
How far can you go for somebody you like?

This is another cute clip that is animated.
The Boys Of Our School Wear Skirts | Animated Story
It also shows that kids can go up against bullies.

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

The images confirm what I expected-that longer skirts work well (aesthetically) with longer jackets. Its a matter of proportion.