Out and About -- In the World at Large

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
big_daddy_thong

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by big_daddy_thong »

Today I was out and about during work, shopping and running errands while wearing a denim mid thigh skirt with a t shirt. It was 95 degrees out so the air blowing between my legs was welcoming. I was in the middle of doing a DIY home improvement project, so I had to run to LOWE'S for some missing supplies to finish the job. I went into the store and sought out a sales associate for help. He was maybe the same age as I was (66 btw if anyone is asking) and helped me find the items I needed to finish the work. After he had shown me where the supplies were located, he asked me if I was wearing a skirt. He commented it looked good on me and where he could buy one for himself. He was wearing cargo shorts but he was still way to hot. I said I'm a skirt convert and don't wear shorts at all in this kind of heat. I told him I got this particular skirt at Goodwill. I also advised him to check out Burlington Coat Factory, Ross and any other retail stores or shop online. He said the next time I come into the store you will see me in a skirt. We both laughed and I went on my way. It is so good to see other men being open to genderless fashion options and taking the time to ask someone about it.
B~D
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

That was a rewarding outing B-D. Got the goods you wanted, got a compliment and inspired someone to wear skirts.
....... and yes, there is nothing like a welcome breeze in a skirt.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Ozdelights
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ozdelights »

I agree that's a great positive interaction.
Modoc
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Modoc »

Mipi wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:04 am My opinion on "no comment" situation regarding men skirt wearing. I just believe the people are to polite to show or give any rude comments in most cases. Double looks are meaning that they noticed your skirt for sure, just don't wont to be rude. But again that doesn't mean they are accepting this as a norm. Just maybe don't care, have their own problems, don't like to be rude... I'm sure they are telling "stories" to their friends when they meet and have good laugh afterwards.

I'm really sorry, I'm not capable to put my thoughts more clearly in English :x But hope you got the point.

Mipi
I'm fairly new here and I hope no one minds me revisiting some of the older posts. This one gave me pause to think. I believe it's correct that some people just don't want to be rude and not say anything if they object to my wearing a skirt. As a matter of fact, I think it's fair to say it happens a lot, but the fact that they may not accept it as a norm doesn't bother me in the least. Keeping silent rather than raising a vocal objection shows some respect for me as a person and that's all I want.
“And the time came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.”
― Anaïs Nin
Offkilter69
Distinguished Member

Post by Offkilter69 »

Coder wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 1:36 pm Went to the Ann Arbor Art fair skirted on Thursday (all day) and Friday (just for 45 minutes to pick something up). It's a pretty liberal town, and routinely see all manner of individuals, so I don't think I stood out that much. Garnered two compliments on my skirt print (foxes on a green background), which was heartening - both made my day and encouraged me to be a bit bolder the next. Sadly, I didn't see any other guys in a skirt (I usually see at least one), nor any utility kilts.
You missed me! I was there Friday and Saturday for about 5-6 hours each day while wearing two of my utility kilts. We did come across two other guys in utility kilts as well, and my daughters saw a guy in a metallic gold cocktail dress (not sure he helped the cause). The art fair lived up to the hype, and will probably be back in the future!
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Offkilter69 wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:19 pm
Coder wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 1:36 pm Went to the Ann Arbor Art fair skirted on Thursday (all day) and Friday (just for 45 minutes to pick something up). It's a pretty liberal town, and routinely see all manner of individuals, so I don't think I stood out that much. Garnered two compliments on my skirt print (foxes on a green background), which was heartening - both made my day and encouraged me to be a bit bolder the next. Sadly, I didn't see any other guys in a skirt (I usually see at least one), nor any utility kilts.
You missed me! I was there Friday and Saturday for about 5-6 hours each day while wearing two of my utility kilts. We did come across two other guys in utility kilts as well, and my daughters saw a guy in a metallic gold cocktail dress (not sure he helped the cause). The art fair lived up to the hype, and will probably be back in the future!
Cool! I didn't see any skirted/kilted men, or at least none obvious - I usually see at least one each year. It's a fun event, always brings in one big storm (this year we even got hail, so yeah, hail to the art fair...).
jjjjohanne

Post by jjjjohanne »

I went to a church in a dress this weekend. I had visited it a couple times before. It was an amazingly positive experience. People who saw me previously waved to me and one came up to greet me personally. Numerous people introduced themselves to me and introduced me to their family members. I did not expect all of that!

Almost all of the women were in dresses. I was the only guy in a dress that I saw. I felt beautiful and I felt welcomed.
Joey

I posted about the experience on my blog if you want to read all of the story: joeypress.wordpress.com .
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

jjjjohanne wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:05 pm I went to a church in a dress this weekend. I had visited it a couple times before. It was an amazingly positive experience. People who saw me previously waved to me and one came up to greet me personally. Numerous people introduced themselves to me and introduced me to their family members. I did not expect all of that!

