Male Organist wear Popsy frocks

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Male Organist wear Popsy frocks

Post by greenboots »

Yesterday we visited a craft fair that my niece had organised, and then the whole family returned to her house for a Chinese supper. My wife asked my niece where she got her dress with an unusual Nutcracker (as in the fairy tale and ballet) print. That it came from Popsy Clothing. My niece said that she is a member of "Frocks and Friends", a private Facebook group for the "girl tribe" of Popsy wearers [ see the website https://www.popsyclothing.co.uk/pages/frocks-friends ].

My niece told my wife that one of the members of the Frocks and Friends group is an organist, who travels the country tuning organs [who knew?] and giving recitals. He likes to wear Popsy frocks on his travels and when playing the organ.

As an aside: my wife apparently replied, "don't tell your uncle Steven!" That came dangerously close to revealing my (to her) deadly secret. I'd love to have a follow-up conversation with my niece, but don't have confidence that this will happen.

[Editor's note: I'm including this here, as it's "out there", though I've not yet been able to verify this independently. It doesn't fit in with "Sightings in the Wild", as I didn't see it. Nor does it fit in "Personal Stories", or "Fashions" generally. It apparently features in Frocks and Friends, the "girl tribe" of Popsy Clothing on Facebook. So it could be considered "Avocacy". The group is private, and since I am unlikely in the near future to purchase anything, I haven't asked for an invite.]
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Male Organist wear Popsy frocks

Post by STEVIE »

Hi GB,
There's a less than civil servant who may just sign up to this one.
I need to have a closer look but I was looking for something festive and there seems to be possibilities.
I have two nieces myself who are highly supportive while their mother, my sister is decidedly anti.
See you next week.
Steve.
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

Hi Steve.

There are some gorgeous prints there. My favourites are the Autumn Leaves and Music. But both have sold out. I also like some of the jumpsuits and dungarees. Definitely not “masculine”, but who cares.

I will have to follow up my wife’s comments and see where it leads.

Steven
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

greenboots wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 2:48 pm That it came from Popsy Clothing.
Interesting - a lot of these whimsical retailers have been popping up in the last few years:

Modcloth
Joanie
unique vintage
Dangerfield

But (here's where I complain) you don't see these kinds of prints in any of the men's clothing lines except for a select few (pyknic, wildfang). I'm not saying I'd be satisfied with being able to say, get a fun print in a shirt - but it would be a start.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Coder wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 5:15 pm I'm not saying I'd be satisfied with being able to say, get a fun print in a shirt - but it would be a start.
Need to have more thought on Popsy, Joanie, I got a nice cardigan from.
All that proves Coder, is that there's a lot more fun to be had across the aisle.
No wonder men migrate!
Steve.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

This information was inspired by the title of this thread.

Gerald Shaw (1911-1974) is way before the time of Popsy Clothing. None the less, he wore a Kilt when performing :D

Gerald Shaw at the Odeon Leicester Square #1
Gerald Shaw at the Odeon Leicester Square #2
Gerald Shaw was born in Scotland in 1911. While still a teenager Gerald had three organ lessons with the famous Dr. George Tootell at Marble Arch Pavilion and eventually became organist on a small Compton (2/6) in the Regal in St. Leonards in 1932. He played for the formal opening of the theatre and also gave a daily hour-long recital. He then moved to the Regal, Glasgow, with its larger Compton (3/12), where he gave his first broadcast. Later he moved south again for a short spell at the Astoria, Brixton, Compton (3/13). Shaw then moved back to Scotland to the Glasgow Paramount, later called the Odeon, Compton (4c/10) until he joined the army in 1940.
After the war, Gerald Shaw re-joined Odeon at the Manchester Paramount / Odeon WurliTzer (4/20) for a short period and finished this travelling existence with a residency at what became his base cinema for a time, the Odeon, Swiss Cottage. The instrument there was a Compton (3/8).
During this period the Rank Organisation, which owned these theatres, was expanding its empire overseas. Shaw was sent to open and play at the Rivoli, Cairo on a four manual, ten rank Compton, the only theatre organ in the Middle East, from which he broadcast weekly on Egyptian radio. He had many drop-in guests and it became a sort of "In Town Tonght" show. From Cairo he was sent to the Sao Jorge cinema in Lisbon, Portugal, where he played a three manual electronic instrument which was also made by Compton and called the Theatrone. When he returned to Britain he played at the Metropole in London's Victoria and at the prestigious Paramount / Odeon, Tottenham Court Road, London (Compton 4c/10).
In March 1953 he moved to the largest Cinema Organ (4/37 Christie) in Europe at the Odeon (formerly Regal) Marble Arch, to become its last resident organist. He soon got the instrument back on the radio after twelve years absence. He left in November 1958 to go to Odeon's premier cinema. The Odeon, Leicester Square (Compton 5c/16).
While at the Odeon, Leicester Square, which was England's number one theatre organ job, he could be heard playing for intermissions six days a week for sixteen years. He also played at all the premiers and the Royal Command Performances there. Members of the royal family often used to drop in incognito during the matinees and Gerald always played Queen Mary's favourite song for her. He had a regular series of broadcasts for several years on the BBC on Wednesday afternoons. When Gerald died in April 1974 he was England's last remaining full-time theatre organist, with over one thousand broadcasts to his credit.
( The numbers in parenthesis are references to the size of the organ. A 2/6 is a 2 manual, 6 ranks(voices) of pipes, instrument. )

