Vicarious Skirting

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Offkilter69
Distinguished Member

Vicarious Skirting

Post by Offkilter69 »

Does anyone relate to living vicariously through a spouse or significant other in regard to fashion purchases? My SO and I have very similar tastes in women’s fashion, which makes it very easy for me to buy her clothes and even boots. Fortunately for me, she likes to wear skirts and dresses frequently, of which she rocks very well. My problem is that while I love to see her in skirted outfits, I am also jealous at the same time—wanting to wear them too. Secretly, I also own about twelve skirts and skorts that are part of her wardrobe— some that I’ve bought for both of us, and some I’ve duplicated for myself. I realize that I need to come clean on my desire to wear skirts in addition to the kilts that I regularly wear. We’ll hit ten years together this year, so I’m hoping that she’ll at least accept some limited skirt wearing since she has accepted the kilts. My goal is to broach this topic with her sometime this year.

I usually prefer “safe”, male-associated colors and styles for my skirt collection- denim, cargo, and hiking skirts. I do own a handful of more “feminine” skirts that will likely never be seen by anyone else (mainly leather skirts), but these skirts are ones that I enjoy vicariously through her. Recently I found myself drawn to a cute (I never thought I would use that adjective to describe clothing) pink floral skort at my local Sam’s Club. Well, after much debate, I had to have it—for her and me. This skort is definitely not my usual style - for its coloring and pattern plus a lack of pockets. BUT, the price was right ($14) and it’s “fun”, so I ordered two of them online, and later bought smaller sizes in-store since its stretchy material makes it feel bigger than its measurements. The surprising bonus is that Sam’s issued a full refund without requesting the ordered skorts to be shipped back! How’s that for customer service?! For a skort it is very comfortable--not restricting in the least or too tight in the shorts. It’s obviously not practical for me for multiple reasons, but just owning it makes me happy, so what the hay!

Something so benign as fashion freedom for all should not cause the angst that it does.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Offkilter69 on Thu May 04, 2023 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Vicarious Skirting

Post by Barleymower »

This is how I came back to skirts. Long story short, I was buying my daughter all the skirts I wanted and was insanely jealous!
I dont think she will appreciate being kept in the dark for so long. Why not (and this may hurt) get rid of the skirt collection and start fresh with a little white lie? The lie being that you want to try something nicer than just kilts.

The come clean at a later date.. :D

Nice btw.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

I was at the jealous stage long before I ever had a partner.
I see it as having been "skirt envy", the freedom that girls took for granted that I could only dream of.
Having sisters and subsequently girlfriends then a wife and kids never made that easier.
Being a Scot and with that experience, the Kilt didn't cut it and a kilted skirt is just a cop out.
Offkilter69 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 2:39 pm Something so benign as fashion freedom for all should not cause the angst that it does.
It isn't fashion freedom which causes the problem, it is damnably stupid human beings who won't remove their blinkers and do some real thinking.
Anyhow, I can skirt for myself now and will enjoy it to the maximum too.
Steve.
Offkilter69
Distinguished Member

Post by Offkilter69 »

Barleymower wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 2:49 pm
I dont think she will appreciate being kept in the dark for so long. Why not (and this may hurt) get rid of the skirt collection and start fresh with a little white lie? The lie being that you want to try something nicer than just kilts.

The come clean at a later date.. :D

Nice btw.
A negative reaction to being kept in the dark is definitely a possibility, but early in our relationship I doubt she could have handled a “skirted man”. She still may not be able to accept it, but the odds are better after years of being a couple and five years of kilting, something she didn’t particularly like at first (and really still doesn’t). Damned if you do, damned if you don’t. I think I would rather come completely clean sooner than later and face the possible music than continue to live a lie of omission. I’ve made it clear that I feel men’s fashion is relatively boring, and double standards abound between the sexes in regard to “crossing the aisle”. It probably won’t be a great shock. Plus, I do not want to purge my skirts!
Offkilter69
Distinguished Member

Post by Offkilter69 »

STEVIE wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 7:34 pm
It isn't fashion freedom which causes the problem, it is damnably stupid human beings who won't remove their blinkers and do some real thinking.
Anyhow, I can skirt for myself now and will enjoy it to the maximum too.
Steve.
Amen to that! I admire and am happy for any skirted dude who has the courage and fortitude to go against the harsh grain of society and be his own man. The so-called manly men don’t have the balls to need the freedom of a skirt! May I get there someday!
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Best to come clean but perhaps not all at once? Slowly but surely start wearing more skirt like stuff. The adidas skirt is kilt like. I’ve ordered two handmade linen kilts from cozy blue. They’re technically a kilt but look really skirt like. I can foresee you wearing once, her wondering if it’s a skirt out loud and you showing her the kilt properties eg aprons.
Offkilter69
Distinguished Member

Post by Offkilter69 »

