Compliments

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
big_daddy_thong

Re: Compliments

Post by big_daddy_thong »

Today I wore a skirt to church as I did on Mother's day last week. I attend a catholic parish in Pittsburgh, just my impression is that it is very conservative in nature as far as clothing. Like most churches these day the unwritten dress code is business casual or leisure casual. Blazers, Golf shirts, dockers and cargo shorts in the warmer weather. But a skirt for a man is questionable fashion risk. My last outing on Mother's day I wore my new powder blue Adidas unisex skirt and got positive unexpected comments from a male church goer. This week I wore my new down to the knee olive green denim skirt and a gray polo. So all during mass I I happened to be on full display since I was asked to sub for a missing usher. After mass a dude in in late 50's asked me what I was wearing and that it looked comfortable. I said it was a skirt from Burlington Coat factory. He seemed interested in getting one for himself so I told him to go online and google mens skirts or unisex skirts. I told him that I have a few kilts but I wore them on more formal occasions.
Then another lady in the pew asked me what type of garment did I have on and asked me question about where did I go to buy it. She thought it was a cargo shorts from 1st glance. I told her it was a women's skirt. I went on to tell her I have been wearing skirts since last summer and wished I had started sooner. She said I have the tall frame to show off my legs and I carry it well.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Congratulations on winning over parts of the congregation. I fear the word conservative is often used as a label where it should not.

From my experience, I could see many conservatives having an open mind about a guy in a skirt at church.

Feel like at church you get a pass from other congregants because there’s this thought that only “decent” folks attend church. So you’re a decent chap who’s wearing a skirt. So you’re ok and the fact you’re wearing a skirt means it’s not weird but interesting. So people ask questions in a positive light.

I think it’s awesome.

Love Pittsburgh as well. Moved out years ago but the people were always genuinely nice and friendly. What part of town that parish from?
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Yes, congratulations big_daddy_thong on adding another venue to your in public skirting. I have 'attended' or called in upon folks in a number of churches over the years and never found them any different than other places; though I think Scott is probably on track with his observation. Church folks might also be inclined to 'forgive' as part of their mantra of 'love, kindness, and judge not..." sermons. I do take "issue" with you on one small detail:
by big_daddy_thong » Sun May 28, 2023 12:25 pm

Today I wore a skirt to church ....a lady in the pew asked me what type of garment did I have on and asked me question about where did I go to buy it. She thought it was a cargo shorts from 1st glance. I told her it was a women's skirt.
It is NOT a "woman's skirt -- it is "just a skirt"! :D

Underscore/bold emphasis to BDT's quote is mine, not part of the original.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

Church is one of my semi-safe spaces. I wore a black suede skirt to church this Sunday, just above the knee. I added a kilt belt with a big buckle and I guess some folks didn't notice it wasn't my black kilt.
jamie001
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamie001 »

This is some very good and unexpected news. I am quite surprised because the Catholic Church has made its stance on affirming the gender binary, rejecting non-binary gender identities, segregating men's and women's groups in the church (even Bible study), and rejecting LGBTQ.

I wonder what category they believe that you fit in? Maybe they are accepting of gender nonconfirming. Anyway it is good news and progress.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

jamie001 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 1:44 am This is some very good and unexpected news. I am quite surprised because the Catholic Church has made its stance on affirming the gender binary, rejecting non-binary gender identities, segregating men's and women's groups in the church (even Bible study), and rejecting LGBTQ.
I don't know about where you are, but here there is a yawning gap between what the Catholic Church says and what churches on the ground are actually doing. Every time the pope opens his mouth about this topic the churches around here mutter he should shut up. The protestants of course use it as an another example of the catholic church being behind the times.
jamie001
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamie001 »

rode_kater wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 7:44 am
jamie001 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 1:44 am This is some very good and unexpected news. I am quite surprised because the Catholic Church has made its stance on affirming the gender binary, rejecting non-binary gender identities, segregating men's and women's groups in the church (even Bible study), and rejecting LGBTQ.
I don't know about where you are, but here there is a yawning gap between what the Catholic Church says and what churches on the ground are actually doing. Every time the pope opens his mouth about this topic the churches around here mutter he should shut up. The protestants of course use it as an another example of the catholic church being behind the times.
Good point thanks.
big_daddy_thong

