Sightings "in the wild"

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Uncle Al

Re: Sightings "in the wild"

Post by Uncle Al »

(Preface - I'm posting this as a member, not as a Moderator.)

OK ScotL,

PLEASE Re-Read zjo's post.
zjo wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:55 amYesterday here in Tampere, Finland I saw a maybe 30 years old man in a black miniskirt and black shiny pantyhose. Never seen that before here I had to take another look and I was about to compliment him when he just rushed off with his electric scooter. <snip>
Your comments;
ScotL wrote:<snip> Regardless of this person’s gender, it an awesome post cause it raises such attention.
WHERE does zjo talk about GENDER or creating attention :?:
ScotL wrote:No matter what you say, someone on social media will be offended.
WHY MUST YOU ALWAYS POINT OUT A NEGATIVE :?:
ScotL wrote:Those who take greatest offense will be anonymous and are most likely just jealous.
It they are anonymous, how are "WE" to know they've taken offense :?:
ScotL wrote:If the person was male or non-binary, or at least appeared so to you and others, good exposure is awesome.
Where/When did zjo discuss 'binary' :?:
ScotL wrote:Curious though, you just posted your sighting or a picture?
Ambiguous :?:
On Skirt Cafe', a member may post BOTH, if so desired - and the 'subject' is willing to be photographed.
ScotL wrote:If just a sighting, it means even less that someone argued they may not identify as male
Who really cares how that person may 'identify' :?:

This whole experience boils down to the person was wearing a skirt, in public and showed no qualms about doing so.
Sightings "in the wild" is for Skirt Cafe' members to share what they've seen when going about their daily lives.

zjo is sharing the joy he felt, boosting his confidence, about seeing ANOTHER MALE IN A SKIRT :!:
Nothing more, nothing less :!:

Some of your comments may stem from a language translation as, per reading zjo's posts, English is not his first/native language.
Don't be naive in presuming all people will react the same as you. You are not the first person to experience this, nor will you be the last.

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Uncle Al wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 4:45 pm (Preface - I'm posting this as a member, not as a Moderator.)

OK ScotL,

PLEASE Re-Read zjo's post.
zjo wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:55 amYesterday here in Tampere, Finland I saw a maybe 30 years old man in a black miniskirt and black shiny pantyhose. Never seen that before here I had to take another look and I was about to compliment him when he just rushed off with his electric scooter. <snip>
Your comments;
ScotL wrote:<snip> Regardless of this person’s gender, it an awesome post cause it raises such attention.
WHERE does zjo talk about GENDER or creating attention :?:
Al, here is the part of zjo’s post that specifically mentions GENDER.

“I don’t know if he saw the post or ever will but my post has become one the most popular ones this week and reception has been 98% positive with the small exception of someone pointing out that I assumed his gender which was a fair point since I don’t know the persons own perception of their identity.”

This is taken verbatim from his post. I was specifically commenting on the “small exception” that “someone pointed out” that zjo “assumed his GENDER.”

You asked me to PLEASE Re-Read zjo’s post.

I did.

I quoted where he specifically talked about gender.

Am I really the one who needs to re-read his post?

Is there anything else you feel like saying to me about accusing me of not reading his post?

Also, he specifically stated he posted his observations to a different site called Jodel. I was simply asking if he posted just his observations or a picture on that website.

I find it ironic that you have reacted this badly to my post.

When I stated “Regardless of this person’s gender, it’s an awesome post cause it raises such attention” this is a positive response from me, absolutely not a negative. I wrote it’s an AWESOME POST. That’s a positive in my book. Do you not agree?? My thoughts on the attention this post brought flows from what I called an AWESOME POST because I think the (quoting again from zjo’s post) “98% positive” responses his post received is AWESOME.

Plus, here is the very first line of my post “Congratulations on going out as you!”. Is this not also a glowingly positive response? Can anyone tell me why this is considered a negative?

When I wrote “Those who take greatest offense will be anonymous and are most likely just jealous” I meant just that. Do you not agree that on social media the use of anonymous handles allows people to take great offense more that if you were listed by name and face? This is exactly what I mean.

I do not know if zjo is a native English speaker or not. All I know is I haven’t had any trouble reading his post.

Moving forward, I’d rather we ask each other to clarify and not accuse any member of being “naive” or accuse a member of “presuming” something until clarified. I believe that is the best option, in MY opinion.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

