Skirt shorts, skirt pants

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Skirt shorts, skirt pants

Post by Coder »

https://www.frankdebourge.com/products/ ... rrency=USD

https://www.frankdebourge.com/products/ ... eq=uniform

Let’s ignore the high price for a moment - here’s an interesting take on a pair of bottoms. Really big flowy leg tubes, skirt-like when standing, but an inseam (a short one on the shorts). Yes - these are a compromise - but at the same time another designer experimenting with something different, and slowly approaching a price point we mortals can afford.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Skirt shorts, skirt pants

Post by Coder »

Obviously, I’m not suggesting anyone here buy these monstrosities! However, I like to point out these items as they pop up to get a feeling for what high fashion brands are experimenting with. We’ll never know the number of guys who buy an item with “skirt” in the product name - but it feels like a safe first step for them. Add the word skirt to an otherwise short/pant garment, and they may get comfortable enough that they’d take the next step. Someone buying these would obviously have enough money that a Thome Brown skirt suit or some of the other pricey retailers men’s skirts would be within their budget. I think expecting the majority of guys to cross the aisle is inconceivable, so we do need retailers to help push this change.

Frankly, I saw someone in downtown Houston the other day who could have been wearing a black skirt shorts - though they likely cost a fraction of these. I don’t see why the leap from “really baggy shorts” to “skirt” is such a leap.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Featuring a drop crotch too, a particularly nasty affliction that requires hospitalisation.
I suppose the wind can have but a limited affect, but to me it is like hobbling a horse restricting free movement. Wearing a flowy skirt in the wind is quite exhillarating, like taming a wild brumby (I imagine).
Coder wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 12:08 pm - but it feels like a safe first step for them.
Yes, the second step could be putting both legs into one tube as there seems to be enough room.

I must confess that I purchased skirt shorts the other day from an Op-shop, thinking that it was a flowy, skater style, mini skirt. I only realised when I got home and was disappointed but thankfully it was just a few dollars.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

denimini wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 12:40 pm I must confess that I purchased skirt shorts the other day from an Op-shop, thinking that it was a flowy, skater style, mini skirt. I only realised when I got home and was disappointed but thankfully it was just a few dollars.
Could you not just remedy the situation with a little snip snip? I suppose there would need to be some sewing involved afterwards.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

denimini wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 12:40 pm Yes, the second step could be putting both legs into one tube as there seems to be enough room.
Now that you mention this - it would be one way around restrictive dress codes. Simply buy a pair of XXL shorts, use just one tube, and let the other one hang free. Technically, you’d be conforming to the requirements - say wearing shorts - but also not. I bet the extra leg could be folded over in such a way to make a wrap-front skirt. Add a kilt pin, and boom! Kilt-shorts! (I’m chuckling at the idea of making this abomination)
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Just catching up, reading the Cafe'.
My thoughts on the "articles of clothing" are :puker:
I guess it would take some 'celebrity', with money out the WaZoo,
to actually purchase and wear these monstrosities. They could be
copied and made affordable, but . . . . WHY :?:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Coder wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 12:08 pm I don’t see why the leap from “really baggy shorts” to “skirt” is such a leap.
Ah but Coder, we are the enlightened ones, there is no "leap"!
Let's say we re-branded these things as "Biskirts", your average guy would flee from them.
Some of the adventurers out there might try them but graduation to real skirts is unlikely.
Introduce a plaid pleated version and call them Bikilts.
A bifurcated version of an honest to goodness accepted skirt for men, who couldn't be happy to re-mortgage their house to obtain such a garment.
Book me into the insanatorium now.
Steve.
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

Baggy shorts like those have been around for quite some time.
I remember seeing guys wearing swim shorts with legs that are 3/4 length or if it was a skirt would be Midi or Tea length, why?
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

phathack wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 12:53 am Baggy shorts like those have been around for quite some time.
I remember seeing guys wearing swim shorts with legs that are 3/4 length or if it was a skirt would be Midi or Tea length, why?
I was sorta wondering the same - I don’t really see how these are that much different, but they do have a short inseam but long leg length.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

phathack wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 12:53 amBaggy shorts like those have been around for quite some time.
Very wide flared shorts/knee-length pants were popular for a few years with girls and young women in the late 1970s and early '80s, then fell out of favour. In these here parts, they were commonly referred to as "gouchos".

In the '80s, the very long and full "palazzo pants" came to the fore, and can be remarkably attractive -- and comfortable. (I have several pair, all of which get mileage.)
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Reminds me of womens culottes.
BouffantBelle

Post by BouffantBelle »

Can't really say I'm a fan of these halfway-house type garments. But I am all for them going mainstream and becoming commonplace, especially the type in the second link, which is virtually indistinguishable from a skirt at first glance.

Makes it a whole lot easier to stealth the Real McCoy out there. :mrgreen:
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Skirt shorts, skirt pants. The first baby step towards MIS-a garment with a skirt like silhouette, but definitely not a skirt.

I would guess that most men who try this would stop there.

The next baby would have a skirt like silhouette, but be a bit more ambiguous-skorts.