Why don't men wear skirts?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Why don't men wear skirts?

Post by new2skirts »

STEVIE wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 3:39 am
jamie001 wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 2:35 pm It will never happen for men because they are taught by their fathers when they are several years old about homophobia and that anything girly like a skirt is inferior and to be avoided like the plague. They are told that the worst thing that you can be called is a 'girl". Until there is true equality and not just lip service between men and women, skirts for men will never take hold.
Actually Jamie, I was never taught anything at all by my Father, except for how to tie my own shoelaces.
I actually cannot ever recall being actually "prohibited" from wearing a skirt.
Finally, I was never given to understand that skirts or women in general were inferior in any way.
Their clothes were forbidden fruit to boys and it really was that simple.
That "taboo" piqued my innate curiosity and it just growed and growed like Topsy.
However, I'd go along with your sentiment on equality, we may just approach that from different angles.
Barleymower wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 6:56 amBe cool
In my book "cool" is not about shouting at all.
It is being the same as Norman Normal going about all the mundane, regular and boring activities that we do in our lives.
The only difference is that I choose to do it in a skirt or a dress and whatever else I choose.
As for "admiration", that is down to someone else and not my concern.
new2skirts wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 6:31 pm I think Mark Bryan, Coder, SkirtsDad, Skirtyscot, JeffB have posted some ideal looks for guys who are unsure what to team their skirt with
Must admit that with the possible exception of Mark Bryan, I'd concur.
He may have a googleplex of followers on his instagram page but is there any real evidence that he has furthered the MIS cause any more than the cafe members mentioned? Simple fact is that who would be willing or able to fund emulating his footwear alone, I wouldn't for sure.
Steve.
Mark Bryan has become an influencer, having gotten attention of most mainstream news articles, approaching 500k Instagram followers (to be honest, the youngsters who could embrace his fashion sense or admire it are on such platforms) he always says clothing should not be gendered. It may seem the typical Insta cliche of designer clothes, nice car, glamourous locations but it's what they tap into. Being able to connect with the likes of Rihanna, who's partner himself embraces fashion freedom, one never knows who else may take up the skirt :wink:
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

new2skirts wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:31 pm Being able to connect with the likes of Rihanna, who's partner himself embraces fashion freedom, one never knows who else may take up the skirt
You kind of confirm my point NTS, we don't know!
Mark with his "celebrity" status or our fellow cafe members?
I had a quick trawl of photos of Rocky and found an awful lot, but only 2 in a skirt or dress.
Varied yes, eclectic definitely but embracing the concept of men in skirts, moot.
We will certainly differ on this but I still feel that the celebrity affect on men in skirts is vastly exaggerated.
Surely the proof has to be that there is only negligible uptake at grass roots level.
Sorry NTS, society may be changing but it is because of Joe Bloggs and not the hyped up a/b/c listers.
Steve.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

STEVIE wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 3:39 am
new2skirts wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 6:31 pm I think Mark Bryan, Coder, SkirtsDad, Skirtyscot, JeffB have posted some ideal looks for guys who are unsure what to team their skirt with
Must admit that with the possible exception of Mark Bryan, I'd concur.
He may have a googleplex of followers on his instagram page but is there any real evidence that he has furthered the MIS cause any more than the cafe members mentioned? Simple fact is that who would be willing or able to fund emulating his footwear alone, I wouldn't for sure.
Thanks - and the same goes for you too Stevie, and others.

I think all of us nudge the lever a bit. I'm not trying to be "oooh, everyone gets a pony" - rather I think we reach different groups of people.

1) Influencers and reach influencer culture - people who follow them, want to be trendy, etc... and they could influence retailers - more so than celebrities.

2) Celebrities - above "common man" - they set the tone for acceptable outrageousness. No one is wearing what they wear (when it is "out there"), especially if it's a man

3) Regular folk - erm, we can only influence those directly around us - but I have no illusions that anyone will follow in my footsteps. In fact, I can almost guarantee it.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

STEVIE wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 12:36 am Regular folk - erm, we can only influence those directly around us - but I have no illusions that anyone will follow in my footsteps.
Hi Coder,
The real thrust is that you/we/they will never know!
Sure, the celebs and influencers are in the spotlight but that applies equally to them.
Then there is fashion itself, fads come and go like the tide.
There is no doubt that skirts for men come into that category as a very distinct niche for a certain demographic.
That's where the celeb/influencer syndrome really has some bearing.
The difference is that a lot of us are not caring for the "in-crowd", we are here for the long haul.
I started this when it was a taboo of the highest order and I shall still be doing it when Pitt et al have donated their skirts to goodwill and moved on to whatever comes next, who knows?
BTW thanks for including me in the "list" too.
Steve.
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

STEVIE wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 12:36 am
new2skirts wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:31 pm Being able to connect with the likes of Rihanna, who's partner himself embraces fashion freedom, one never knows who else may take up the skirt
You kind of confirm my point NTS, we don't know!
Mark with his "celebrity" status or our fellow cafe members?
I had a quick trawl of photos of Rocky and found an awful lot, but only 2 in a skirt or dress.
Varied yes, eclectic definitely but embracing the concept of men in skirts, moot.
We will certainly differ on this but I still feel that the celebrity affect on men in skirts is vastly exaggerated.
Surely the proof has to be that there is only negligible uptake at grass roots level.
Sorry NTS, society may be changing but it is because of Joe Bloggs and not the hyped up a/b/c listers.
Steve.
I guess as skirts for men don't cause as much of a stir in years gone by, less celebrities may bother with the look. If you google A$AP Rocky Kilt, you will find his outfits, as the likes of the Daily Mail are still squeamish in calling the mens garment a skirt :roll:

Joe Bloggs is currently daring to wear shorts to the office, it could evolve from there. Footballers are openly wearing thick tights in winter, but the more I venture out, the less stares I observe from my outfits compared to the usual drab...

TBH Joe Bloggs is not going to watch fashion shows, but may be curious over news articles such as Mark Bryan (although he's now into expensive heels and photoshoots with Lamborghinis) :wink: I imagine the default sitting position for guys with (manspread) may not be conducive to certain skirts, so education would be needed for most in how to sit well 8)
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
timemeddler
Distinguished Member

Post by timemeddler »

jamie001 wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 2:35 pm
STEVIE wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 6:13 am
Barleymower wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:44 pm I was thinking about it today and maybe our social conditioning is much stronger than we appreciate.
How strong has it got to be when a five year old "instinctively" knows not to tell a living soul that he wants to wear the same as the girls at school.
Strikes me that it's in our jeans. (Yeah, I know, genes)
We all know that cannot be true but .................
Slight digression, but men also have to learn that there is no single skirt rig that is absolutely right for a guy.
There is no such creation for women so why the hell should there be one for us.
Fashion freedom for women came about because they made it happen.
They did not dally for the "perfect" pair of trousers etc.
Men's will never happen until enough of us do the same and quit prevaricating.
Steve.
It will never happen for men because they are taught by their fathers when they are several years old about homophobia and that anything girly like a skirt is inferior and to be avoided like the plague. They are told that the worst thing that you can be called is a 'girl". Until there is true equality and not just lip service between men and women, skirts for men will never take hold.
That's odd, because I've hung out with real Homophobes and his more homophobic dad while wearing skirts, and neither has batted an eye, one of them even takes my side on the matter.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

timemeddler wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:09 am
.... I've hung out with real Homophobes and his more homophobic dad while wearing skirts, and neither has batted an eye, one of them even takes my side on the matter.
It's a good point TM and goes to show that there is hope for change, for MIS everywhere. There are some barriers to be overcome but men want this to happen even if they would never admit it.