A deep curtsey!

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
BouffantBelle

A deep curtsey!

Post by BouffantBelle »

Hello, everyone!

I joined because on a whim, I googled "skirt forum", but I must confess, I have a hard time figuring out what this forum is actually all about.
Forgive my ignorance, but the Google description is only partially visible, and I can't find an "about" section anywhere. Am I just incredibly unobservant?
It seems that your (our?) members are majority men, and that's cool. I'm not here to judge anyone on their preferences, people enjoy what they enjoy. As long as no harm is being done, all fine by me.
Myself, I've had something of an obsession with skirts from a very young age, I recently rediscovered the delight of watching Ruska Roma skirt dancing, and it dredged up some long-forgotten memories from when my "fetish" (if that is the right word) first took root.
If i'm honest, I will say that I much prefer skirts on women. At least, the kind of skirts that appeal to me just accentuate women's femininity and make them that much more appealing, but the modern world being what it is, you'll be hard-pressed to find women that appreciate and adopt that classic style. And that's why I decided to expand my wardrobe in that direction myself, instead. I need more skirting in my life! :D
I only have a handful hanging in my wardrobe, but the ones I have are especially extravagant. I wouldn't class myself as CD, as I don't particularly want to appear feminine, it just seems that the only way I can savour the classic beauty of the skirts I enjoy is to wear them myself, if that makes sense?
Maybe I've come to the wrong place? :? Mods, feel free to delete this and notify me if that is the case. Otherwise, very pleased to meet everybody!

Belle
ScotL
Chatbot

Re: A deep curtsey!

Post by ScotL »

I think you can both like the way women look in skirts and like to wear them. Actually I know you can, because I do.

Welcome.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Hola BouffantBelle ;

First -- skirt about the forum a bit and you'll get a picture of "who we are"! A fairly broad spectrum of (mostly) men, most of whom wish and do present as men -- but like to wear skirts; and presumably to look at them too, regardless of the body wearing them. Some bodies flaunt their styles better than others and as most, not all by any means, here are just guys in skirts -- the ladies can still turn our heads! But the focus is on the issues men face in wearing skirts.

I'm sure you will find members who are well versed in almost any aspect of skirts you may wish to pursue; and certain open to hearing from yet another man wearing a skirt. So, read and join in with your thoughts, questions and observations. Sharing pictures is also a popular activity and it sounds like you may have some grand ones to share, hopefully along with the experiences you have had.
Fear i Sciorta Dubh

Post by Fear i Sciorta Dubh »

BouffantBelle wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:22 pm
If i'm honest, I will say that I much prefer skirts on women. At least, the kind of skirts that appeal to me just accentuate women's femininity and make them that much more appealing, but the modern world being what it is, you'll be hard-pressed to find women that appreciate and adopt that classic style. And that's why I decided to expand my wardrobe in that direction myself, instead. I need more skirting in my life! :D
I only have a handful hanging in my wardrobe, but the ones I have are especially extravagant. I wouldn't class myself as CD, as I don't particularly want to appear feminine, it just seems that the only way I can savour the classic beauty of the skirts I enjoy is to wear them myself, if that makes sense?
Not sure if the style of skirt you savour is the same as the ones I do but the rest of your description fits me to a tee!

I love straight pencil style skirts (especially black ones) and most of the skirts hanging in my wardrobe are of that type - of various lengths however from one mini skirt to midi, midaxi and maxi.

I’m a relatively recent member of the Skirt Cafe but welcome to you. I think you will like it here and fit in just fine
BouffantBelle

Post by BouffantBelle »

Many thanks for the welcomes! :)

@Fear i Sciorta Dubh (sorry, I'm having trouble figuring out how to quote, please bear with me) Yes, you're right. Our skirt preferences are poles apart, but your situation and outlook sounds very similar to mine.
Like you, I have no desire to share my skirting habits with the public, because a) they're for my enjoyment only, b) i'm under no illusions that my hairy behind can do my skirts the justice they deserve, and c) they're precious to me, and I would be beside myself if they suffered so much as a pulled thread. So I'll remain a closet skirter, very likely indefinitely. Sorry if that disappoints anyone.

It's great to be here! Browsing the forum has been a real eye opener already. I'm looking forward to chiming in! :D

Bell
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

BouffantBelle wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:49 pm Many thanks for the welcomes! :)

@Fear i Sciorta Dubh (sorry, I'm having trouble figuring out how to quote, please bear with me) Yes, you're right. Our skirt preferences are poles apart, but your situation and outlook sounds very similar to mine.
Like you, I have no desire to share my skirting habits with the public, because a) they're for my enjoyment only, b) i'm under no illusions that my hairy behind can do my skirts the justice they deserve, and c) they're precious to me, and I would be beside myself if they suffered so much as a pulled thread. So I'll remain a closet skirter, very likely indefinitely. Sorry if that disappoints anyone.

