Sixty years ago

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Sixty years ago

Post by Grok »

For me, sixty years seems a long time ago.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

A Sr. in a morning General Assemble for a talent show at High School in Oregon wondering about the delay in starting, when the principal arrived at the podium and announced the President had been shot; with no further details available. There was an immediate quieting, shock, some tears. We were told to return to our home-rooms for further instruction, and there we were dismissed. It was by far the most 'earth shaking' event most of us had ever experienced and probably politicalized most of us even more so than the raging Vietnam war in that era of social and political activism.
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

I’m not sure where I was. Having been born only in January of that year, I’m too young to remember the event.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Remember being off base - local German town Fischbach b-dahn (south of Pirmasens - south of Kaiserslaughten/Ramstein AFB/Landstuhl)
The German landlord came running around his property alerting all the army personnel of the assassination - - -
Town was in a state of shock for weeks on end - Kennedy was well liked and admired in this part of Germany.

Shortly thereafter received a call for all personnel to return to base (for an orientation {change of command instructions} yada yada yada
prepare for any otherwise action against the USA from person(s) unknown ?

Somber - really morale shattering information -

As noted previously the effect of an assassination of a high level government official and the cause and effect of such action on the world.

Be careful - be VERY careful of what is wished for in regards to eliminating such an unwelcome or welcomed adversary of the people.
The ballot box is the approved method of taking care of this business - ah er maybe if not tampered with ?
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

I was a school boy at home at the time when the lady from down the road came to our house quite upset and told my Mum that President Kennedy was shot. We never had TV.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

r.m.anderson wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:36 pm Be careful - be VERY careful of what is wished for in regards to eliminating such an unwelcome or welcomed adversary of the people.
The ballot box is the approved method of taking care of this business - ah er maybe if not tampered with ?
Important point. And the loser needs to accept the results, not organize a way to overturn the election.
KiltedBigWave
Distinguished Member

Post by KiltedBigWave »

I was 5 at the time and do not remember the event that I later learned so much about.
"Look at Scottish guys wearing kilts - you could look at them and laugh, but the way they carry themselves, how can you? You can wear some of the weirdest things and be cool. If you believe in it, that's what makes it cool."
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

Jim wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 12:53 pm Important point. And the loser needs to accept the results, not organize a way to overturn the election.
Overturn the election illegally. I see this phrase used a lot in the sense of "party A won the election therefore you're not allowed to complain about any policies they enact" which is just wrong. Campaigning against government policy is an important part of the process. Yes, you should accept that the votes fell the way they did, but you are in no way obligated to help the government implement policies you disagree with (unless you're the civil service).
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

rode_kater wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:52 pm
Jim wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 12:53 pm Important point. And the loser needs to accept the results, not organize a way to overturn the election.
Overturn the election illegally. I see this phrase used a lot in the sense of "party A won the election therefore you're not allowed to complain about any policies they enact" which is just wrong. Campaigning against government policy is an important part of the process.
That's the way I've always seen it, and the "loyal opposition" has a very, very important place in the picture. However, in the neo-con controlled world we now live in, it's "Either the party way or die!" -- and that's just plain wrong, any why it's so very important to have the electorate so bitterly divided. "Divide and conquer", goes the old motto -- and that is just as valid now as when it was originally coined. (Also used frequently as, "Keep the plebes at each other's throats and they'll never be able to ask the question of what happened to their country. Meanwhile, we'll laugh all the way to the bank."
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

In my little world in 63, the earth shattering event happened in December, I fell in love with a red velvet dress.
That I remember with nigh on perfect recall, as for breakfast this morning?
Steve