Must Read Alaska: Alaska Airlines will allow male flight attendants to wear skirts and beards

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Must Read Alaska: Alaska Airlines will allow male flight attendants to wear skirts and beards

Post by rode_kater »

ScotL wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 4:17 am Do we have a sense of how many years it took for women to go from “being arrested for wearing pants” to “being acceptable to wear pants?”
According to this article, laws against it (in America) were introduced in the 1860's. They were abandoned in the 1920's but general acceptance wasn't till the 1960's. That's depressing, because if we follow the same timeline it will take another 100 years for general acceptance.

I can't find references outside America though (except ofcourse modern theocratic regimes). Historically speaking, women here in NL were wearing trousers before the romans came. The idea that women can only wear dresses is based on them not working. Yet women here have always worked on the farm with the rest of the family.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Must Read Alaska: Alaska Airlines will allow male flight attendants to wear skirts and beards

Post by Coder »

rode_kater wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 7:25 am According to this article, laws against it (in America) were introduced in the 1860's. They were abandoned in the 1920's but general acceptance wasn't till the 1960's. That's depressing, because if we follow the same timeline it will take another 100 years for general acceptance.
But it feels like there's some level of acceptance already. It's not general - issues with family, spouses - but retailers and news stories are moving forward. I think we need more retailers on board before we see general acceptance, and that could happen quickly with the right event. I believe we need some "event" to spur a mass awakening - whether this is a movie, some injustice that moves the world (or nation), or a viral video of someone changing the fan speed in their house (see other thread :D). While I don't put a lot of stock/faith in influencers or virality, I do think it's an avenue for change. But at the moment - in my neck of the woods - I'm wearing skirts and so far no problems...
rode_kater wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 7:25 am The idea that women can only wear dresses is based on them not working. Yet women here have always worked on the farm with the rest of the family.
Though you will see trad's promoting farm life with the women working the farm wearing dresses. Heck, if you've ever seen Mountain Men (US reality tv show about people who live off the grid), on one of the ranches the wife wears skirts over leggings or pants when working on the farm. I know... reality tv... don't need to say more. But people will find a way to wear dresses/skirts and do hard labor if so inclined.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Coder wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 1:11 pm But it feels like there's some level of acceptance already. It's not general - issues with family, spouses - but retailers and news stories are moving forward. I think we need more retailers on board before we see general acceptance, and that could happen quickly with the right event.
The right event or the right state of mind or how it is perceived by others.
I had an interesting conversation with mu son (9) on the subject. He said; (no quotes)
David likes it when you wear skirts to school.
What did you say?
So do I. Then he said. If he likes skirts , I should have said why don't you wear one? But I know he won't.
When asked why not he said; everyone will say:
"You're a girl!"
Boys perception of girls at that age is:
1. They cry alot
2. They are scared of insects
3. They don't like playing a bit rough
4. They don't take many chances
So it's not a good look for boys to be seen as emulating girls.

As soon as you start emulating women you are entering a whole new realm. You can't even say "yes but I identify as a man, while secretly emulating women. People are not stupid they will spot it and back off. You have to be a man in your head, even a man with a feminine side. Do that and you can pretty much wear what you want and get accepted.

Unfortunately there's a whole middle ground which society is working through now.

If acceptance is to be achieved then it has to be done by men in their own right. Check the guy in GFU"s thread "the beskirted man". The guys looks cool and masculine. It's the way to go IMO.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Barleymower wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 4:57 am If acceptance is to be achieved then it has to be done by men in their own right. Check the guy in GFU"s thread "the beskirted man". The guys looks cool and masculine. It's the way to go IMO.
BM
The ONLY way in my less than humble opinion.
Room for all freestylers and creatives but no watered down make believe man skirts or dresses.
I'm a guy, I choose how I cover my body so get over it and on with your own life.
There is a lot of good reading in that piece.
Steve.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

STEVIE wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 5:25 am
Barleymower wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 4:57 am If acceptance is to be achieved then it has to be done by men in their own right. Check the guy in GFU"s thread "the beskirted man". The guys looks cool and masculine. It's the way to go IMO.
BM
The ONLY way in my less than humble opinion.
Room for all freestylers and creatives but no watered down make believe man skirts or dresses.
I'm a guy, I choose how I cover my body so get over it and on with your own life.
There is a lot of good reading in that piece.
Steve.
Then we are caught by catch 22. The majority of men who can bring this about and want to bring this about are denied by circumstance inhererent in the problem. That is If they go for it they will be labelled (in their own mind, at least). Life has enough toil and stress without adding fuel to fire. So they look, think 'no' and walk away. I was that boy/man for many years.
The good news and in my EVEN LESS humble opinion, it will happen. There is drive, momentum out there for change. The momentum needs to build through people like us to reach a tipping point. Let the flood gates open :)

catch-22. : a problematic situation for which the only solution is denied by a circumstance inherent in the problem or by a rule.