Out and About -- In the World at Large

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Dungo

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by Dungo »

Feeling brave I took a trip to Aldi today for the weekly shop wearing my light brown 5:11 tactical kilt, black tee shirt and sandals. It felt great in the heat we have currently in south eastern UK.

It was mostly a non-event with just a couple of sideways looks until I was almost done, at which point a couple of ladies approached me to compliment my attire, ask a couple of questions and tell me I wore it well. What a lovely feeling, especially as Mrs Dungo is very far from approving.

Little wins… :D
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Dungo wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 4:16 pm Feeling brave I took a trip to Aldi today for the weekly shop wearing my light brown 5:11 tactical kilt, black tee shirt and sandals. It felt great in the heat we have currently in south eastern UK.

It was mostly a non-event with just a couple of sideways looks until I was almost done, at which point a couple of ladies approached me to compliment my attire, ask a couple of questions and tell me I wore it well. What a lovely feeling, especially as Mrs Dungo is very far from approving.

Awesome! Was Mrs Dungo with you during this trip?
Dungo

Post by Dungo »

ScotL wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 5:59 pm
Dungo wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 4:16 pm Feeling brave I took a trip to Aldi today for the weekly shop wearing my light brown 5:11 tactical kilt, black tee shirt and sandals. It felt great in the heat we have currently in south eastern UK.

Awesome! Was Mrs Dungo with you during this trip?
Sadly not. Mrs D. is really not on board with the whole idea, so I have to pick my moments.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Dungo wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 9:13 pm
Sadly not. Mrs D. is really not on board with the whole idea, so I have to pick my moments.
Good luck with her. I’ve learned wives don’t like surprises like that. Flowers for her birthday or just because? They love them then. I believe slow and steady wins the game. Glad you had an awesome time wearing what you want
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

ScotL wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 10:01 am
SkirtedWalker wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:18 pm The Walgreens checkout lady smiled and said “nice blue” about my stellar blue skirt.
Nicely done. Do you believe the checkout lade wanted to say something after the word “blue” and just couldn’t think about what word to use?
I wondered if she was going to say "Nice legs", and thought better of it!
SkirtedWalker

Post by SkirtedWalker »

Myopic Bookworm wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:12 pmI wondered if she was going to say "Nice legs", and thought better of it
Another interesting thought. Thanks. That would have been a nice complement too.

I don’t get that when I wear my favorite Patagonia Quandary shorts, 5” inseam, that show much more ‘leg’. The smile told me it was the skirt she liked. Otherwise, I doubt she would have said anything.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

So I've been keeping up wearing skirts with my (almost) daily trips to the local supermarket for lunch, and so far no other reactions of note. My brain is still on edge and sometimes I cross the road because I think I might have to pass people closely otherwise. But I'm noticing that it's becoming easier. And damn comfortable!

Actually, there was one event: there's a primary school on the way and while passing it a group of young girls called out to me to demonstrate some new dance moves they were practicing. I must say I just smiled and waved and said it looked good while continuing on. I could have gone into the interaction more fully, but like I said, the brain is still on edge. Maybe next time.

I figure I'm doing my part to make it easier for the next generation. Who knows?

Oh yeah, and I accidently tore a skirt while getting on a bike. Just not paying attention. €3 from the second-hand store, but still. Maybe I can repair it.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Kudos again for SK's "Help Line"! We flew home on the 7th -- skirted all the way; when it was just a a couple years back that I confessed on this site that flying in and out of the US and all its TSA, Homeland Security crud with guys hyped up on their "authority" that that was one of the few places I did not wear skirts. Upon this note, several of the members wrote that they did remain skirted for their trips despite the rather militant attitude of airport security, and had no problems. So, with that re-assurance, I have made my flights skirted. Not only do I feel better about myself, I travel more comfortably and encountered zilch in the way of problems -- just like everywhere else. So, a big thank you guys for encouragement and sharing your experience. With that hurdle crossed, I can't think of anywhere I could not wear a skirt for social reasons; and only a few for physical ones.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Went to the Ann Arbor Art fair skirted on Thursday (all day) and Friday (just for 45 minutes to pick something up). It's a pretty liberal town, and routinely see all manner of individuals, so I don't think I stood out that much. Garnered two compliments on my skirt print (foxes on a green background), which was heartening - both made my day and encouraged me to be a bit bolder the next. Sadly, I didn't see any other guys in a skirt (I usually see at least one), nor any utility kilts.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Had me a pronoun askin' today. Once again, she seemed a little confused when I said "him"....

I don't mind, it's better than what I normally get.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

My pronouns hasn't changed but I did get called "love' in Screwfix a while back. A wry look from me followed and the man behind the till changed his tune and he talked about going home soon.

Moving forward to yesterday I was out in rain in one of my favourites to the Post Office and Morrisons supermarket. I was unshaven (chin) because my razor failed me. No comments or complements in fact noone seemed to notice. Complements are rare beast and criticism is even rarer.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

Every now and then, I get called “Miss”, usually by salespeople in stores, but, that doesn’t bother me. In fact, I find it rather amusing, so I don’t bother correcting anyone because I enjoy the private joke about being mistaken for a woman when I’m anything but.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

I didn't real mind being called 'love'. Thus the wry look. I think the man hadn't encountered such a sight before and it threw him. There was an element of a private joke there now I think about it
Midas
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Midas »

Some people in some parts of the country call everyone ‘love’.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Recommended place to go: Harbour Bites in Brixham Devon.
I just a lovely chat with the proprietor. She said that there's very little choice out there for men and much more choice for women. She sais it's so difficult for men and boys now. Everyone should wear whatever they want.