Dresses?

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Dresses?

Post by Coder »

Uncle Al wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 5:12 pm
Coder wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 5:09 amI ordered - and am returning - this one:

https://fahertybrand.com/products/linen ... 0871130181

I thought it fit extremely well (a M fit me), but it was wayyyy too expensive for me to keep it.
Perhaps it will go on sale one day - but even then I have not had the courage to breach that
barrier, and I think it might be too much of a stretch to waste any money on it.
Very nice, and simple, design.
I have one similar to it from, I think, Walmart.com or Woman Within.
However, the price is way out of line with today's economy. I paid around
$20-25.00 for my blue denim dress and wear it quite often :D

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Yeah - that place is selling a look/lifestyle more than a piece of clothing. I did get a skirt and top on sale, with an added coupon from them, which brought them down to reasonable levels. To get free shipping I added the dress knowing I’d return it.
Spirou003
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Spirou003 »

Hello,

I've been thinking since some time that a dress could be more confortable than a skirt + tshirt (because skirt implies some tightening at waist, whereas dress doesn't). I did see a skirt online that I liked and it was indicated as to be "available in store". Friday I went to that store to try this skirt and see whether I would buy it or not. I did not find it (nor any other skirt in the style I was looking for), and while leaving the shop I did see a dress that I find very nice (the dress: https://www.c-and-a.com/eu/en/shop/knit ... -2207693/3).
With winter coming on (but not soon it seems, still ~22°C the next few days in october O_o) I thought it could be a good candidate to be comfy for chill evenings, since it is long and in warm material. It is rib knit and has a "neutral" upper-part, so I did take two in fitting room. The S was too small and the M was OK, thus I did leave them and bought a third in L (without trying before :mrgreen:) and it is better. I'm happy to have bought it, it is very cool to wear, I really like it. Main defaults are:
  • The sewing they made for the horizontal line is not so extensible as is the rest of the dress, it feels like if a cord is tightened around the body. I will - when I'll be motivated enough - learn how to sew such material and replace the actual sewing by a more extensible one. Not sure I would trust someone else (even paid) to do it like I want it to be done.
  • The horizontal line is too high, I would have preferred it to be at the waist line. I find that an horizontal line is more feminine when it is higher and more masculine when it is lower.
But the 2 is not so important to me, since I only intent to wear it at home for relax and cold times. I feel too feminine in a dress to be confortable wearing it outside of my strong safety places - understand at home when I'm alone or with supportive people that I've "nothing to prove" with. Anyway, it is delicate material and has no pocket so it's a no go for going out :lol:

Voila, I just wanted to share it with you. I wish you a nice day/evening/night (erase useless words)
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

It's a really nice dress S. I would definitely wear it. Unfortunately there's no C&A here in England.
Modoc
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Modoc »

It is a nice looking dress S and one that probably a lot of men might wear well. It took me a while to admit but I think I actually like wearing dresses more than skirts for the comfort factor if nothing else. I also have to admit that wearing one out does tend to make me a bit more self conscious than wearing a skirt. But I do and so far have had no problems that would deter me from continuing to do so.
“And the time came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.”
― Anaïs Nin
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

I recently bought a travel trailer that had been previously used as an art studio at our local nudist resort.
DSCN3933s.jpg
The artist left behind what I am calling a "smock" as my wife doesn't care for me to wear "dresses". But it does look sort of like a dress. As I was working on rebuilding the porch my work skirt tore, so I put on the smock. I like the look and comfort but it has no pockets. I'm thinking of splitting the side seams and adding two. Meanwhile, I'll use a nail apron.
DSCN3955cs.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Modoc
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Modoc »

Jim wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 2:39 am

The artist left behind what I am calling a "smock" as my wife doesn't care for me to wear "dresses". But it does look sort of like a dress.
Just a little but no one would really notice :D
“And the time came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.”
― Anaïs Nin
Damon

Post by Damon »

Tazzmac wrote:
>
>
> I have never owned a pair of pyjamas in my life . I've always worn
> nightshirts (correct term ) or as Mum called them 'nighty's' ..She'd say
> "Your nighty is ready for putting away " after it was laundered..
>
I was a kid during and just after the war, a time of rationing and shortages. I had older girl cousins and, while not a lot of hand me downs came my way apart from socks, the occasional not too girly blouse and some underwear, nightgowns did. My grandmother always called them nighties. They were sometimes so long I had to hold them up or trip over them. Having been read the poem "Wee willie Winkie ran through the town in his nightgown" one time I slipped out and ran a short way up the road in my nightgown, tripped and went flat on my face. I had a friend who also wore nighties, I suppose because he had older sisters. My mother, aunt and grandmother with whom I lived went to the cinema every week. If the film was suitable they took me. If it wasn't I spent the evening at my friend's house until they collected me. This was often after our bedtime, so I went with my nightgown and toothbrush and we both got ready for bed together and changed into our nighties. Then we were read a story. He went to bed and I stayed in the livingroom in my nightie, usually on the couch covered by a blanket until my mother came for me. Then it was a short walk home, usually with a coat over my nightgown. I think I got pajamas when I was about seven. Then, when I was an adult and spent the evening with my future wife we decided to make a night of it. I didn't want to sleep in my clothes because I would have to go to work in them in the morning, so she lent me a nightgown. Old friend revisited. Soon after we were man and wife and I have worn nightgowns or nightshirts
ever since.