Post by big_daddy_thong »

I'm currently in Lexington KY for an over the weekend business trip. So since in Rome do the Bourbon trail of distilleries downtown. I wore a black denim Old Navy brand mini skirt. I went to several spots around the UK campus that featured beer and whiskey distilleries. I was alone but no big deal since I was on a business trip and I made new friends where ever I went. I happen upon a Goodwill store and bought to new skirts. One blue jean material and the other tan khaki mid thigh length skirt. I'm a fool for anytime I see a Goodwill shop and the opportunity to buy a new skirt is open. So anyway I proceed to the Bourbon spots near downtown Lexington and found lots of great places to eat and drink. When I was set to leave one of the folks at the bar commented on my skirt in a positive fashion. She and her boyfriend gave me the thumbs usp as I was leaving and said I love your outfit big guy. You wear it well!. Not only did this make my day it gave me extra confidence that wearing a skirt is normal, no matter what part of the country I happen to be in at the time.
SkirtedWalker

Post by SkirtedWalker »

Was wearing a Purple Rain dress with a long or short sleeve, button-up shirt over it. I wore my dress with a shirt over for 3 solid weeks, everyday, most all day, including 100% of my 9 drive days. This was a combo work and RV trip. I changed to “work clothes” when at the work site. During my trip, I received two compliments from women in the Flagstaff Whole Foods store, one RV park desk clerk said “Like the look”, and one solo lady in the same RV park asked where I got my skirt. It was an overall regular and positive experience.
Last edited by SkirtedWalker on Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

SkirtedWalker wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:41 pm Was wearing a Purple Rain dress with a long or short sleeve, button-up shirt over it. I wore my dress with a shirt over for 3 solid weeks, everyday, most all day, including 100% of my 9 drive days. This was a combo work and RV trip. I changed to “work clothes” when at the work site. During my trip, I received two compliments from women in the Flagstaff Whole Foods store, one RV park desk clerk said “Like the look”, and one solo lady in the same RV park asked where I got my skirt. Overall, it was an overall regular and positive experience.
That’s awesome! When you say button up shirt, you mean like an Oxford? With a dress you’d have to be untucked. I am asking because I’m trying to out together a mental image that one day I’d like to copy.
SkirtedWalker

Post by SkirtedWalker »

ScotL wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:11 pm That’s awesome! When you say button up shirt, you mean like an Oxford? With a dress you’d have to be untucked. I am asking because I’m trying to out together a mental image that one day I’d like to copy.
Shirts were either a Patagonia self-guided UPF hike shirt (long or short sleeved) or Patagonia long-sleeved sun-stretch shirt. The Purple Rain Dress is sleeveless.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

SkirtedWalker wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:24 pm
ScotL wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:11 pm That’s awesome! When you say button up shirt, you mean like an Oxford? With a dress you’d have to be untucked. I am asking because I’m trying to out together a mental image that one day I’d like to copy.
Shirts were either a Patagonia self-guided UPF hike shirt (long or short sleeved) or Patagonia long-sleeved sun-stretch shirt. The Purple Rain Dress is sleeveless.
Had to look up “Patagonia self-guided UPF hike shirt” and they look nice. Without actually seeing the look, seems like it’s a great look
SkirtedWalker

Post by SkirtedWalker »

Attached are a couple of selfie images from the recent trip. One is with a collared, button-down short-sleeved shirt over, and the other is with a short-sleeved t-shirt under. I like both configurations, but the t-shirt under get’s more stares and quiet observer discussions.
bikesaurus

Post by bikesaurus »

SkirtedWalker wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:14 pm Attached are a couple of selfie images from the recent trip. One is with a collared, button-down short-sleeved shirt over, and the other is with a short-sleeved t-shirt under. I like both configurations, but the t-shirt under get’s more stares and quiet observer discussions.
To me, I can barely tell you're wearing a dress under the collared shirt. At a distance, it almost just looks like blue shorts. Either way, both configurations look comfortable for a hike.
Last edited by denimini on Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed quote formatting
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

I prefer the shirt over look. I think the T-shirt would look more balanced if you rolled the skirt waist so it was lower down. Some women look fine with the high waist look but it does not seem to suit most men.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia