Skirtcraft wrap skirt on Kickstarter June 6th [2023]

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
finrod
Distinguished Member

Skirtcraft wrap skirt on Kickstarter June 6th [2023]

Post by finrod »

Hey friends, Skirtcraft's wrap skirt, the Tellurian, will be available for preorder on Kickstarter beginning Tuesday, June 6th.

It features large pockets, an adjustable waist, a greater overall size range (26-54 inches / 66-137 cm) than our two existing products, and is made in the USA of 100% organic cotton. The length is 21 inches / 53 cm.

waist tie detail:

front (colors: black and natural):

back:

unwrapped:

The built-in waist tie passes through a buttonhole-style hole in the waistband, through 2-3 belt loops (varies by size), and is secured with metal D-rings.

It’s an all-or-nothing crowdfunding campaign: if we reach the goal, production will begin and backers are expected to receive their skirts in August. Backers won’t be charged until the campaign ends, and won’t be charged at all if we don’t reach the goal. The campaign will run for about two weeks.

Backers get a discount: one skirt is $79 (USD) + shipping. Once the Kickstarter campaign ends, if it succeeds, the price will be $89 + shipping.

The campaign will begin at 9am Central US time (3pm Western European).

More info:
  • Kickstarter campaign (just a preview at the moment; it does have an option to request notification upon launch)
Feedback and questions welcome, of course!

Joe
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Skirtcraft wrap skirt on Kickstarter June 6th [2023]

Post by FLbreezy »

I'm really psyched for this! The design looks really good. I assume there will be a Kickstarter tier for us to get one of each color?
finrod
Distinguished Member

Post by finrod »

FLbreezy wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 5:41 pm I'm really psyched for this! The design looks really good. I assume there will be a Kickstarter tier for us to get one of each color?
Thank you! Yes, there will a $149 reward tier for 2 skirts as well as a $219 tier for 3 skirts (plus shipping in either case).
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

So how many need to be pre-ordered to have them made?
finrod
Distinguished Member

Post by finrod »

ScotL wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:20 am So how many need to be pre-ordered to have them made?
This might slightly change before launch, but right now I'm planning on a campaign goal amount of $5530. That's 70 skirts (slightly more if some backers are taking advantage of the two-skirt reward level's lower price per unit).
finrod
Distinguished Member

Post by finrod »

ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

First, let me thank you for doing what you do. Putting yourself out there financially to make unisex skirts with pockets is amazing.

Question on sizing. Love the fact that you can change the size so much but in my minimal skirt wearing experience, some skirts are better if tighter and others if looser. Not sure what this skirt will be. I think stretch means smaller is good. But just curious as to your thoughts
finrod
Distinguished Member

Post by finrod »

ScotL wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:52 pm First, let me thank you for doing what you do. Putting yourself out there financially to make unisex skirts with pockets is amazing.

Question on sizing. Love the fact that you can change the size so much but in my minimal skirt wearing experience, some skirts are better if tighter and others if looser. Not sure what this skirt will be. I think stretch means smaller is good. But just curious as to your thoughts
Thank you. :)

This skirt is cotton twill, so there's not a lot of stretch. You can adjust the waist by tightening/loosening the waist tie that passes through the pair of D-rings. With that, and with it having roughly an A-line amount of flare, it's pretty open to being worn however tightly you prefer.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

finrod wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:56 am This skirt is cotton twill, so there's not a lot of stretch. You can adjust the waist by tightening/loosening the waist tie that passes through the pair of D-rings. With that, and with it having roughly an A-line amount of flare, it's pretty open to being worn however tightly you prefer.
For the size ranges, if one is at the upper end of a size range (29") - would it better to get the next size up, and cinch it tighter? I'm not a big fan of wrap skirts that have a short overlap. I presume being at the top end of the range, it would have the least amount?
finrod
Distinguished Member

Post by finrod »

Coder wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:19 am For the size ranges, if one is at the upper end of a size range (29") - would it better to get the next size up, and cinch it tighter? I'm not a big fan of wrap skirts that have a short overlap. I presume being at the top end of the range, it would have the least amount?
The overlap ranges from roughly 1/3 of waist circumference to 1/2 - yes, with the lower end of that being when one is at the upper end of a size's range. It should be ok to pick the next size in that case.

I just wouldn't recommend going up a size if one is not close to the upper end of one's "default" size. One issue that could come up then is the front "flap" overlapping the right pocket. The worse one, though, is if one tries to tighten far enough beyond the designed range, eventually the entire tie will have passed through the hole in the waistband (see rear detail photo above) and the skirt can't be tightened further.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

finrod wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:56 am
Thank you. :)

This skirt is cotton twill, so there's not a lot of stretch. You can adjust the waist by tightening/loosening the waist tie that passes through the pair of D-rings. With that, and with it having roughly an A-line amount of flare, it's pretty open to being worn however tightly you prefer.
Thank you. I just like the way the skirt falls on the female model better than on the male model and feel like a bigger skirt will flare more. Not sure I know what I’m talking about though honestly.
finrod
Distinguished Member

Post by finrod »

ScotL wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:58 am Thank you. I just like the way the skirt falls on the female model better than on the male model and feel like a bigger skirt will flare more. Not sure I know what I’m talking about though honestly.
Oh gotcha, I see what you're saying! The model in the lighter skirt (who uses they/them pronouns I believe) is wearing the skirt at their natural waist while the male model is wearing it at his hips, where I think most men wear their jeans. Either way should work, it's just up to personal preference.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

finrod wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:11 pm
Oh gotcha, I see what you're saying! The model in the lighter skirt (who uses they/them pronouns I believe) is wearing the skirt at their natural waist while the male model is wearing it at his hips, where I think most men wear their jeans. Either way should work, it's just up to personal preference.
Excuse the naivety of my skirt wearing experience but are you telling me that wearing a skirt at the waist means less are than at the hips?
finrod
Distinguished Member

Post by finrod »

ScotL wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:07 pm Excuse the naivety of my skirt wearing experience but are you telling me that wearing a skirt at the waist means less are than at the hips?
Less flare? Hmm, I'm not sure. It does look like that with these models/photos - but I think it may depend also on the wearer's body shape.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

Looks really neat. Unfortunately, I have found that wrap skirts and cycling don't mix well. I'm looking for a way to deal with that (extra hidden button or something), but until then I have a moratorium on new wrap skirts.

With respect to the fit on the two models: if you're wearing it at your natural waist then you have a size smaller and the width of the skirt with respect to your hips is smaller. I'm guessing that explains the effect. Though it is kind of surprising it's so obvious. Of course, people are three-dimensional beings so the same skirt will simply look different on different people.

Good luck with the kickstarter!