mermaid skirts

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
timemeddler
Distinguished Member

mermaid skirts

Post by timemeddler »

Or maybe I should say Merman in our case, I found one at goodwill while looking for something longer now that the weather is cooling down for fall. This one I found is a very slight mermaid tail end, not one of those uber-tight-hard-to-walk-in variety with exaggerated bottom. this one falls straight down with just enough spread at the bottom to create a little swish. When I tried it on in front of the mirror, I was surprised how neutral it looked on me, arguably less that some of my A frames, I think it's the optical effect of how it drops straight downwards off the hips and doesn't spread till the end and since I have no hips to speak of it doesn't give the stereotypical feminine look associated with this style. Anyone else tried mermaid skirts?
timemeddler
Distinguished Member

Re: mermaid skirts

Post by timemeddler »

i didn't realize I could do pictures but here's the skirt in question.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

Nice. I didn't know they were called mermaid skirts.

What's the waist like? Is it elastic? Because I think you would get that straight-down effect if the top part of the skirt is a rectangle, and it's gathered at the waist with elastic.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Sorry but I disagree about this "Mermaid Skirt" as it is too short.
It is more of a 'fit-n-flair' skirt from the knees down.

This is an example of a proper "Mermaid Skirt" from TEMU - -
(I don't shop there - heard too many bad things about it and I won't take any chances.)

Front -

Back -

This is a "Mermaid Costume Skirt" from Amazon - -

In any case, I couldn't wear it as I don't have the figure for one :)
(Maybe a 'Puffer Fish" :?: )
:hide:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
timemeddler
Distinguished Member

Post by timemeddler »

Uncle Al wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 2:28 pm Sorry but I disagree about this "Mermaid Skirt" as it is too short.
It is more of a 'fit-n-flair' skirt from the knees down.

This is an example of a proper "Mermaid Skirt" from TEMU - -
(I don't shop there - heard too many bad things about it and I won't take any chances.)
They do come in different lengths, though I suspect this one may be a different category but can't find anything better to class it as. Here's a similar one.
https://www.wolfandbadger.com/us/kierce ... in-oyster/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
timemeddler
Distinguished Member

Post by timemeddler »

rode_kater wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:59 am Nice. I didn't know they were called mermaid skirts.

What's the waist like? Is it elastic? Because I think you would get that straight-down effect if the top part of the skirt is a rectangle, and it's gathered at the waist with elastic.
no elastic, just a standard non stretch waistband and a zipper in back.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

There does not seem to be any consistency in describing clothing styles. There are mermaid mini skirts of which some have the definitive flare at the hem and some are bodycon with no flare but a fish scale pattern. There are also "mermaid" pants which is contradictory as the mythical mermaid does not have legs.
Regardless of the naming; mermaid, trumpet, fit and flare, etc. I do like the look of a flared hem and the comfort of the extra room for movement.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

They are also sometimes called fishtail skirts. To get the full effect of the design they need to hug the bottom & thighs with a length beyond the knees.
A long time ago I experimented with one.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
GothScot

Post by GothScot »

All three of mine are ankle-length or longer. This one from Style J is a favorite.