Manchester Evening News: Boy wears skirt to school in protest after teachers ban shorts in sweltering weather

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Manchester Evening News: Boy wears skirt to school in protest after teachers ban shorts in sweltering weather

Post by Coder »

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... t-27133439

It's silly season again! As others have rightly pointed out, this does little to further the cause. I will say, however that such protests could/would give guys who were so inclined an excuse to wear a skirt, but it would be short lived when the:

protest wore off
weather cooled down
rules disallowing shorts were changed

And what's up with making them wear blazers? I keep seeing that in most of these articles - do blazers make you more intelligent :roll:? I suppose it's to "keep tradition" "have things prim and proper" but to me it feels like an arbitrary standard that adults think is so important because "insert generic/historical reason here".
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Manchester Evening News: Boy wears skirt to school in protest after teachers ban shorts in sweltering weather

Post by moonshadow »

It's kinda a stupid thing to cover on a news article anyway....

...this just in, boy's nose had an itch and he scratched it. Story continues below...

Dave Whodum, a high school senior was making scrambled eggs at 730 Wednesday morning when he suddenly got a whiff of pepper in his nose, he proceeded to..... blah blah blah....
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Manchester Evening News: Boy wears skirt to school in protest after teachers ban shorts in sweltering weather

Post by Jim »

So it's obvious to us, but the article makes the point that skirts are more comfortable than pants, are more appropriate than shorts in a more formal situation, and that boys aren't teased or reprimanded for wearing skirts. All good points we should cheer and be glad is being publicized once again. It wasn't even labeled a protest by the boy, although others were considering it as a protest.
bikesaurus

Post by bikesaurus »

Jim wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 12:33 am So it's obvious to us, but the article makes the point that skirts are more comfortable than pants, are more appropriate than shorts in a more formal situation, and that boys aren't teased or reprimanded for wearing skirts. All good points we should cheer and be glad is being publicized once again. It wasn't even labeled a protest by the boy, although others were considering it as a protest.
This is how I see it.

I think a lot of people reading the article would just think to themselves, "just let the boys wear shorts!" I read the article and think that it's good for him for being able to wear skirts and hopefully not be derided by his classmates.

Yes, the school should allow boys and girls to wear shorts. It's also good to know that boys can wear skirts if they want to.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

bikesaurus wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 2:10 pmI read the article and think that it's good for him for being able to wear skirts and hopefully not be derided by his classmates.
I noticed that too - a lot of times articles will focus on the bullying aspect of non-conformance. That was strangely absent from this one.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

Two linked observations.

1. Schools in this situation often claim that boys can't wear shorts but they can wear skirts. They are being dishonest when they say that - they emphatically do NOT want boys to wear skirts. They will allow them as a protest, but there is no sincere desire by the school to give boys an equal choice as they give to girls. This is obvious by the fact that there are no school skirts sold for boys: only skirts designed and marketed exclusively for girls. A parent confronted with this situation should point this out and invite the school to say which supplier sells boys or even unisex skirts. Or are they advocating male students should indulge in cross-dressing?

2. In relation to 1. above, schools could go some way to resolving this and proving their sincerity by contacting suppliers and urging them to market skirts as unisex, as they do some other garments. They could also point to the fact that many menswear fashion designers are now offering skirts for men, so the idea that males can't wear skirts is out-of-date and irrelevant. This could be achieved by showing both sexes modelling trousers and skirts on their website. But they won't do anything of the sort because they are not being sincere: they are simply circumventing equality legislation, allowing girls a genuine choice and no corresponding choice for boys.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

bikesaurus wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 2:10 pm
I think a lot of people reading the article would just think to themselves, "just let the boys wear shorts!" I read the article and think that it's good for him for being able to wear skirts and hopefully not be derided by his classmates.

Yes, the school should allow boys and girls to wear shorts. It's also good to know that boys can wear skirts if they want to.
No, the boys cannot wear skirts, because of the unofficial dress code.

A boy might get away with a brief protest, but if he persists The Powers That Be know that he will be bullied.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Two changes that are much more likely than boys in skirts:

1. The Powers That Be pre-empt the Trans thing by requiring all students to wear trousers. (No skirts for girls).

2. They relent by allowing boys to wear shorts
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

I'm pleased to see that this one has come up only a few miles from me:
https://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/surrey ... t-27672417