It's great to be here! Browsing the forum has been a real eye opener already. I'm looking forward to chiming in! :D

Bell

Welcome to the forums I'm Elisabetta Moon's wife. I'm sure he'll chime in to introduce himself and also welcome you to the forums. I'm probably the only female here on the forums currently but make no worries I'm very supportive.

To quote a reply click on the double '' should be next to an exclamation point.
"When life gets blurry adjust your focus."
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Elisabetta wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:06 pm

Bell

Welcome to the forums I'm Elisabetta Moon's wife. I'm sure he'll chime in to introduce himself and also welcome you to the forums. I'm probably the only female here on the forums currently but make no worries I'm very supportive.

I got to comment to BouffantBelle and to Elisabetta.

Welcome Bouffant!
Glad you found us! I think you will find that we(skirt Cafe)are or will be the perfect fit for you.

We are men and women, all ages,from all walks of life, and all stages of appreciation of skirts. From all over the world.
Really all you have to have is an interest in skirts to be here.

Here, most of us are men, there are a few supportive women.

I, like you, prefer women in skirts. But since they are not being worn by the women folk. I decided it would be such a shame if all these wonderful skirts went to the land fill.
Since 2015 I've rescued probably 60 skirts from certain destruction.
However I'm in a marriage with a wife that unfortunately can't comprehend why a male would want to wear any type of skirt. So very few will see the light of day again. I have them hidden in multiple places, in case she happen to go on the war path, that I won't loose the whole lot. That and we had the discussion that I would ultimately just replace them with more. So my skirt wearing is not in the closet, I feel more like I'm a underground skirter.
Situation stinks, but not much that can be done about it.
Sorry that's probably was way more than you want to know about my home life.

I've been wearing skirts periodically for the last 30 years now. This site (skirt cafe) has helped me a lot since I Found it back in 2015, I wish I would have found it much much sooner.
I have made friends here, found the encouragement and some support that I drastically needed and need.

This site showed me that men can wear skirts as men.
I had tried the whole Cross dressing thing. On a few occasions, but was totally uncomfortable with it to the point, one time I made myself sick to my stomach.

I look at skirts as being a very practical and comfortable garment, those are the ones I tend to get, pockets are always preferred. Typically more utilitarian ones.
I do have a few fun ones. You haven't lived if you haven't gone twirling around in a skirt a few times.

Again welcome

Now to comment on Elisabetta.

Girl we absolutely love you!!! I wish there were a million more like you. That can "understand" her man.

Moon you are a lucky man. You both stay awesome 😎
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

mishawakaskirt wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:03 am
Elisabetta wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:06 pm

Bell

I got to comment to BouffantBelle and to Elisabetta.

Welcome Bouffant!
Glad you found us! I think you will find that we(skirt Cafe)are or will be the perfect fit for you.

We are men and women, all ages,from all walks of life, and all stages of appreciation of skirts. From all over the world.
Really all you have to have is an interest in skirts to be here.

Here, most of us are men, there are a few supportive women.

I, like you, prefer women in skirts. But since they are not being worn by the women folk. I decided it would be such a shame if all these wonderful skirts went to the land fill.
Since 2015 I've rescued probably 60 skirts from certain destruction.
However I'm in a marriage with a wife that unfortunately can't comprehend why a male would want to wear any type of skirt. So very few will see the light of day again. I have them hidden in multiple places, in case she happen to go on the war path, that I won't loose the whole lot. That and we had the discussion that I would ultimately just replace them with more. So my skirt wearing is not in the closet, I feel more like I'm a underground skirter.
Sorry that's probably was way more than you want to know about my home life.

I've been wearing skirts periodically for the last 30 years now. This site (skirt cafe) has helped me a lot since I Found it back in 2015, I wish I would have found it much much sooner.
I have made friends here, found the encouragement and some support that I drastically needed and need.

This site showed me that men can wear skirts as men.
I had tried the whole Cross dressing thing. On a few occasions, but was totally uncomfortable with it to the point, one time I made myself sick to my stomach.

I look at skirts as being a very practical and comfortable garment, those are the ones I tend to get, pockets are always preferred. Typically more utilitarian ones.
I do have a few fun ones. You haven't lived if you haven't gone twirling around in a skirt a few times.

Again welcome

Now to comment on Elisabetta.

Girl we absolutely love you!!! I wish there were a million more like you. That can "understand" her man.

Moon you are a lucky man. You both stay awesome 😎
Thank you! Your comment made my day appreciate that and I feel the same about all of you!
"When life gets blurry adjust your focus."
BouffantBelle

Post by BouffantBelle »

mishawakaskirt wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:03 am Sorry that's probably was way more than you want to know about my home life.
Not at all. Thanks for sharing!

That sounds like a tricky situation, I'm sorry. I can’t really say I blame certain women for "not getting it" - I don't entirely know what it is I love about skirts myself, but I do know that embracing the softer image they give as a man is generally never going to be found attractive.

I only got serious about owning my own skirts after ending my last serious ltr a couple of years ago. I had to have a hard think about what I wanted in my personal life, and whether or not another relationship would make me truly happy. I decided to go all in with the skirts, instead.

The majority of today's women aren't just averse to dressing classicly feminine, I don't even think they know how. :| My ex gf was a typical live-in-jeans lady :roll: but she was at least open to wearing skirts. She had no idea where to start or what would look good on her! :o
I remember the first skirt I bought for her, a floaty little cotton thing with a muted rainbow leopard print. I couldn’t believe my eyes when she roughly seized it and manhandled over her bum like it was just another pair of jeans. Image Sure enough, she caught it on something and tore a huge hole in it in short order. And she never seemed to get much better with her skirts over the years. When I found the beautiful rustly taffeta circle skirt with built-in crinoline I bought for her had a big hole from a cigarette burn, I decided I was done wasting skirts on a heathen like her. :) luckily, things were getting strained between us by then anyway, so the relationship didn't last much longer after that. Now I can be sure any skirts I acquire will be treated right.

My strange obsession started from a very early age. I don't know what triggered it, but I've always been mesmerised by the way skirts move when worn and caressed by the breeze. I also associate them with security and comfort, so maybe some lady used her skirt to swaddle me as a baby or something, and it had a lasting effect? I have no memory if it if it happened, but I wouldn't be at all surprised.

When I was a wee lad, I found a very full apron in a pile of dumped clothes behind my family apartment block, and of course I claimed it and wore it in secret. :) I couldn't have been any more than 5, so it went right around me and down to the floor. I still remember how delicious it felt to me to wear that thing. Of course, my wonderful, understanding father caught me one day, beat my ass, and tossed it in the trash...and I rescued it again. :lol: I was never going to be without skirts from that point forward.

Sorry about the text wall folks, just a bit of back story for context. Chronological order is a bit messed up, but I hope it still makes sense! :D

Bell
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

mishawakaskirt wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:03 am
Your wife doesn’t like to wear skirts. Have you ever asked her why?

In all honesty, I feel your wife can’t understand why a man would want to wear a skirt as a man because she’s not a man. It’s a similar thought as to why a man can’t understand PMS. But she shouldn’t have to “understand” why men should want to wear skirts, she should only care if you want to wear them.

But it’s a complicated world and what makes rational sense does NOT rule the day.

It should be a no brainer to say “wear what you like.”

But the Royal “they” only really say that when arguing for a lesser dress code for formal events. I’ve heard women state they’re not wearing heels to a wedding cause they don’t want to and receive a boisterous reply in “yeah, wear what you like.”

But men traditionally have never cared much for fashion. So a man who starts to care will be labeled something like “metrosexual.” Because society doesn’t like change.

And a wife may worry what others will say about her man who wears a skirt. She cares about you but she is also worried about herself. “What will the neighbors say?”

I’m lucky to have my wife for many reasons but one is she accepts my decision to wear skirts. I may have worn her down with my decades long interest in wearing leggings or she’s just awesome. But one thing I learned is you have to make sure she realizes you put her above skirt wearing. I think it also helps to include her in the decision of what to wear. Like ask her opinion because you’re a newbie.

She may react poorly but just roll with it.

I feel she knows and accepts that this is you. But she may be secretly worried about what does it mean? Her mind may be scrolling through the three connotations that other people think about when they see MIS. Is he gay? Is he a cross dresser? Is he trans? All things that could negatively impact her marriage. This May be where she’s coming from but can’t say it. So instead she says “I can’t understand why a man wants to wear a skirt.”

Making your wife your first priority is always good advice. But especially when she’s possibly hurting because she doesn’t understand the “what’s it mean” question and not the “why do you want to” question.

NOTE: I wrote this as a positive, not critical post with the intention to help another member by sharing my opinions that I’ve learned from experience. My goal is only to share my experience in hopes of helping another.
BouffantBelle

Post by BouffantBelle »

ScotL wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:27 am
In all honesty, I feel your wife can’t understand why a man would want to wear a skirt as a man because she’s not a man.
I'm personally just as baffled as to why the average woman doesn't want to wear skirts. Image The ones that are, shall we say, a little on the "butch" side? Okay. When they have certain tasks and activities to carry out? Okay. But regular, everyday women?

It's like "trade in my comfortable, aesthetically pleasing garments for boringly functional, form-fitting body cladding with no inherent sensuality, romanticism or just plain fun? YES PLEASE!"

