Female dresses up as male - not one comment about her identity

News from High Street, for the Fashionistas among us! Couture only here please; if you can buy it off the rack, try another forum.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Female dresses up as male - not one comment about her identity

Post by Coder »

Saw this come across my Instagram feed, and I was shocked - shocked!

https://www.vogue.com/article/heidi-klu ... sformation

You need only reference the internet to see where this all has gone wrong:

https://petkeen.com/male-vs-female-peacocks/

I'm being silly of course. But I dare say, it must be nice to wear whatever the heck you want, and not have anyone start psychoanalyzing you.
Modoc
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Female dresses up as male - not one comment about her identity

Post by Modoc »

Coder wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 11:47 pm

I'm being silly of course. But I dare say, it must be nice to wear whatever the heck you want, and not have anyone start psychoanalyzing you.
I would bet that there are those who would subject Heidi Klum and other celebs to plenty of psychoanalysis for their deeds and actions. The trick is to get to the point where you just don't give a damn.
“And the time came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.”
― Anaïs Nin
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Female dresses as male? Not news -- even on a slow news day. BORING.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Modoc wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:59 pm I would bet that there are those who would subject Heidi Klum and other celebs to plenty of psychoanalysis for their deeds and actions. The trick is to get to the point where you just don't give a damn.
Yes - I'm trying to get to that point myself, close to it to some degree, but millions and millions of dollars would help speed up the process, I think :lol:.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Do lady peacocks actually exist?
Since there are baby ones, I suppose they must or are they parthenogenetic and done away with all the messy mating thing?
If I was into dressing like a bird, I'd have a problem because I cannot recall ever having seen one, are they ugly and only of interest to real Peacocks to deal with the daily drudge while he performs vital functions such as tail spreading and being very noisy at the same time.
End of silly, but we never really hear much chat about peahens so, it is actually logical for anyone to wish emulate the Peacock.
Should there be a lesson for humanity here somewhere?
Steve.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

STEVIE wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 5:19 am Do lady peacocks actually exist?
They are called pea-hens and they have very drab plumage.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

pelmut wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 7:55 am
STEVIE wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 5:19 am Do lady peacocks actually exist?
They are called pea-hens and they have very drab plumage.
We had some living in the garden for a while. Funny birds, the cats won't go near them. The most amusing thing was that they sleep in trees at night, like chickens. So at night you could look up as see a silhouette of a pea-cock in the branches of a tree.

Side note: unlike mammals where sexual attributes are controlled by hormones, in birds each cell knows its sex and acts accordingly. Ergo trans-birds can't happen and HRT is also not possible. There are very rare examples of chimeras, where a male & female embryo merged and you get a half/half bird, but I imagine that most such combinations are non-viable (in humans chimeras are probably more common, it's not something we can easily test for).
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

rode_kater wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 8:46 am [...]
Side note: unlike mammals where sexual attributes are controlled by hormones, in birds each cell knows its sex and acts accordingly. Ergo trans-birds can't happen and HRT is also not possible. There are very rare examples of chimeras, where a male & female embryo merged and you get a half/half bird, but I imagine that most such combinations are non-viable (in humans chimeras are probably more common, it's not something we can easily test for).
It is not all that uncommon for a domestic hen to "change its sex", it develops male characteristics and behaviour, but is not fertile.  A friend in Milton Keynes had it happen to one of her hens -- which caused a bit of trouble because it was against one of the bye-laws to keep cockerels in that area.  It roosted in her hedge, which borders a public footpath, then stuck out its neck from the foliage and crowed loudly into the face of an unsuspecting passer-by.  I don't know the final outcome, but I do know the police were involved.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Modoc
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Modoc »

Coder wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 1:44 am
Modoc wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:59 pm I would bet that there are those who would subject Heidi Klum and other celebs to plenty of psychoanalysis for their deeds and actions. The trick is to get to the point where you just don't give a damn.
Yes - I'm trying to get to that point myself, close to it to some degree, but millions and millions of dollars would
help speed up the process, I think :lol:.
Yes, it is for a fact, much easier said than done. And in fact you hear all the time that those who seem to have reached, I don't care nirvana, actually are put off by some of the feed back they get.
“And the time came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.”
― Anaïs Nin
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

pelmut wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:49 pm It is not all that uncommon for a domestic hen to "change its sex", it develops male characteristics and behaviour, but is not fertile.  A friend in Milton Keynes had it happen to one of her hens -- which caused a bit of trouble because it was against one of the bye-laws to keep cockerels in that area. 
That's amazing. The estimated rates are as many as 1 in a 100. Nature is bizarre.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

STEVIE wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 5:19 am End of silly, but we never really hear much chat about peahens so, it is actually logical for anyone to wish emulate the Peacock.
pelmut wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 7:55 am They are called pea-hens and they have very drab plumage.
Not worth dressing-up as then, are they Pelmut?

Steve
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

I stumbled upon a different Instagram post (didn't bookmark it) on this costume, and I was mildly impressed some people noted the male/female bird plumage thing. I did not expect as much. But that's about as far as it went. I suspect if the husband had dressed up as, say, a pink flamingo, all sorts of epithets and snarky comments would have been spoken. But, I am being a pessimist here, and shouldn't be.