Almost all of the women were in dresses. I was the only guy in a dress that I saw. I felt beautiful and I felt welcomed.
Joey

I posted about the experience on my blog if you want to read all of the story: joeypress.wordpress.com .
Hi JH, I read the statement from the SDA on cross dressing and although accepting of all people they see what you are doing as a sin you should follow the bible. This is stormy waters, so I leave it there. I'm not sure their welcome will go on indefinitely.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Perhaps going about locally in my small town could not be described as the world at large however in the past week or two it seems the world at large has been passing through to the Mundi Mundi Bash festival/concert. https://mundimundibash.com.au/home/.
I walked along the street to get a photo of the cars and caravans lined up waiting to access the single diesel bowser. I was wearing my signature garment as usual, the mini skirt, and was conscious that all the people in the cars had nothing better to do than to observe the local inhabitant's attire.
queueing for diesel_P8205919crs.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

denimini wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 11:45 am Perhaps going about locally in my small town could not be described as the world at large however in the past week or two it seems the world at large has been passing through to the Mundi Mundi Bash festival/concert. https://mundimundibash.com.au/home/.
I walked along the street to get a photo of the cars and caravans lined up waiting to access the single diesel bowser. I was wearing my signature garment as usual, the mini skirt, and was conscious that all the people in the cars had nothing better to do than to observe the local inhabitant's attire.
queueing for diesel_P8205919crs.jpg
Wow! That line of RV's is so hard to fathom -- all I recall is almost nobody on the road with us, as we towed our little 13 foot caravan behind our Nissan Patrol, anywhere west of the coast, maybe the times are changing -- more skirts too? :D
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

Reminds me of the time I was doing a cross country trip that happened to coincide with Sturgis. The rest stops were all overflowing with motorcycles. There I was in a utility kilt, and not as single issue. I seem to remember at least one biker in a more traditional looking kilt (tartan, with the rest of his look typical biker gear), though I'm not sure how that works on a motorcycle. The only issue was not losing the rest of the group I was with in the crowd...
Modoc
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Modoc »

Earlier this past week I decided to go to an art exhibit because I was alone with time on my hands for me, that's the best time for exhibitions because I can linger or move on based solely on my interest in a work and not be concerned with what an accompanying party might be wanting to do. I recently got a dress at the thrift store that was very unusual for me in that it had a striking pattern of lines and colors. I usually stick to very drab colors and never patterns in dresses and skirts though I do like colorful shirts. So I put on this dress and got ready to head out only to realize that it was too early as the gallery didn't open until later. A small coffee shop along the way proved to be the perfect place to kill some time and do some reading while I waited. Having been to the coffee shop before but only wearing denim or plain skirts this new look did draw a bit more attention than usual even though the few patrons were familiar with my style of dress, but the experience was noneventful.
After giving the gallery time to be open for about half an hour or so I decided to head over. It was great that there were only a couple of other people there as it is a rather large gallery so I had free reign for a while. While I was viewing a particularly very large wall-mounted installation I noticed a woman with her cell up taking a picture. I didn't think much of it at first because after all this was a public place and I had nothing to hide. She must have felt the need to explain herself so she came over to me and said that she was the artist and wanted to take a picture of me viewing her work and that she hadn't already taken the picture but was just framing it in her lense for perspective. After assuring it was fine with me I went back to viewing her work and she took several shots. Then we had a nice chat about her work. I should have asked her to send me a copy of the pictures but didn't think of that until much later. I did visit her website and true to her word found several pictures of anonymous people viewing her works. Maybe she will add mine maybe not. If she does I will post it here.
“And the time came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.”
― Anaïs Nin
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

This is nothing unusual, I did the weekly food shop at our local supermarket this morning.
As I was getting ready to go out, a thought struck me and the point was I didn't, think, that is.
I just donned the skirt that I had been wearing yesterday without any consideration whatsoever.
If there is a moral to this, it can be summed up very easily, things do change, eventually!
Steve.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

A first for me this morning. I gave the sermon (well, half of it) at our Mennonite Church in a skirt.

Many responses of appreciation afterward, but not one seemed to be related to what I was wearing, which is good because I was not there to make any points about clothing.
DSCN3783cs.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jjjjohanne

Post by jjjjohanne »

Barleymower wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:27 am Hi JH, I read the statement from the SDA on cross dressing and although accepting of all people they see what you are doing as a sin you should follow the bible. This is stormy waters, so I leave it there. I'm not sure their welcome will go on indefinitely.
Yeah, I assume that you are correct. But, so far, they have been friendly, polite, welcoming. This is the first place that I have gone out like this (because I mostly keep my fashion uniqueness a secret) where people wave at me to say, "Hey, I'm glad you're back." I'll accept that kindness as long as it will last!! :)