Yoink!!

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
BouffantBelle

Yoink!!

Post by BouffantBelle »

Just had this rare beaut pop up on ebay in just my size. :P somebody was sewing with me in mind! (well, probably not, but let's go with it anyway.)
IMG_Sun Jun 11 19_39_27 GMT+01_00 2023.jpg
Now, is it going to have a nice, even hem? Or are the hanging folds going to look all higgledy-piggeldy, like an inverted bar chart?

I have a pet hate about uneven hems, and circular cuts are prone to them, due to the fabric bias (and sometimes careless finishing). I really hope I don't have to have it corrected. Double circle = much bigger job than usual, and probably more cost than I paid for the skirt in the first place!

Anyway, that's a result as far as I'm concerned. I'm always on the lookout for these! :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Uncle Al

Re: Yoink!!

Post by Uncle Al »

NICE :!: :D

I would wear it but I'ld have to get mine from Omar The Tent Maker ;)

However, in Texas Heat I would be too hot. It doesn't allow much breeze for cooling ;)

I do love it, though ;)

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
BouffantBelle

Post by BouffantBelle »

Uncle Al wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 7:20 pm I would wear it but I'ld have to get mine from Omar The Tent Maker ;)
Aw. It ain't that bad! Image

Just past the knee, this is actually on the less substantial size for me. For gawd sake, don't look at my others!! :lol:
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

BouffantBelle wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:41 pm Just had this rare beaut pop up on ebay in just my size.
Nice!
BouffantBelle

Post by BouffantBelle »

Myopic Bookworm wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:38 am Nice!
Thanks, MB! :)

It has pockets and a back zipper, which...not really my thing. I prefer the shell of my skirts completely unbroken, but it is great to have one of these pop up at a reasonable price, instead of having to custom commission a seamstress. (incidentally, this lady is happy to take custom requests, so that's another avenue to explore. I really hope this one turns out to be well-finished, completely even hems usually cost me a fortune!)
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Double circle skirts are as rare as rocking horse poo. I would love to find one in a mini length (skirt that is).
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
BouffantBelle

Post by BouffantBelle »

denimini wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:51 am Double circle skirts are as rare as rocking horse poo. I would love to find one in a mini length (skirt that is).
:) Don't I know it. They're usually dedicated to dancing, so there just isn't the same demand for them as there is for single circle. This will be the first that I haven't had to custom commission.

Are there no seamstresses in your area that you could approach? It will of course be more expensive than usual, but a mini length shouldn't break the bank, I don't think?
Spirou003
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Spirou003 »

BouffantBelle wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:57 amIt will of course be more expensive than usual, but a mini length shouldn't break the bank, I don't think?
Mini or longer, it doesn't matter that much. The price will increase with the length due to the amount of textile, but the time to make the skirt will stay virtually the same. And this is the biggest part of the price if you go to a local seamstress.
To give you an example, I made a linen circle skirt myself a few years ago. The textile did cost, say 30€. All the fabrication (from textile to final skirt with pockets, elastic waist, etc) would require 4 hours (*). Working weeks of 40 hours, 4 working weeks a month, if I ask 10€/hour my gross salary is 1600€/month for a full-time job. Taking in account all the taxes etc, I would have to ask at least twice that price to have a decent salary, making the skirt to cost 110€. It was a skirt that goes above the knees, reduce it to a mini skirt, the best you can hope is to get the textile 20€ cheaper. And I'm optimistic because when you buy textile, you often need to buy "at least that much" which can easily be way too much for a mini.

But you made me curious to try a double-circle skirt. When I'll be sure to have no big expense coming soon, I'll give it a try!

(*) By assuming it is made way faster than I do, actually it's more like 15-20 hours. I'm not a professionnal, just a guy who happen to have a few capabilities in this topic
BouffantBelle

Post by BouffantBelle »

Spirou003 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:59 am Mini or longer, it doesn't matter that much. The price will increase with the length due to the amount of textile, but the time to make the skirt will stay virtually the same. And this is the biggest part of the price if you go to a local seamstress.
:?:
If you make them yourself, then I'm sorry, but I don't understand how you can't see how wrong this statement is.
Circular cuts mean more length = greater hem circumference. And finishing the hem is where the bulk of the work is. You can imagine how much work must go into finishing the hem of two complete circles that are around eight feet in diameter, as would be for a full-length skirt. If you can't, then I dunno what to tell ya. Image