The Michigan Daily: The clothing-controlled group

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

The Michigan Daily: The clothing-controlled group

Post by Coder »

https://www.michigandaily.com/opinion/c ... led-group/

Not directly about MIS, but interesting nonetheless:
With that said, there is most definitely a socialized dress code that is easy for me to use as a guidebook: social media posts, TV advertisements or runways, to name a few. The code, although not written in print, is further reinforced through addendums that implicitly determine the desirability of certain body shapes, complexions, ages and so forth. As someone who has exited a mandatory uniform, I find this non-mandatory practice absurd and the guidebook a trap.

Entering a public university or the general public space comes with a freely elected course for self-discovery — with you being a walking billboard of personality and learning. Individuality and means of expressing it may seem innate unless you are someone who has been devoid of it until adulthood, but growth is possible for all. As someone on this course of discovery, I can attest that there does not have to be a right or wrong way to dress as long as we ignore the socialized uniform. Happiness and confidence in oneself should be free from outside influence yet may be hard to realize when left uncontrolled. I choose to continue to take control. When searching for fashion inspiration on Instagram or a Pinterest board, choose what makes you as an individual feel empowered and confident, rather than what any guidebook mandates.