Age, Style & Hemlines

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Age, Style & Hemlines

Post by JeffB1959 »

As a full blown fashion freestyler, near obsessed with how I present myself in public, I’ve developed a serious taste of late for skirts and dresses with mid-shin hemlines. Perhaps it’s my mindset as someone in my mid-sixties, but, I’ve come to appreciate long hemlines as classy and stylish, befitting a man of my advanced years. And, as part of that aforementioned mindset, when I’ve gone shopping, I’ve looked for dresses (which I’m all but wearing exclusively on my outings these days) that are at least knee length, if not longer.

Don’t get me wrong, I can still very much rock a miniskirt, and I definitely have the legs to pull it off, but, I feel more comfortable, more at ease with myself in longer styles, I firmly believe midiskirts exemplify who I am, and the style I choose to display to the public. Again, it’s all about being classy and looking my very best while out and about, perhaps some might say my current style is dull and/or dowdy, that’s perfectly fine, I don’t mind that at all, I know what I like, and this suits me greatly. I find it great fun how long skirts swish and swirl about my legs as I walk, how they go well with either flat shoes or high heels, there’s a certain level of elegance that comes with what I wear, and I certainly enjoy looking, and feeling elegant.

Now, does this mean I’ll never wear miniskirts/minidresses again? To be perfectly honest, I don’t know. I still like showing off my legs from time to time, but, as a person of a certain age, I prefer the truly classy look that comes from wearing longer hemlines. Is age conducive to what hem length a skirt wearer should and can wear? That's up to the person and his own personal tastes. What do you think?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Age, Style & Hemlines

Post by rivegauche »

[url][url][/url][/url]I think you should wear what makes YOU feel good. Also good to see someone else on this site who aspires to elegance. I take the elegance thing so seriously I got a colour and style consultation for both gender presentations - probably the best money I ever spent on clothes even though I just bought advice. I was advised to wear short (21") or long (>34") and I usually stick to this. Like you I prefer dresses over skirts. I love the feel of a skirt around my legs but I occasionally get a row from women for not showing off my legs (also mid sixties). A long voluminous dress with bare legs is fun to wear on a breezy day in a way that a short one would not. I also quite like what I call "skirt management" whether I am presenting as a man or a woman (I do both). My style consultation steered me towards classic styles in plain colours so I have few dresses with big florals - many are one colour in cotton or linen. You are a man in address - you already rise above what others think - stick with YOUR preferred length and enjoy your outfits.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

JeffB1959 wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:55 am Don’t get me wrong, I can still very much rock a miniskirt, and I definitely have the legs to pull it off,
Yes you certainly look good in mini skirts
JeffB1959 wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:55 amI prefer the truly classy look that comes from wearing longer hemlines.
....... and you always look classy, something I never attempt but happy with casual and workwear look.
JeffB1959 wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:55 am Is age conducive to what hem length a skirt wearer should and can wear? That's up to the person and his own personal tastes. What do you think?
I have never considered the connection of age and style, as we are breaking fashion rules by wearing skirts so I feel quite immune from other conventions. I am in my 70's and feel psychologically comfortable wearing 11" to 14" mini skirts, OK with 15" to 16" and not confident with anything longer.
JeffB1959 wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:55 am That's up to the person and his own personal tastes. What do you think?
Yes just up to personal tastes.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

rivergauche: I'll admit I had little interest in elegance in the beginning, but I embraced it because of my passion, if not obsession for looking my best while in public. There are probably still people out there who think that a man in a dress looks silly, so, by looking classy and stylish, I hope to dispel that myth. Also, back in the day, I only liked solid colors, now, I just LOVE prints, especially floral prints for my dresses, they suit my style and personal taste.

denimini: Thanks much for the kind words. I hope this thread gives everyone pause to reflect on their own sense of style.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

I think it is down to preference but generally as you get older, your hemline usually lowers... I still prefer a knee length pencil style in formal skirts, or 27 inch calf length for the colder months with boots and tights, I might wear a skater style that is above the knee with stockings in summer but it's all down to choice. Denim ones are generally knee length too, I like what you and Skirtyscot wear, which is a useful guide for me in workwear.

I guess when you're younger you want to show off more leg or be more daring, but nowadays I feel quite comfortable looking perhaps more frumpy and middle aged for 58...
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

No need to look further, Jeff. That floral pink roses over grey number has it in Spades. Everything else looks frumpy in comparison.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !