news.com.au: Wet Lettuce men are hotter then alpha males

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Re: news.com.au: Wet Lettuce men are hotter then alpha males

Post by moonshadow »

Stu wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:07 am In terms of gender, we have to decide what exactly we mean by that. If we are talking about gender in the linguistic sense, then there are three in English - masculine, feminine and neuter. If we are talking about gender in the sense of human disposition, then that is a social construct which is sometimes linked to biological sex and sometimes not - and it exists along a continuum between hyper-masculinity and hyper-femininity. I do not accept the notion of "non-binary" as it relates only to feelings and I don't accept the premise that identity is exclusively predicated on how we feel.
I view "gender" as a matter of philosophy and when we get right down to it has much more in common with what we would consider religion rather than sex, whereas sex is something pretty clearly defined, gender- not so much.

And like religion, various gender ideologies are something that one either completely subscribes to, or ADAMANTLY oppose.

And like religion, it is based primarily on personal belief.

And like religion, that belief is based on more or less what's in the heart or "soul".

And like religion, people kill and are killed over it.

And like religion, I've gravitated towards the idea that perhaps discussion of it should be banned in K-12 schools.

I do accept the notion of "non-binary" and consider it a necessary part of the gender discussion. But I respect your opinion in this regard, and like religion, we're probably not going to change each other's mind, so... like religion, we're probably just going to have to leave it there. :)

As for "woke", "woke" to me means what it always has, it something I experience every morning, usually after breakfast. But I know what you're talking about, and consider it just the next chapter in McCarthyism, the "red scare", and that old chesnut. I just wonder what we'll call it next decade?

But socially speaking, I would say that I like to think "woke" quite simply is me treating others as I'd want to be treated. Regarding what the "non-woke" people like to chant about the word, frankly I just like making fun of the whole thing. It really is quite ridiculous. Oh we all just gravitate to our own little tribes, and build walls up around ourselves, and we we shout, it echos back to our own ears. Sometimes we hurl rocks over the walls and it hits the people in the other tribes who also like to throw rocks back at us.

We're not advanced... we're all just a bunch of grunting cavemen that know how to type.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
jamie001
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamie001 »

ScotL wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 3:06 pm
rivegauche wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:12 pm
She simply meant that it took real courage for a man to go out in public dressed as a woman, and she seemed to interpret having such courage as evidence of real masculinity.
Exactly. Well done
Or another way to interpret is that it took real courage and femininity for a man to dress in a typically feminine outfit. The takeaway here is that men can evolve to be more feminine and more like women.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

jamie001 wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 3:28 pm Hi Moon,

You are confusing two terms in the same way that the majority of society does.

Biological Sex: there are two biological sexes. Male and female.

Gender: gender is a spectrum that ranges from male to female. Gender does not always match biological sex.
I think you missed my sarcasm.

But let me be clear, I myself do honestly consider the notion of "gender" more like a philosophy, very similar to religion in many aspects, and have such have made it an endeavor of mine to not argue about it. It really isn't a productive use of time.

We are what we are and we believe what we believe, and no amount of bickering on the internet or elsewhere is going to change that. I just wish we could stop killing each other over both gender and religion. Let people be. I don't personally agree with everything I see regarding "gender", just like I don't agree with everything I see regarding "religion", but at the end of the day, I'm just one man, and this world is a whole lot bigger than me.
In addition, I don’t mind the terms sissy and Nancy Boi and even prefer them to wet lettuce men.
"Lettuce man"... I'm lost on that one. For the life of me I can't fathom how that got to be a thing. "Sissy" is obvious, it's a word that goes back many generations and has often described an aspect of femininity. I've always thought "Nancy" was a pretty name for a girl, maybe how it rhymes with "fancy". Perhaps that's how "Nancy boy" got started, as another word for "fancy boy". Regardless I don't care what people call me anyway. I know what I am.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