Gerald Shaw - Discography

Gerald Shaw at Leicester Square

Gerald Shaw BBC Organ Broadcast from 1964

( I was unable to find the reason why he committed suicide. :( )

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

Just browsing their site makes me happy. What a beautiful selection of clothing.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

They are absolutely gorgeous and something I would definitely buy for my wife. But they are WAY too feminine for me.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

Stu wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:08 am They are absolutely gorgeous and something I would definitely buy for my wife. But they are WAY too feminine for me.
Same here.
Bertino56
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bertino56 »

Sir Grayson Perry, who prefers to call his dresses "frocks."
recently accepted his knighthood from HRH Prince William.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/0 ... e-william/
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

Stu wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:08 am They are absolutely gorgeous and something I would definitely buy for my wife. But they are WAY too feminine for me.
So I'm curious: which parts scream femininity at you? The colours? The fabrics? The shapes? I think the colours are great, but many of the dresses are very high waisted which I think creates a "classic female look". But some of the pinafores for example don't have a defined waist and I think would work well.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

rode_kater wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:40 am
So I'm curious: which parts scream femininity at you? The colours? The fabrics? The shapes? I think the colours are great, but many of the dresses are very high waisted which I think creates a "classic female look". But some of the pinafores for example don't have a defined waist and I think would work well.
I think they shapes of these are naturally flattering for the female form and the patterns are "busy", which are stereotypically feminine. Maybe a pinafore dresses would work for adult males as they do for younger boys - I don't know. I would be interested to see some examples.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

rode_kater wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:40 am So I'm curious: which parts scream femininity at you? The colours? The fabrics? The shapes? I think the colours are great, but many of the dresses are very high waisted which I think creates a "classic female look". But some of the pinafores for example don't have a defined waist and I think would work well.
I had another look. There are one or two in there that I might consider.

If I am going to wear a dress and not be taken as cross-dressing, then I think I would have to avoid anything in bright colours or florals: I look for plain dark colours, or possibly designs that could be interpreted as "masculine", such as very small grid repeats or geometrics. In terms of fabric, I would avoid anything very light or clingy, designed to emphasize or flatter the curves. In terms of shape, I think you're right about the waist height (and the pinafores): there are some styles I might take to if they didn't have a tie-waist which forces the high waistline. I would also avoid anything with a crossover top, as I think it is designed to fit around a bust. The length of many of these dresses, just below the knee, is a length I find really hard to style in skirts: it falls awkwardly between a kilt length and comfortable mid-calf, and can produce what strikes me as a classically female profile (like the "ladies toilet" symbol).

What I would really like in a dress is a severely masculine cut for the upper half, like a shirt dress with long sleeves and squared shoulders or epaulettes, and a low or undefined waist, with an A-line skirt to midi length. But since the dress is viewed by current fashion not just as a women's garment, but one specifically adopted to emphasize femininity, I fear tthat such specs are unlikely to be found unless I get something custom-made.