Uncle Al wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 4:45 pm (Preface - I'm posting this as a member, not as a Moderator.)
That's good...
zjo wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:55 amYesterday here in Tampere, Finland I saw a maybe 30 years old man in a black miniskirt...
ScotL wrote:Regardless of this person’s gender, it an awesome post cause it raises such attention.
Uncle Al wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 4:45 pmWHERE does zjo talk about GENDER or creating attention :?:
Erm...
zjo wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:55 am my post has become one the most popular ones this week ...
someone pointing out that I assumed his gender which was a fair point since I don’t know the persons own perception of their identity.
So it was zjo that mentioned both. His Jodel post created a lot of attention, and the issue of gender came up in the response to it.
Uncle Al wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 4:45 pm
ScotL wrote:No matter what you say, someone on social media will be offended.
WHY MUST YOU ALWAYS POINT OUT A NEGATIVE :?:
Erm...
zjo wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:55 am so I posted about his magnificent clothing choice to an appropriate Jodel channel ... reception has been 98% positive with the small exception...
So ScotL was responding to a point in zjo's post: it was zjo who mentioned the negative.
ScotL wrote:Those who take greatest offense will be anonymous and are most likely just jealous.
Uncle Al wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 4:45 pmIt they are anonymous, how are "WE" to know they've taken offense :?:
Because they post offended-sounding responses with capital letters in them? ;-)
ScotL wrote:If the person was male or non-binary, or at least appeared so to you and others, good exposure is awesome.
Uncle Al wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 4:45 pmWhere/When did zjo discuss 'binary' :?:
Well, he clearly mentioned uncertain gender identity (see above); I guess the person could have been trans rather than non-binary, in which case they are technically wearing a skirt while presenting as female, which is less awesome from a MIS point of view.
This whole experience boils down to the person was wearing a skirt, in public and showed no qualms about doing so.
...and when zjo posted about on a local social media forum, the response was mainly positive. As ScotL said "good exposure is awesome".
ScotL wrote:Curious though, you just posted your sighting or a picture?
Uncle Al wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 4:45 pmOn Skirt Cafe', a member may post BOTH, if so desired
Yes, but they were discussing a posting on Jodel, not on Skirt Cafe.

You can put your moderator's hat back on now, but be careful with it.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

My main qualm is why psychoanalyze every thing zjo posted.
zjo saw, to him, a MIS. He was pleased and happy. That made him
feel good about going out in a skirt. I'm happy for him :!:
I don't need a 'blow-by-blow' account of what was going on.
zjo saw a MIS, which made him happy and gave him confidence
to do it himself. Fantastic :!:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

This place is really going downhill. :(
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

FLbreezy wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:16 pmThis place is really going downhill. :(
This has been noted by the staff and is under active discussion for future action.

The context is now understood, and the "reference" to gender was tangential at best, and did not need to be harped upon, But, since guys in skirts are inherently "on the Spectrum", why the Hell not harp on it, We need to move beyond this nonsense.

I had a fun conversation with one of my (many) women acquaintances this afternoon and quietly asked her what she thought my "alignment" and sexuality was. She nailed that one right out of the gate because she's aware of some recent relationship failures (mainly in trying to light one) and knows (everybody else in the place knows as well as I "stick out of a crowd", so the test wasn't particularly valid).
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I admit I'm a little lost on the last few post of this thread.
crfriend wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:07 pm I had a fun conversation with one of my (many) women acquaintances this afternoon and quietly asked her what she thought my "alignment" and sexuality was. She nailed that one right out of the gate because she's aware of some recent relationship failures (mainly in trying to light one) and knows (everybody else in the place knows as well as I "stick out of a crowd", so the test wasn't particularly valid).
The closest thing I've got is sometimes someone asks me what my pronouns are. If they ask, I just say "he/his". Most of the time, people use masculine pronouns when referring to me, and now that you've seen me in the flesh Carl, I trust that you can vouch that indeed.. I carry myself "like a man", despite my penchant for fairy figurines. :lol:

But you know what I mean... I don't shake my butt when I walk, or skip around, or hike my voice they way many might expect. Any kind of femininity within me is mostly internal (my thoughts and so forth...) My mannerisms, euphemisms, and other characteristic traits are most definitely that of a southern redneck boy.... just ask anyone who's watched me sheer a bolt off a machine and bust my knuckles.... oh no... my inner redneck does come out!

... I just happen to cry at sappy movies, and I like pretty flowers, and I'm a pretty good homemaker.....

I'm a weird fella. :mrgreen:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Ozdelights
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ozdelights »

moonshadow wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:59 am I'm a weird fella. :mrgreen:
If so then I put my hand up as another. 8)
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Sorry Moon, you are not crowd of one! And there is a h..l of bunch of other men still stuck in their suits and jeans who share many of the same thoughts and feelings but have yet to find the courage to add a skirt in public --that is where SC comes in!
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

To bring this topic back on track: I'm not sure if it's quite 'in the wild" but in the current season of the Great British Sewing Bee one of the contestants, Matthew, is a man who wear skirts on occasion, and heels. He's a trained dancer so not exactly run of the mill, but he definitely presents as male. On the show itself no reference it made, and I haven't seen anything elsewhere in the press. Though I don't look at anti-social media so I wouldn't know if it was noticed there. They probably don't watch the sewing bee anyway :)
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

rode_kater wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:11 am To bring this topic back on track: I'm not sure if it's quite 'in the wild" but in the current season of the Great British Sewing Bee one of the contestants, Matthew, is a man who wear skirts on occasion, and heels. He's a trained dancer so not exactly run of the mill, but he definitely presents as male.
This could be fun! We both enjoy Sewing Bee and I just noticed that the new series started. We shall be catching up on iPlayer so I shall see what my wife says.
SkaterSkirtWearer

Post by SkaterSkirtWearer »

Just seen a chap in a blue kilt on Sheringham seafront. Looked very comfortable.
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

This morning outside London Bridge tube station a guy in various shades of grey including a check midi skirt with handkerchief hem.
Midas
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Midas »

Yesterday in the rain at a National Trust property in North Yorkshire I saw a raincoat clad man sporting what was clearly a denim skirt.
Brad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Brad »

It appears that the last several sightings were in England. Is there any conclusion to be drawn?