[Twirls in] Hello, from Vancouver Island

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
jordan

[Twirls in] Hello, from Vancouver Island

Post by jordan »

Hey everyone, I'm Jordan from Nanaimo, on the Canadian west coast. I love that this forum exists. I bought my first skirt 5 years ago. It took me at least a few months to wear it outside the house, and that was to a fairly open-minded dance, at first.

I'm now 39 and have at least 20 skirts. I've pretty much forgotten about pants, though I have plenty of tights (which I find pair well with skirts), and the odd pairs of shorts.

I love experimenting with fashion and was surprised how easy it became to go out in skirts, and other attire that most might say lean "feminine". Though I still find myself going out in neutral/masculine clothing, depending on my mood, where I'm going, etc. I want to find ways to shift this culture we live in, to be more accepting.

Anyways, glad to be here, and looking forward to chatting.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Re: [Twirls in] Hello, from Vancouver Island

Post by Barleymower »

Hi Jordan, you are most welcome. I embarked about 18months ago and also have around twenty skirts and roughly the same amount in the bin.
I don't get out in a skirt as much as I would like but I am out there and not just a quick dash to the bin 😀
Modoc
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Modoc »

Hi Jordan, I am glad you decided to join us. I haven't been too long on the sight myself. When I have time browsing some of the older posts proves quite interesting.
“And the time came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.”
― Anaïs Nin
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Welcome aboard. I suspect you will find your welcome extends pretty much around the island and more. We used to live on Bowen Island when I still worked in Vancouver, and though skirts were still very rare for me then, I did skirt at times, more later in the Okanagan, and Kootenays, where my sister still lives, without any issues and it is hard to own up to how many decades ago that was...so, life should be good for you. I very much share the notion of 'shifting the culture' thought I think the culture is pretty much there, it is the men who don't have the balls to wear a skirt, but your example is one more aid. Keep watching & posting...glad the forum is here for all of us.

Pura Vida from Costa Rica
jordan

Post by jordan »

Thanks for the welcome! I'm looking forward to browsing the forum more.
Faldaguy wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 4:50 am I suspect you will find your welcome extends pretty much around the island and more. We used to live on Bowen Island when I still worked in Vancouver, and though skirts were still very rare for me then, I did skirt at times, more later in the Okanagan, and Kootenays, where my sister still lives, without any issues and it is hard to own up to how many decades ago that was...so, life should be good for you.
That's good to hear you didn't have any issues then. I'm from the Kootenays originally, and though I didn't wear skirts until after I moved away, I do when I visit family and have had no issues. Haven't done it enough to really suss the vibe, but places like Nelson and Slocan seem very accepting. The only aggressive confrontation I had was on the island, but overall it's been really good.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

jordan wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 3:19 pm Thanks for the welcome! I'm looking forward to browsing the forum more.
Faldaguy wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 4:50 am I suspect you will find your welcome extends pretty much around the island and more. We used to live on Bowen Island when I still worked in Vancouver, and though skirts were still very rare for me then, I did skirt at times, more later in the Okanagan, and Kootenays, where my sister still lives, without any issues and it is hard to own up to how many decades ago that was...so, life should be good for you.
That's good to hear you didn't have any issues then. I'm from the Kootenays originally, and though I didn't wear skirts until after I moved away, I do when I visit family and have had no issues. Haven't done it enough to really suss the vibe, but places like Nelson and Slocan seem very accepting. The only aggressive confrontation I had was on the island, but overall it's been really good.
Old memories! We were visiting a friend in Nelson when I got my first "skirt" back in my 20's -- a story I've reported on this site before. It was from my wife, daughter, and I think the young woman we were visiting may have had a hand in it too -- it was 'only' a beach wrap (I've still got it) given to me as a swim suit cover up -- but wow, the feeling and freedom it granted giving forth the sensations and ideas for skirts in general was my first real transition to wearing skirts. While there, take a nostalgia trip for me -- head up the lake a ways to Ainsworth Hotsprings -- the 'tunnel' there was a favorite too! Happy skirting!
Skirt18220

Post by Skirt18220 »

I'm a little late to the party but welcome aboard Jordan.
I live way over in Ontario, Ottawa River country. I wear a skirt or kilt all the time. Given up on Pants also. Well except snow pants lol.
jordan

Post by jordan »

it was 'only' a beach wrap (I've still got it) given to me as a swim suit cover up -- but wow, the feeling and freedom it granted giving forth the sensations and ideas for skirts in general was my first real transition to wearing skirts. While there, take a nostalgia trip for me -- head up the lake a ways to Ainsworth Hotsprings -- the 'tunnel' there was a favorite too!
Yes, the beach wrap! my first 'skirt' was sort of a 'mesh sarong meets tube', which I got at a festival's 'take a garment leave a garment' camp. and the very first thing that sparked the idea that i like wearing skirts, was wearing a beach towel around the pool as a kid, decades prior.
I live way over in Ontario, Ottawa River country. I wear a skirt or kilt all the time. Given up on Pants also. Well except snow pants lol.
Thanks for the welcome! I have to say snow pants (and sweatpants) are pretty much all the pants I wear these days too :)
TheSkirtedMan
Member Extraordinaire

Post by TheSkirtedMan »

Hi

Welcome from an adhoc member. Very pleased to note another male skirt wearer with an aim to change society culture in this aspect. I primarily invade the society still labelled female wardrobe as a man for my own freedom of choice, expression and individuality but secondly in the hope of encouraging other like minded men.

Good luck.
Be yourself because an original is worth more than a copy.