Dressing for Fall and winter

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Dressing for Fall and winter

Post by rivegauche »

timemeddler wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:07 am just out of curiosity, has anyone tried petticoats under their skirt if cold weather? I was wondering because I've heard some of the ladies at my square dance club make comments about them getting hot.
As I only wear tights up to 40d so ut can get a bit cold. It is 7C below here (well, outside, 20 inside) and I have a waist slip on under my dress and it is definitely warmer. I was out in a dress on the hottest day ever in the UK. Though I had bare legs, it became to warm and I had to remove my cotton waist slip. So the slip definitely makes a difference to perceived temperature.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Absolutely, yes. Petticoats can either be for show (as in the ones that dancers wear) or they can be very functional pieces of clothing designed to give shape to outer garments or provide warmth in the winter-time.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

timemeddler wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:07 am just out of curiosity, has anyone tried petticoats under their skirt if cold weather? I was wondering because I've heard some of the ladies at my square dance club make comments about them getting hot.
Yes, in Winter I nearly always wear a petticoat or underskirt. The double-layer insulates far better than a thicker single layer because of the air trapped between the two materials. A flounced or double hem on the underskirt can reduce the amount of cold air blowing up it in windy weather.

If I am too warm at a dance, I can easily go into the toilet, pull down the underskirt, step out of it and bundle it into my bag -- as long as I am not wearing my flimsiest and most transparent skirt.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
timemeddler
Distinguished Member

Post by timemeddler »

turns out i had some cheap satin material on hand, so I made an underskirt just short enough to work with my longer skirts, now I need a chilly day to try it out, definitaly keeps the skirt from clinging to my tights.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

timemeddler wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:40 pmturns out i had some cheap satin material on hand, so I made an underskirt just short enough to work with my longer skirts, now I need a chilly day to try it out, definitaly keeps the skirt from clinging to my tights.
That's the other key function of a "slip" -- to keep the fabrics from "picking" against one another and to ensure clean flow of material.
Seb

Post by Seb »

This morning I was standing out waiting for the school bus with my daughter, were having a bit of a cold spel right now and it was -17°c. Usually we only have to wait for a few minutes but today the bus had broken down so we ended up waiting for 30 minutes before I drove her to school instead.

I had a pair of leggings on(and a knee length down coat), they have some kind of thermal layer in them but its not a lot. I think they feel warmer than jeans or sweat pants or something else that is loose fitting. But ive been seeing adds for fleece lined tights up too 480g so I think I want to invest in a pair of those, I'm always cold. :)

Ofc, if I knew we were going to be out for 30 minutes I would probably have put my thick snow pants on.
Not alone with a dream, Just a want to be free, With a need to belong,
I am a skirtsman
Freedom, Freedom, Freedom, Freedom
Modoc
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Modoc »

Sadly, I must admit that cold weather means much less skirting for me. Some of my main pleasures in wearing skirts or dresses are the light and airy feeling and the ease of getting into and out of them. Wearing heavy fabrics and multiple layers takes away from that. I'd just as soon pull on a pair of flannel-lined jeans and be on my way as to have to wrangle into tights or leggings and garters and such. Not that I haven't done it, but for just a quick trip to the store, where I would have worn a skirt, if it's below 32F, out come the pants.
One other note is that I plan to move to a much more temperate climate within a year, with lows seldom below 55F. Then It will be skirts, skirts, skirts.
“And the time came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.”
― Anaïs Nin
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Modoc wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:33 amNot that I haven't done it, but for just a quick trip to the store, where I would have worn a skirt, if it's below 32F, out come the pants.
That's normal enough, and nothing to be overly concerned about. If one is to wear a skirt when it's cold outside, it only makes sense to dress accordingly if you're going to be out in it for an extended period of time, not a fast trip to the grocery store. For the latter, pants just make sense; but, if you're going to be out in it for an extended period then dressing accordingly makes sense.
KiltedBigWave
Distinguished Member

Post by KiltedBigWave »

MB

I like you tend to wear darker tights with my skirts and kilts. As a matter a fact, I am waiting to try the Joyspun Women's Blackout tights from Walmart as suggested by Uncle Al. I love the look of them.
"Look at Scottish guys wearing kilts - you could look at them and laugh, but the way they carry themselves, how can you? You can wear some of the weirdest things and be cool. If you believe in it, that's what makes it cool."
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

KBW: Also try the HUE Women's Blackout Tights with Control Top.
If you look further, you might get these w/out the control top.
They are a thicker material than the Walmart ones, and more expensive,
but they last a long time. (Just keep any kitties away from them.
Mine like to chew the fabric,)

If you search on Amazon for the above title but w/out the words "with control top",
you'll find a very large selection showing up. Most all are a very thick material
and will last a long time :D

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :santa: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ralph »

For myself, it's all about the heavy wool midi/maxi skirts in cold weather.

I also have a few sweater dresses that I'll occasionally wear either alone or over top of something else for an extra layer of warmth:

And for the dual joy of soft cosy fabric plus extra warmth, there's always the thick velvet maxi dress for knocking about the house:

I'll wear tights when I need to on very cold days, but I don't really like to because I never shave my legs and the tights make them beastly itchy.
Ralph!
Bart_Allen55

Post by Bart_Allen55 »

I'm a fan of pairing skirts and kilts with thicker tights and leggings - particularly in darker, more autumnal colors. It gives a cozy feel while adding warmth. Layering up with a thermal tee or a turtleneck sweater can add extra warmth plus an element of style.
With denim or corduroy skirts, I love the look of chunky boots, like Doc Martens, for instance, and wooly socks peeking out. This look pairs really well with my leather backpack that I got as a gift from a friend. Worn over a chunky knit sweater or a sleek wool coat, it lends a sturdy, timeless appeal to my outfit.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Nice cold-weather collection, Ralph. Did you have the velvet dress made? You look like a broad-shouldered guy, not the right shape for ready-made dresses.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair