Sightings "in the wild"

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Sightings "in the wild"

Post by greenboots »

Yesterday in Camberwell, a young man in long skirt part denim, part patterned fabrics with black jumper and long hair.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Leaving work I saw a man in a wheelchair who stood up btw wearing a kilt like skirt. Knocked me for a loop. I haven’t seen a guy in a skirt outside of Halloween ever and now in one week have seen two. I saw a lot of kilts on guys in the traditional or tourist way but these two I’ve seen weee t kilts.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

by ScotL » Thu May 18, 2023 4:28 am

Faldaguy wrote: ↑Wed May 17, 2023 11:50 pm

"I figure it gives them something to talk about". That was about it as I was stopped in the entry to the parking lot and he was clearly in route somewhere. My wife was with me, and as we departed the lot following his comment, she said "but you've taken it a lot further with your colors". Indeed, his attire was not flashy, but it was clearly a skirted man and not a bit of hesitation in his presenting or comfort in wearing it in public."
Your wife approved of your “colors?”

I’m sensing a slow shift towards accepting people as they dress. I know it’s not as fast as anyone wants and the naysayers will exclaim the sky is falling but in my opinion, it feels promising.

I think her comment was merely reflecting that though the chap we spotted said wearing a skirt gave people something to talk about, his visibility was low and he was not as likely to be noticed or comment worthy as I am in my 'colors' --which I do wear with some frequency, but I also wear my share of 'blah' skirts too. My wife is still somewhat attached to skirts that are more "masculine" but she not only obliges the colors, she sometimes offers or helps select things for me that are far from drab.

As to your sense of there being a growing acceptance of people as they dress -- I'd like to think so, but most of the time I think it just my own growing comfort in being skirted -- such as my equanimity with 'colors' as well as a denim or khaki skirt. I hope your version wins out!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

So last week, while on vacation and roaming around Massachusetts, my wife and I happened upon a tall striking man at a local pub in a skirt. We got to talking and apparently he's been wearing skirts for many years and runs some kind of website for guys that wear skirts. I found him intriguing. He was even nice enough to allow us to pose with him for a photo!
moon_liz_carl.JPG
He told us his name... what was it...?

Oh.. it was CARL! :lol:

We had a great lunch with our friend Carl, it was a pleasure meeting you in the real world! I hope to do it again sometime!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Fabulous picture of the three of you.

Carl - chapeau on your legwear colour. That’s a magnificent shade of purple / lilac. Glad too that you share my view that purple and green are a good colour match. I’ve got tights in that very colour.

Purple and green - just like a thistle! Had to say that, being a Scot!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Ray wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 2:28 pmFabulous picture of the three of you.
I was rather pleased with the result.
That’s a magnificent shade of purple / lilac. Glad too that you share my view that purple and green are a good colour match. I’ve got tights in that very colour.
Purple is a wonderful colour and too infrequently deployed by men. What didn't show is that I also had lilac nail varnish on that picked the purple of the skirt and legwear -- and the green of the shirt picks the green on the skirt. This was one of my most complex rigs yet, and it's nice to hear that I seem to have nailed it.
Purple and green - just like a thistle! Had to say that, being a Scot!
And I can be a very prickly one, as well.

But, most of all, the happy couple and I had a very nice chat over a decent meal!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

Not sure how I can follow that! (Y'all look great!)

A few weeks ago I was in Costco and saw not one but *two* guys wearing utility kilts, and they didn't seem to be in the same group. One was with his wife and young daughter, the other was on the other side of the warehouse. As it turns out I wasn't wearing a skirt that day, or there would have been a trifecta.
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

Just seen in Southen city centre a Chinese (?) man in pink floaty midi dress with burgundy cape/wrap and hair in a bun held in place with chopsticks. Didn’t see the shoes as I was driving.

(I stopped to enter this !)
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Another one this week! Retail therapy in my favorite skirt mecca -- Goodwill. Can't say I was thrilled, rather distressed actually, but a young chap, maybe 30 with a young woman. He was topless, shirt thrown over his shoulder, wearing a kilt, and packing not one, but two open carry pistols in hip holsters -- not exactly traditional Kilt accouterments.

I had just turned into the checkout line and a couple of ladies behind me engaged me in conversation, about my sandals, not my skirt -- and as the line wove around the corner I lost track of the guy. I looked for him when I got checked out, to no avail--inside the store or out. I had used the 'excuse' of having already entered the check out queue to postpone talking to him, but frankly his appearance and guns put me ill-at-ease, so I'm not sure yet what I would have done or said had I spotted him again. [This was the Goodwill in McMinnville, OR this afternoon about 4:00 pm]

Anyway, one more and a most unusual one at that. -- I wonder if they have security footage? Surely somebody got pics....
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Faldaguy wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 5:22 am Another one this week! Retail therapy in my favorite skirt mecca -- Goodwill. Can't say I was thrilled, rather distressed actually, but a young chap, maybe 30 with a young woman. He was topless, shirt thrown over his shoulder, wearing a kilt, and packing not one, but two open carry pistols in hip holsters -- not exactly traditional Kilt accouterments.
Would the guns be considered the modern day sgian-dubh? I’d be worried talking to him as well but I also imagine no one’s telling him he looks ridiculous. Which in my opinion, the only thing I’d take issue with is the look of walking around with guns in today’s day and age.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Faldaguy wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 5:22 am Another one this week! Retail therapy in my favorite skirt mecca -- Goodwill. Can't say I was thrilled, rather distressed actually, but a young chap, maybe 30 with a young woman. He was topless, shirt thrown over his shoulder, wearing a kilt, and packing not one, but two open carry pistols in hip holsters -- not exactly traditional Kilt accouterments.
Being a resident of a highly pro 2A area, I bet most here would expect me to write that I see this often. In fact, in my experience, while I do sometimes see folks open carrying a firearm, it's not really super common even around my parts.

But I would imagine that most people conceal carry. So I'd say that I'm in the presence of people packing heat more often than I realize. In fact, I've mulled over obtaining my CC a few times.

I'm not an anti-gun guy, so the sight of them doesn't really bother me much. Don't get me wrong, I'm not obsessed with guns, I only have one, and it was a gift, and it stays at home, hidden and locked away. So I'm not really a "gun guy" either. 2A is what it is, people have the right to have guns, and that just doesn't bother me. I don't think guns are the issue behind the increase in random acts of violence we've seen over the last decade. Guns have been around a lot longer than we've had this problem, so clearly, something else is going on.

I'd hazard a guess that we've probably touched on it a few times in other threads, but I'd say one of the major issues is the smaller and smaller emotional box that we allow boys and men to occupy. I personally experience this to a degree, and even write about it on my website: "It's not always easy knowing how to be a man in a world where being a man is something so clearly defined, and yet, paradoxically, so misunderstood. "

Anyway, back to your gun toting kilted warrior, honestly I've seen other guys in skirts on occasion, and I'd probably just treat him like I treat everyone else. I'd probably just leave him alone unless there was a reason for us to interact. Not because he has a gun, but because that's how I treat everyone.

If we were to make eye contact, I'd do the "southern thang", and nod my head and maybe utter a "how ya doin'" or "sup", and he'd likely return the kindness. He is probably not an "oooh I looove that skirt!" kinda guy... :lol:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

In my "opinion" Guns do not kill, Man kills. If I were to encounter this individual I would not be worried about the guns at all. I like Moon am not a gun guy. I have several guns and yes I do shoot them on occasion at my shooting range my SOL built on my property 2 years ago (he and my youngest grandson are competition shooters) and used it for practice while they were living with me.
I have a concealed gun carry license but seldom carry around town. I do not obsess over guns and do believe in the 2nd amendment to the US Constitution.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
zjo

Post by zjo »

Yesterday here in Tampere, Finland I saw a maybe 30 years old man in a black miniskirt and black shiny pantyhose. Never seen that before here I had to take another look and I was about to compliment him when he just rushed off with his electric scooter. I immediately became afraid I accidentally scared him which was the opposite of what I wanted, so I posted about his magnificent clothing choice to an appropriate Jodel channel. I don’t know if he saw the post or ever will but my post has become one the most popular ones this week and reception has been 98% positive with the small exception of someone pointing out that I assumed his gender which was a fair point since I don’t know the persons own perception of their identity.

On Tuesday I was out in a skirt myself for the first time ever 😊
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Nice thought Zjo to post the positive and so nice to get all the positive feedback. I suspect you did not scare him off as most of us here have discovered there is very little attention to paid to us -- so he was probably just going about his ordinary day.

Even better, you got out there today too! Maybe share a bit of that experience on Jodel and her at the SC --- I know, it gets kind of boring to hear the same ole refrain over and over, but I'm told it is helpful to the newbies and chaps with limited public exposure. Congratulations!
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

zjo wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:55 am Yesterday here in Tampere, Finland I saw a maybe 30 years old man in a black miniskirt and black shiny pantyhose. Never seen that before here I had to take another look and I was about to compliment him when he just rushed off with his electric scooter. I immediately became afraid I accidentally scared him which was the opposite of what I wanted, so I posted about his magnificent clothing choice to an appropriate Jodel channel. I don’t know if he saw the post or ever will but my post has become one the most popular ones this week and reception has been 98% positive with the small exception of someone pointing out that I assumed his gender which was a fair point since I don’t know the persons own perception of their identity.

On Tuesday I was out in a skirt myself for the first time ever 😊
Congratulations on going out as you!

Regardless of this person’s gender, it an awesome post cause it raises such attention. No matter what you say, someone on social media will be offended. Those who take greatest offense will be anonymous and are most likely just jealous.

If the person was male or non-binary, or at least appeared so to you and others, good exposure is awesome.

Curious though, you just posted your sighting or a picture? If just a sighting, it means even less that someone argued they may not identify as male