Dresses?

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Dresses?

Post by Coder »

Uncle Al wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 5:12 pm
Coder wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 5:09 amI ordered - and am returning - this one:

https://fahertybrand.com/products/linen ... 0871130181

I thought it fit extremely well (a M fit me), but it was wayyyy too expensive for me to keep it.
Perhaps it will go on sale one day - but even then I have not had the courage to breach that
barrier, and I think it might be too much of a stretch to waste any money on it.
Very nice, and simple, design.
I have one similar to it from, I think, Walmart.com or Woman Within.
However, the price is way out of line with today's economy. I paid around
$20-25.00 for my blue denim dress and wear it quite often :D

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Yeah - that place is selling a look/lifestyle more than a piece of clothing. I did get a skirt and top on sale, with an added coupon from them, which brought them down to reasonable levels. To get free shipping I added the dress knowing I’d return it.
Spirou003
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Spirou003 »

Hello,

I've been thinking since some time that a dress could be more confortable than a skirt + tshirt (because skirt implies some tightening at waist, whereas dress doesn't). I did see a skirt online that I liked and it was indicated as to be "available in store". Friday I went to that store to try this skirt and see whether I would buy it or not. I did not find it (nor any other skirt in the style I was looking for), and while leaving the shop I did see a dress that I find very nice (the dress: https://www.c-and-a.com/eu/en/shop/knit ... -2207693/3).
With winter coming on (but not soon it seems, still ~22°C the next few days in october O_o) I thought it could be a good candidate to be comfy for chill evenings, since it is long and in warm material. It is rib knit and has a "neutral" upper-part, so I did take two in fitting room. The S was too small and the M was OK, thus I did leave them and bought a third in L (without trying before :mrgreen:) and it is better. I'm happy to have bought it, it is very cool to wear, I really like it. Main defaults are:
  • The sewing they made for the horizontal line is not so extensible as is the rest of the dress, it feels like if a cord is tightened around the body. I will - when I'll be motivated enough - learn how to sew such material and replace the actual sewing by a more extensible one. Not sure I would trust someone else (even paid) to do it like I want it to be done.
  • The horizontal line is too high, I would have preferred it to be at the waist line. I find that an horizontal line is more feminine when it is higher and more masculine when it is lower.
But the 2 is not so important to me, since I only intent to wear it at home for relax and cold times. I feel too feminine in a dress to be confortable wearing it outside of my strong safety places - understand at home when I'm alone or with supportive people that I've "nothing to prove" with. Anyway, it is delicate material and has no pocket so it's a no go for going out :lol:

Voila, I just wanted to share it with you. I wish you a nice day/evening/night (erase useless words)
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

It's a really nice dress S. I would definitely wear it. Unfortunately there's no C&A here in England.
Modoc
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Modoc »

It is a nice looking dress S and one that probably a lot of men might wear well. It took me a while to admit but I think I actually like wearing dresses more than skirts for the comfort factor if nothing else. I also have to admit that wearing one out does tend to make me a bit more self conscious than wearing a skirt. But I do and so far have had no problems that would deter me from continuing to do so.
“And the time came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.”
― Anaïs Nin
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

I recently bought a travel trailer that had been previously used as an art studio at our local nudist resort.
DSCN3933s.jpg
The artist left behind what I am calling a "smock" as my wife doesn't care for me to wear "dresses". But it does look sort of like a dress. As I was working on rebuilding the porch my work skirt tore, so I put on the smock. I like the look and comfort but it has no pockets. I'm thinking of splitting the side seams and adding two. Meanwhile, I'll use a nail apron.
DSCN3955cs.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Modoc
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Modoc »

Jim wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 2:39 am

The artist left behind what I am calling a "smock" as my wife doesn't care for me to wear "dresses". But it does look sort of like a dress.
Just a little but no one would really notice :D
“And the time came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.”
― Anaïs Nin