Memorial Day Weather

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Memorial Day Weather

Post by moonshadow »

There has been a stubborn storm system hovering right over southwest Virginia/northeast Tennessee virtually all weekend long. I started in around lunch time on Saturday and it hasn't stopped raining yet. And I don't mean mostly overcast drizzle with a few showers... no.. it's been a STEADY rain almost all weekend long.

What's funny is that as I back out of the local radar and look at the national situation, I see that virtually EVERYWHERE ELSE in the lower 48, it has been otherwise a beautiful three day weekend!

Not that I mind, I'm on call this weekend, and I believe the wet weather has helped keep things slow. It's also been nice and quiet around the 'hood all weekend long, I reckon due to people staying indoors.

Just the way I like it.... 8)

I think this is funny as hell. My advice to locals, if you don't want your three day weekend screwed up, don't put me on call. I tried to tell them I'm a "magick man", but they don't want to listen.... so, they gotta learn the hard way! :P
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Memorial Day Weather

Post by crfriend »

Moon, you are in the lower left corner on the visible satellite image I usually have up from GOES East, and it's looked miserable there since Friday, so I'm glad you're at peace with it. It's been glorious here so far, but I've been working all weekend, so haven't really had a chance to enjoy it. In fact it finally got warm enough for me to wear my minidress.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Here, I've experienced clear to partly cloudy skies.
No rain, that was last week. Slight breeze to no breeze at all.
Temperatures in the mid 80's F during the day, down to mid 60's F at night.
My A/C runs about 5-6 hours a day. Just waiting for it to get REAL HOT :sunny:
then summer is here :D

As a small reminder of what "Memorial Day" stands for to Americans,
Armed Forces Day JPG 2023-05-27.jpg
Bless all Military Families, around the world.
They sacrifice to keep their families safe :salut:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 3:31 pm Moon, you are in the lower left corner on the visible satellite image I usually have up from GOES East, and it's looked miserable there since Friday, so I'm glad you're at peace with it. It's been glorious here so far, but I've been working all weekend, so haven't really had a chance to enjoy it. In fact it finally got warm enough for me to wear my minidress.
I concur, it has been a ratty weekend, weather wise that is. It wouldn't have mattered to me either way, I would have been "on call" regardless. In fact, the rainy weather has probably contributed to this being an overall "slow" weekend work wise. It's been a good weekend to stay indoors and watch movies.

I can't wait to get to work tomorrow and hear everyone complain.... :lol:

What's funny is this storm system has pretty much stayed over our area. The entire nation has been mostly free and clear.
Uncle Al wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 4:24 pm My A/C runs about 5-6 hours a day. Just waiting for it to get REAL HOT :sunny:
I it has struggled to get out of the mid 60's here during the day, and it's a cold and clammy 60's, not a warm and balmy 60's. In fact, Liz was after me to turn the heat on yesterday, I resisted. But we have been walking around in long sleeve shirts, and my skirt is layered. I went out once yesterday for a few grocery items, I wore a hoodie and the defogger in the car was set to warm.

It's felt like an early April weekend, hardly the "unofficial start to summer".

Things literally get back to normal tomorrow, and for the rest of the week, the weather will be more seasonable and pleasant, with temps in the high 70's to low 80's and partly cloudy to mostly sunny conditions.

I go off call tomorrow morning.... just in time!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 4:44 pmI concur, it has been a ratty weekend, weather wise that is. It wouldn't have mattered to me either way, I would have been "on call" regardless. In fact, the rainy weather has probably contributed to this being an overall "slow" weekend work wise. It's been a good weekend to stay indoors and watch movies.
There's nowt wrong with hanging out at home watching movies.

I worked the whole bloody weekend, including time on the graveyard shift because I was getting called. (I "misplaced" my mobile last night so I could sleep. Why do I have to pay for the an electronic leash that my employer can -- and does -- yank any time of the day or night?)
That's always fun, too!
What's funny is this storm system has pretty much stayed over our area. The entire nation has been mostly free and clear.
You weren't alone. Every so often I gaze from the heavens (well, geosynchronous orbit) at Savannah, GA and it's been pretty ratty there too, and was part of the same system that was affecting you.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Well in my neck of the woods it has been cold and wet. With heavy rain and drizzle on and off for the past week. Some of it shows up on the radar some doesn't. As for the weather system in Savannah and the rest of the Southeast one of the big cruse liners suffered flooding and some severe damage coming into port off the coast of South Carolina this week end. The passengers were not a happy bunch and complained they were 9 hours late getting off the ship and some suffered injuries and or sickness. Many said the crew kept them in the dark as to the conditions of the storm and the ship.

But today it is sunny and bright outside and the temps are about the upper 60s F. They should be in the upper 70s and low to mid 80s F.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

I suppose it's comforting to think that Irish weather can prevail for a time in the mid US.

Here in contrast we've had a very dry and sunny 2nd half to May, with the forecast that it will continue and warm up into June. No great temps, though. High of 23 deg. for this afternoon. Pleasant.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

moonshadow wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 4:44 pm
crfriend wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 3:31 pm Moon, you are in the lower left corner on the visible satellite image I usually have up from GOES East, and it's looked miserable there since Friday, so I'm glad you're at peace with it. It's been glorious here so far, but I've been working all weekend, so haven't really had a chance to enjoy it. In fact it finally got warm enough for me to wear my minidress.
I concur, it has been a ratty weekend, weather wise that is. It wouldn't have mattered to me either way, I would have been "on call" regardless. In fact, the rainy weather has probably contributed to this being an overall "slow" weekend work wise. It's been a good weekend to stay indoors and watch movies.

Uncle Al wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 4:24 pm My A/C runs about 5-6 hours a day. Just waiting for it to get REAL HOT :sunny:
I it has struggled to get out of the mid 60's here during the day, and it's a cold and clammy 60's, not a warm and balmy 60's. In fact, Liz was after me to turn the heat on yesterday, I resisted. But we have been walking around in long sleeve shirts, and my skirt is layered. I went out once yesterday for a few grocery items, I wore a hoodie and the defogger in the car was set to warm.

It's felt like an early April weekend, hardly the "unofficial start to summer".

Things literally get back to normal tomorrow, and for the rest of the week, the weather will be more seasonable and pleasant, with temps in the high 70's to low 80's and partly cloudy to mostly sunny conditions.

I go off call tomorrow morning.... just in time!
I wasn't after you simply asked if the heat could be turned on because of my CRPS.
"When life gets blurry adjust your focus."