easier to find skirt that fit than pants?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
timemeddler
Distinguished Member

easier to find skirt that fit than pants?

Post by timemeddler »

I have had zero trouble finding skirts in my size, pants on the other hand, lucky if find one variety at walmart fits my size 30x36. Whereas one trip to goodwill I can find all I want in my size for skirts. I know part of it is the length of a skirt isn't critical cosmetically like it is for pants. Anyone else have this advantage skirt shopping? :D
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Re: easier to find skirt that fit than pants?

Post by denimini »

Yes as long as a skirt fits the waist and is no less than 10" long it will be OK. There still are other factors like hem width so it doesn't limited one's stride and sometimes a skirt just doesn't look right because of a stiff material with too bigger hem width or pleats that look untidy.
Apart from the aesthetics, it is far easier to find a skirt that is comfortable than pants or shorts but I guess that is stating the obvious.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

True it would seem that women are more concerned about their waist therefore the larger sizes are in flux and easier to find.

With either the critical element is the waist - high low navel hip etc.
With pants it is the inseam - short thigh (bike) bermuda beach comers/pedal pushers ankle and heel floor dusters
With skirts it is the hem length - mini - and various lengths to the ankle

And with kilts the waist and the overall length is pretty much dictated by the occasion formal or casual
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Skirts are a breeze to fits, but sometimes a hazard in the breeze! I have plenty of Good Will for Goodwill -- though I could use some more closet space for their wares, now in mine. For me, as long as the waist fits and the style is generous in allowing leg movement, it meets the key criteria for fit. Aesthetics take a bit more time -- mostly trying to find the right shirt to go with!
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Yes, it's hard to find men's pants that fit off the shelf. I don't like stepping on the end of the legs. I have a 30" or 31" waist and a 27" or 28" inseam and they don't make them that way. I can do a crude job shortening the legs or roll them up.
papato15

Post by papato15 »

Have you tried looking in the boys section for pants? Being a shorty myself I've had luck there. I've also found nice skirts in the girls section of Walmart (not always suitable for public wearing). Sometimes I get lucky and find something I like there.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

papato15 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 1:47 pm Have you tried looking in the boys section for pants? Being a shorty myself I've had luck there. I've also found nice skirts in the girls section of Walmart (not always suitable for public wearing). Sometimes I get lucky and find something I like there.
Thanks for the good suggestions. As I wear pants so infrequently these days, I probably have enough in stock for the rest of my life. Maybe I don't need any more skirts, either, but getting them is fun sometimes.