ScotL wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 3:13 am Best to come clean but perhaps not all at once? Slowly but surely start wearing more skirt like stuff. The adidas skirt is kilt like. I’ve ordered two handmade linen kilts from cozy blue. They’re technically a kilt but look really skirt like. I can foresee you wearing once, her wondering if it’s a skirt out loud and you showing her the kilt properties eg aprons.
I've been wearing the discontinued Mountain Hardwear Elkommando Kilts for several years. They’re very skirt-like— my go-to at home relaxation kilts. They are lightweight and very comfortable with a more straight skirt cut with back pleats. I have the original denim Skirtcraft skirt as well, which will likely be the introductory skirt since it’s “unisex”. I’m leery of linen due to its high propensity for wrinkling. How do your Cozy Blue kilts fair? How did you introduce your skirts to your family? Judging from your posts it sounds like they are cool with it now, but was that always the case?
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

I jumped in with both feet and told my wife at the start. At first she was against the idea and for a few months there were some problems. Now outwardly she is on board but still doesn't like to discuss it.

I went straight out there in a skirt and in some respects it's a test every time I do it. There's a gulf between a nice flowing skirt and what is seen as a kilt.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

I think that Barleymower is on the right track except that you could probably get away with keeping the skirts you have. I suggest when shopping for clothing mention that you are so envious of her having more choice of clothing and in particular you would love the option of wearing a skirt ............ and hope for "Oh, you should be able to, why don't you buy one" ................. and every one lived happily ever after.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Ozdelights
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ozdelights »

denimini wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 11:53 am I suggest when shopping for clothing mention that you are so envious of her having more choice of clothing and in particular you would love the option of wearing a skirt ............ and hope for "Oh, you should be able to, why don't you buy one" ................. and every one lived happily ever after.
Now wouldn't that be a great outcome.

"Vicarious Skirting" I know I am more observant of skirts in the world around me, often thinking 'how would that look on me?"
Brad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Brad »

I see it as having been "skirt envy", the freedom that girls took for granted that I could only dream of.
Ironically I know many females who were required to wear skirts to school or work and hated it. They envied the males for wearing pants.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Brad wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 7:31 pm
Ironically I know many females who were required to wear skirts to school or work and hated it. They envied the males for wearing pants.
I've heard that from several women. And guess what? I empathize with them in a way. I think whenever you force a certain dress standard on people (be they kids, teens, adults, etc...) there can be pushback if the individual doesn't jive with said attire.
Last edited by Uncle Al on Fri May 05, 2023 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Offkilter69
Distinguished Member

Post by Offkilter69 »

It does work both ways. No one should be forced to wear something or indirectly forced not to wear something.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Offkilter69 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 4:44 am
I’m leery of linen due to its high propensity for wrinkling. How do your Cozy Blue kilts fair? How did you introduce your skirts to your family? Judging from your posts it sounds like they are cool with it now, but was that always the case?
Linen wrinkles. Can’t say otherwise. The wrinkles gives it a harder edge than a perfectly ironed kilt. Makes it appear less formal, more casual. And in my opinion, less preppy, more masculine. Just my opinion, I know others will disagree with that statement but opinions are neither right nor wrong.

I wore kilts hiking in Scotland and to an awareness thing. Just started wearing them more and more at home. The started trying skirts. Natural evolution. I never made any announcements or decrees. Just did it slowly. At my speed. Never wanted to appear nervous as if I was doing something wrong. And in my opinion, that comes from being comfortable first and then stepping out more and more. One must push the envelope, but at their speed. I find kilts to be the appropriate medium to assist a man in stepping out since technically it’s a man’s garment. The linen kilts are just a tad non traditional (but wonderful) and provide that small push of the envelope.

Helps to be out with your wife. I’ll post an adventure under my thread later, but I’ve been at a resort all weekend and so far have been Kiltes except for the first night due to being late. Has been a great experience
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Offkilter69 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 9:34 pm
It does work both ways. No one should be forced to wear something or indirectly forced not to wear something.

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

I think I am fortunate that me and my wife's clothing tastes are different enough I don't want to wear her clothes. With the exception of two of her skirts I really like. I wish I could wear.
One she is two sizes larger than me. And two, years ago we were having a discussion about my skirt wearing. And I assured her that I would not wear her skirts, clothes. And didn't want me too.
I respect that and have no problem with doing that. I don't need to borrow, or steal her stuff.

I haven't admitted it to her, but I am almost certain I have more skirts than she does.

My wife wife doesn't understand why I would want to wear skirts, she sees them as inferior to trousers.
Ive tried to explain why I like them, but I don't think she fully understands it. There is a time and place for both, I just want to have the opportunity to have both in my closet.

I do go about seeing women and think to my self. I'd wear that or nope not a chance.

Skirt s are one of those things you got to wear First hand and not vicariously to fully enjoy them. That's like looking at travel magazines and then saying I really enjoyed my vacation.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.