moonshadow wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 3:41 pm I just wish we could stop killing each other over both gender and religion. Let people be. I don't personally agree with everything I see regarding "gender", just like I don't agree with everything I see regarding "religion", but at the end of the day, I'm just one man, and this world is a whole lot bigger than me.
Amen
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

moonshadow wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 3:33 pm
I view "gender" as a matter of philosophy and when we get right down to it has much more in common with what we would consider religion rather than sex, whereas sex is something pretty clearly defined, gender- not so much.
That's the problem with the word "gender". When we start to discuss it, it gradually moves away from being an ontological argument towards being a semantic one, and then you find people start to make up their own definitions. Thus, the word becomes purely subjective and loses any firm denotation. It means whatever you want it to mean.
And like religion, I've gravitated towards the idea that perhaps discussion of it should be banned in K-12 schools.
I couldn't agree more.
As for "woke", "woke" to me means what it always has, it something I experience every morning, usually after breakfast. But I know what you're talking about, and consider it just the next chapter in McCarthyism, the "red scare", and that old chesnut. I just wonder what we'll call it next decade?
Stalinism? It shares many of the features of the Stalinism like dictating what people can and can't say and punishing people for "wrong think", as well as promoting the state above the family. That's why I believe it must be resisted. Of course, its roots actually lie in the ideas of Karl Marx, but re-imagined. The aim is still the same: the eradication of capitalism. However, the perspective has changed (bourgeoisie v proletariat moves to privileged class versus oppressed minorities) and the methods have changed to some degree.
But socially speaking, I would say that I like to think "woke" quite simply is me treating others as I'd want to be treated. Regarding what the "non-woke" people like to chant about the word, frankly I just like making fun of the whole thing. It really is quite ridiculous. Oh we all just gravitate to our own little tribes, and build walls up around ourselves, and we we shout, it echos back to our own ears. Sometimes we hurl rocks over the walls and it hits the people in the other tribes who also like to throw rocks back at us.
Treating people as I'd want to be treated? OK, like giving them free speech instead of de-platforming them, doxxing them, trying to get them fired from their jobs because they wouldn't use a particular pronoun or because we tell our children that we don't buy into their fashionable dogma:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... b.desktop_

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... ching.html
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Stu wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 4:02 pm
Stalinism? It shares many of the features of the Stalinism like dictating what people can and can't say and punishing people for "wrong think", as well as promoting the state above the family. That's why I believe it must be resisted. Of course, its roots actually lie in the ideas of Karl Marx, but re-imagined. The aim is still the same: the eradication of capitalism. However, the perspective has changed (bourgeoisie v proletariat moves to privileged class versus oppressed minorities) and the methods have changed to some degree.
I know what you're getting at, and I myself lead in your direction here Stu. But I just look at these social arguments as something that have always existed ever since the conclusion of the dark ages and the rise in freedom of thought. Personally I don't subscribe to the dogma of any "ism", and believe they all are doomed to failure due to the vices of humanity. But, we, as a society tweak and tinker with our various theories of economics. We win some, we lose some. There are periods of boom and bust, always have been, always will be.

I'm just happy to be along for the ride.

But punishing people for "wrong think" is something that both sides of the issue are guilty of. At one point in time, those on the far left were more guilty. From the early 1990's to around the early 2010's, in my observation those on the right or semi-right seemed to align more with the libertarian view of "I may not agree with it, but it's none of my business and this is a free country".

However over the last few years I've seen those who align on the "right" become just as authoritarian as those on the hard left. Those of us in the middle who just want to live our lives are finding ourselves stripped of more and more freedoms courtesy of policy makers on both sides.

e.g., before long I it will be illegal for me to wear a skirt and drive a gasoline powered car.... :roll:
Treating people as I'd want to be treated? OK, like giving them free speech instead of de-platforming them, doxxing them, trying to get them fired from their jobs because they wouldn't use a particular pronoun or because we tell our children that we don't buy into their fashionable dogma:
Personally, I'd never try to get someone fired for their opinion. And I shop at the businesses I want. I joked with a friend of mine the other day that I'd be the enby guy, in a skirt, eating a Chic-fil-a sandwhich, drinking a Bud-Light, that I purchased from Target, sitting in the cheap seats at a NASCAR race, with a RAINBOW Confederate flag flying from my 13mpg pickup truck with "In God I Trust" across the back window, tailgating with my GAS cooktop :lol:

I'll make everyone's head explode!