Truly baffling. Oh well, more for us. :mrgreen:
Offkilter69
Distinguished Member

Post by Offkilter69 »

The issue of women not understanding why men would want to wear skirts is complex. In a nutshell, I believe there is a deep-seated, unconscious mindset within the psyche of many females that males remain superior to females, and that to be “masculine” is more desirable than being “feminine”. Clothing is really only gendered on the female side since women and girls can wear just about anything from either side of the clothing aisle without facing judgement. They have endless choices but think it’s odd or wrong when males want to break free of their mundane, often uncomfortable and limited options.

Therefore, when a male dares to cross the line by wearing this “gendered” clothing, he is demeaning himself by embracing femininity as defined by said attire. Women do not realize that they are contributing to, and perpetuating sexism and inequality between the sexes when they scorn men for embracing something considered “female” oriented.

It’s been my experience that most women do not readily say “yes to the dress”. Many regard skirts and dresses to be the equivalent of the necktie for males. It don’t get it—never will. Their positives far outweigh the negatives.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Scotl.
Thank you for your comments.

Actually my wife wears skirts about 10 percent of the time. The rest of the time she is wearing jeans or shorts depending on weather conditions.

Trying to appear random I have asked her why she is wearing a skirt at times or wearing pants.
I usually get a because I felt like it or because I can.
I've pointed out that she gets to choose, however I don't get the option of choice, or having the right to feel like wearing a skirt.
Men's feelings are irrelevant. I've tossed just about every reason that I can think of and it gets me nowhere.
I even made the attempt to switch to kilts as a compromise.
She still insults the and refers to them as my "legal skirts"

Why waste money on kilts if she Is going to consider them a skirt anyway? I'd just assume buy more skirts with that money. It's ashame really, I bought my Grandmother's maiden names Tartan which is Wallace. Its still folded up in the plastic bag it came in. Worn for a total of 10 minutes if that.
Oh yeah I forgot, we don't live in Scotland nor I'm not Scottish enough to be eligible enough to wear a kilt according to her.

I've had multiple discussions with her that I'm not in the Gay, trans, questioning box. Nor will I ever be. I live by a strong moral code that tells me that would be going too far.
It doesn't help that in our circle friends, college classmates, friends families, we have seen at least 4 marriages end because one spouse decided to go for a gay relationship.
So it doesn't look good. Nor do my words apparently hold much worth. I have told her I am not them, and don't compare me to them.
So with that and other logical reason that a man should be able to wear skirts. I'm met with a resounding "NO"

BouffantBelle

I like wearing skirts they are comfortable. And suitable for a majority of tasks. Maby not a 100 percent but neither are trousers. Outside of work, I could do most every thing else in a skirt. Skirts for casual settings, skirts for formal settings , for leisure activities.
Heck yeah they are fun. I don't know why, but I always feel better, happier, freer when I am wearing a skirt.
I want the just plain fun. They don't change who I am, but they do improve my mood.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
Fear i Sciorta Dubh

Post by Fear i Sciorta Dubh »

mishawakaskirt wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:45 am
Trying to appear random I have asked her why she is wearing a skirt at times or wearing pants.
I usually get a because I felt like it or because I can.
I've pointed out that she gets to choose, however I don't get the option of choice, or having the right to feel like wearing a skirt.
Men's feelings are irrelevant. I've tossed just about every reason that I can think of and it gets me nowhere.
Hi Mishawakaskirt

Sorry to hear about your problems getting acceptance from your wife for your wearing of skirts.

Just a suggestion but have you tried showing her the Skirt Cafe forum so she can see you’re not alone and that there are thousands of signed up members most of whom are just like you, simply men who like to wear skirts.

Or even better show her the brilliant article posted just this week by Julia the wife of Alex (aka thebeskirtedman) which covers this exact subject

https://www.the-beskirted-man.com/
BouffantBelle

Post by BouffantBelle »

Fear i Sciorta Dubh wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:21 am
Or even better show her the brilliant article posted just this week by Julia the wife of Alex (aka thebeskirtedman) which covers this exact subject

https://www.the-beskirted-man.com/
Sheesh. Considering women have bagged up their "traditional femininity" and tossed it out with the trash, and considering any man who might lament that is a patriarchal misogynist who wants to control women, this article is dripping with hypocrisy. Shame comments aren't allowed. (not that I intend to be rude, just to say my piece.)

"(note that a woman putting on men’s clothing is not only acceptable thanks to the first wave of feminism but still somehow “adds” something to mere womanhood that has to do with the value our societies attribute to masculinity)"

No, dear. "Society" doesn't attribute that value, you do. Women dressing like men only "adds" something in your minds. Men were never on board with that cultural shift for the very same reasons the reverse now makes you so uncomfortable. We just weren't consulted.