Board index help

Discuss recent changes, make suggestions, etc.
Offkilter69
Distinguished Member

Board index help

Post by Offkilter69 »

My board index on my iPhone is no longer showing recent posts, just the general topics. For the life of me I can’t figure out what setting got messed up. Help!
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Board index help

Post by crfriend »

Did you get accidentally logged off? If so, the board cannot know what your history looks like.

At least that's where I'd start looking.

If that doesn't work, try clearing the browser cache and deleting the SkirtCafe cookies.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Offkilter69
Distinguished Member

Post by Offkilter69 »

Still no dice- cache cleared, logged out and back in numerous times. It works on my iPad, though.

???
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Offkilter69 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 8:12 pmStill no dice- cache cleared, logged out and back in numerous times. It works on my iPad, though.
Hmm... Two separate and discrete views. Just out of curiosity, try swapping the primary to the secondary over time and see if it tracks one or the other. I use but a single access mechanism, and thus cannot reproduce the effect.
Offkilter69
Distinguished Member

Post by Offkilter69 »

I’m still looking for a solution to my board index problem on my iPhone. I’m logged in but only see the topics with no recent posts listed. There’s got to be a simple solution to this. Cache is cleared, cookies deleted. Any iPhone savvy, website gurus on the forum?
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

The site is responsive - so if you have a narrow screen, the "Last post" column will not show - try looking at the page with your iPhone horizontally. If I'm misunderstanding the issue, let me know.
Offkilter69
Distinguished Member

Post by Offkilter69 »

Coder wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 4:35 pm The site is responsive - so if you have a narrow screen, the "Last post" column will not show - try looking at the page with your iPhone horizontally. If I'm misunderstanding the issue, let me know.
I have tried viewing it horizontally. This is perplexing because it works fine on my iPad and used to work fine on my iPhone. What the hey?!
This is my view:
IMG_8535.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Offkilter69 wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 12:34 pm I have tried viewing it horizontally. This is perplexing because it works fine on my iPad and used to work fine on my iPhone. What the hey?!
This is my view:
What does it look like horizontally (screenshot?)?
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Also - if you've adjusted your Safari page zoom setting, that will cause recent posts to be hidden when horizontal.

Settings > Safari > Page Zoom
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Thanks for stepping into the fray, Coder. I'm a back-office computer-room guy, you seem to be more customer-facing than I and have more familiarity with the "end-user interface" than I do. I dwell in the world of the command-line, sometimes on "dumb terminals" or even teleprinters.
Offkilter69
Distinguished Member

Post by Offkilter69 »

Thanks Coder! The safari zoom setting was the issue. I had to adjust it to 85% to view the entire page (only horizontally) which seems odd, but at least the board index page is no longer cut off. I’m still perplexed as to why it became an issue out of the blue. I don’t remember adjusting anything, at least in regard to safari, and it was working prior.

If you have any other points of wisdom in regard to this, please don’t hesitate to pass it along.

Thanks again!
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Offkilter69 wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 7:19 pm Thanks Coder! The safari zoom setting was the issue. I had to adjust it to 85% to view the entire page (only horizontally) which seems odd, but at least the board index page is no longer cut off. I’m still perplexed as to why it became an issue out of the blue. I don’t remember adjusting anything, at least in regard to safari, and it was working prior.

If you have any other points of wisdom in regard to this, please don’t hesitate to pass it along.

Thanks again!
Glad to hear that did it!

Initially I was thinking it was a font size setting or accessibility setting - but when I tried changing some things on my iPhone, they didn’t effect it. I suppose if you changed any of those there might be a combination that causes it to display or calculate the pixel density differently. You could try Chrome, but I think it still uses Webkit under the hood.

It could also be the screen resolution of your phone - is it an older model?
Last edited by Coder on Sun May 14, 2023 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Offkilter69
Distinguished Member

Post by Offkilter69 »

Coder wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 7:31 pm
It could also be the screen resolution of your phone - is it an older model?
It’s actually a 14. Just got it a few weeks ago. Maybe I inadvertently messed up something trying to maximize readability for my aging eyes😄.