People need to chill out. Honestly, the whole thing is just getting hilarious at this point.

That's not "woke" that's INSANE. Let's call it what it is.

It should be called out! I agree, but when we call action like this "woke" we put it in the same bucket as the original meaning of the word "woke" which used to be an understanding of the systematic racism that existed in our western culture. And it DID exist. I should know, I was raised up in the middle of it.
-Andrea
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

moonshadow wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 4:27 pm People need to chill out. Honestly, the whole thing is just getting hilarious at this point.
Amen!
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Coder wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 5:35 pm
moonshadow wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 4:27 pm People need to chill out. Honestly, the whole thing is just getting hilarious at this point.
Amen!
Amen
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

I’m still hung up on people who microwave lettuce! What’s up with that?
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

JeffB1959 wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:22 pm I’m still hung up on people who microwave lettuce! What’s up with that?
I did this... many moons ago, thinking I could reheat a fast food burger.

I do not recommend this. :pukel:
-Andrea
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

moonshadow wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:48 pm
JeffB1959 wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:22 pm I’m still hung up on people who microwave lettuce! What’s up with that?
I did this... many moons ago, thinking I could reheat a fast food burger.

I do not recommend this. :pukel:
Reheating a fast food burger? EWWWW! :shock:
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
jamie001
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamie001 »

Written by Moon:

"Personally, I'd never try to get someone fired for their opinion. And I shop at the businesses I want. I joked with a friend of mine the other day that I'd be the enby guy, in a skirt, eating a Chic-fil-a sandwhich, drinking a Bud-Light, that I purchased from Target, sitting in the cheap seats at a NASCAR race, with a RAINBOW Confederate flag flying from my 13mpg pickup truck with "In God I Trust" across the back window, tailgating with my GAS cooktop :lol:

I'll make everyone's head explode!

People need to chill out. Honestly, the whole thing is just getting hilarious at this point."

Moon thanks for making my day. I laughed so hard I almost peed myself!! :lol:
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Stu wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 3:29 pm
pelmut wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:35 pm There are many different combinations of chromosomes; for convenience of breeding, they are artificially classified into Male and Female.  Dividing intersex people into 'clearly' one or the other is absolute nonsense, it's like trying to classify colours into 'Black' or 'White'.
Most intersex people are either male or female.
They are not, they are intersex; that is what 'intersex' means.  The terms Male and Female do not apply, they are an artificial creation which people are forced into using because the correct options are not available to them.
A geneticist explained it to me as (subject to a very tiny number of exceptions) that being contingent upon the presence of a Y chromosome,
That is just a way of over-simplifying it for lay people who refuse to acknowledge the science because they would have to abandon the 'facts' they learned at infant school.  It would be just as valid to distinguish males and females by the clothes they wear -- contingent on the presence of a skirt.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Added 230613@09:17

From Hansard 12 June 2023
Olivia Blake
(Sheffield, Hallam) (Lab)

Absolutely. There is a risk in this House of us talking about GCSE biology rather than actually biology. The aneuploidies XXX occurs in one in 1,000 women, and XXY occurs in one in 500 men. These are very common biological differences that do complicate the matter—and those are not intersex individuals, to be clear.
Last edited by pelmut on Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

JeffB1959 wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:41 pm Reheating a fast food burger? EWWWW!
Eating a fast food burger at any temperature? EWWWW!
For the record, I am no vegetarian either and partial to a skirt steak now and again.
Steve.
Fries, with that?