Bear Grylls

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Bear Grylls

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

Bear Grylls, British wilderness adventurer and TV presenter (and Chief Scout for the UK Scout Association), recently featured on the ancestry documentary programme "Who Do You Think You Are?". He told the interviewer “I love wearing a kilt at home. My sons always laugh at me because I love to wear a kilt when I go out with the dogs." He also said that his wife doesn't like him to wear it more formally because he "isn't Scottish". He has now discovered that he is descended from the 1st Marquess of Argyll and Robert the Bruce, so I hope we'll see him out in a kilt more often!
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Bear Grylls

Post by Barleymower »

Here's the marquess is a pair of tights, a silk dress and taffeta. Looks really good.
Bear should keep it in mind the next time he walks the dog.
Screenshot_20230615_235722_DuckDuckGo~2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Myopic Bookworm wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:49 pm Bear Grylls, British wilderness adventurer and TV presenter (and Chief Scout for the UK Scout Association), recently featured on the ancestry documentary programme "Who Do You Think You Are?". He told the interviewer “I love wearing a kilt at home. My sons always laugh at me because I love to wear a kilt when I go out with the dogs." He also said that his wife doesn't like him to wear it more formally because he "isn't Scottish". He has now discovered that he is descended from the 1st Marquess of Argyll and Robert the Bruce, so I hope we'll see him out in a kilt more often!
As one who loves camping in the national forests and wildernesses, I get the love of the freedom of the kilt. I used to have to camp/hike in late fall/ winter in snow. I was forced to wear cotton king John’s and pants and multiple cotton tops from shirts to flannels and then thick coats. The restriction was horrible. Since then I’ve grown up and now when I’m out there, I don’t wear such thick stuff cause it way restricts the movement.
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

Myopic Bookworm wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:49 pm Bear Grylls, British wilderness adventurer and TV presenter (and Chief Scout for the UK Scout Association), recently featured on the ancestry documentary programme "Who Do You Think You Are?". He told the interviewer “I love wearing a kilt at home. My sons always laugh at me because I love to wear a kilt when I go out with the dogs." He also said that his wife doesn't like him to wear it more formally because he "isn't Scottish". He has now discovered that he is descended from the 1st Marquess of Argyll and Robert the Bruce, so I hope we'll see him out in a kilt more often!
Great. But taking in consideration, that formal wear situations are rather few compared to taking the dog out, shoppings grocery, going sightseeing somewhere, walking in the woods or along the coast, driving to the DIY-market, and you name it, there is no real need to be Scottish to wear a kilt.
I like the casual look, just the kilt instead of jeans or shorts.
GerdG

There ARE viable alternatives to trousers.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Barleymower wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 11:03 pm Here's the marquess is a pair of tights, a silk dress and taffeta. Looks really good.
I could give the taffeta a miss, but the rest of his rig is great! Maybe a wee bit too flamboyant for this year, but I bet all the debs were queuing up for him back in 1630-something.

But are you sure that's him? He looks like a right grumpy old git here: https://www.britannica.com/biography/Ar ... -of-Argyll
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

skirtyscot wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 9:25 pm
Barleymower wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 11:03 pm Here's the marquess is a pair of tights, a silk dress and taffeta. Looks really good.
I could give the taffeta a miss, but the rest of his rig is great! Maybe a wee bit too flamboyant for this year, but I bet all the debs were queuing up for him back in 1630-something.

But are you sure that's him? He looks like a right grumpy old git here: https://www.britannica.com/biography/Ar ... -of-Argyll
Actually I have no idea. Maybe the photo I found was in his younger more dapper days?
https://bonniedundee1689.wordpress.com/ ... of-argyll/
Don't knock the taffeta it's central to the look😀
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Myopic Bookworm wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:49 pm He has now discovered that he is descended from the 1st Marquess of Argyll and Robert the Bruce,
He also has a one in two hundred chance of being descended from Genghis Khan.
Put it about quite a lot the nobs did, there are likely more than a few with claims to descent from Wallace, Bruce and good old Jock Thomson too.
Steve
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Ah, my mistake. Mr Grumpy was the grandfather of the dashing Mr Teffeta. How fashions change!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

Alas, Bear also said that he doesn’t generally wear the kilts out “because my wife says they look ridiculous” (which raised a cheer from the female next to me :( )

Sadly, even one of the most adventurous guys on the planet can’t get past spousal opposition. That certainly has not helped my case.
skirtedbrit
Distinguished Member

Post by skirtedbrit »

I am not Scottish but I have several kilts and wear the expensive outfit to formal events. I do not care what people think, I will wear what I like and will not pay any attention to peer pressure. I hate suits and got rid of my last one many years ago, kilts are better to wear and look better than the drab uniform men wear even the penguin suits.
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

SB: likewise. I was fortunate to walk into a gentleman’s outfitters in Jedburgh seeking an ex-hire kilt to be offered a handmade wool kilt from one (now defunct) of the best kilt-makers in Edinburgh. I paid £105 for the kilt, dress sporran and chain, belt with large buckle and flashes.

It has seen service (with borrowed vest and jacket) and two formal family weddings and with shirt and sweater at several less formal dos, including my 69th birthday, for which my wife had a special cake made.

[Edited to add pictures and correct some typos]

This was the cake:

and here is a closeup of "me".

The significance is as follows:

Orange parka, woolly hat and walking boots- my standard winter wear (the birthday was in January)

Kilt - my MacKay Ancient dress kilt. the baker has captured the colours very well

"Trumpet" - it was supposed to be a trombone, which I play. Either the lady found it too hard to make a trombone in sugar icing, which would stick out a long way, or she doesn't know much about musical instruments

Black and white border - representing a piano keyboard, which I also play

I was delighted with the cake. However, when my wife's big birthday comes around next year, I am not trusted to design the cake :-(
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

Love the cake! This post has inspired me to wear a kilt again, as I had switched to skirts as they are a lot cheaper... I saw a nice one on Ebay recently called Spirit of Argyll for around £100 at auction but I don't think I can squeeze into a 34 to 36 as I have put on weight, I am up to a size 14 to 16 in skirts now :oops: it's the cost of them that can put me off. Determined to lose weight now, I felt self conscious when trying to squeeze past two German students when boarding a flight back to England in my tight pencil skirt to get to my window seat :oops:

Do they sell kilts for large guys or don't they look as presentable? I'd be looking for at least a 38 to 42 waist at present :blue: then it's the cost of accessories like the hose etc... a chap in Algiers who always wears a kilt on Instagram I think called Henry Hoppe inspired me to get back out there in one.

It would be great to see Bear Grylls in a kilt ♡♡♡
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

If you don’t require pure wool, you can get kilts at reasonable prices. For example, my Pride of Scotland (I think that’s the correct name) was around £50 from The Scotland Kilt Company. It’s in poly/viscose fabric and very comfortable.