Tennessee Senate Bill 3

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Tennessee Senate Bill 3

Post by moonshadow »

You know what Coder.... I'm glad you posted that... these last several months I was comparing our situation to the plight of transwomen and drag queens, but this rascal just comes right out and says that men in skirts ought to be able to be flat out banned.

Buddy.. that hit close to home.... that got my red right up.

You want my skirt Benny...? Come and take it buddy. Come on down, Russell County Virginia... ask around.... many know where to find me. I'll be waiting buddy.... come on up here and take it...

And to think I was starting to lose my nerve... that boy lit a fire under me. Ain't NOBODY gonna sit here and tell me what I'm allowed to wear, many have tried ALL have failed.

I'm getting tired of this sh!t.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:54 pmAnd to think I was starting to lose my nerve... that boy lit a fire under me. Ain't NOBODY gonna sit here and tell me what I'm allowed to wear, many have tried ALL have failed.
The problem is is that they have bigger guns than you have.
I'm getting tired of this sh!t.
Just like quite a few others have already had enough.

Personally, I'm glad to live in a stunted state like Massachusetts where the legal code would be wholeheartedly endorsed by the likes of Cotton Mather. At least here they tend not to step too hard on civil liberties (we've got the Feds to thank for that).

For all of that, it's good to see that you've got your dander up over the matter, and hopefully you're willing to speak in public about what one wears is a matter of civil liberty and not dictated by what one has between his/her legs. Don't call it out as a double-standard (even though it patently is); call it out as a violation of civil liberty -- irrespective of sex/gender.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:23 am The problem is is that they have bigger guns than you have
Doesn't matter.... I've got the same rights he does... freedom of speech, expression, religion, and EQUAL PROTECTION OF THE LAW. Thus, if they ban skirts for men, gotta ban them for women too!

If Ben has a problem with that he can carry his happy ass to North Korea or Afghanistan where he belongs.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Anyway... I've received some women's exercise shorts to wear under my skirts for when I have to trek into Taliban country.

That should pacify law enforcement... I have underwear, a pair of shorts and a skirt that will be at least to the knee....

I don't see how I could be cited for any indecency.
-Andrea
TSH
Distinguished Member

Post by TSH »

moonshadow wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:40 pm Curious... just what makes this guy think he has such authority over me??

That guy can kiss my ass. He doesn't own me. He doesn't pay my bills, he ain't my mama or my daddy.

Who the hell does he think he is? And he's so casual about it too... so nonchalant.

Maybe he wants to dictate what I'm allowed to eat? Say daddy Ben.... when's my bedtime tonight pa? You gonna tell me what time I'm allowed to eat supper too? I'd like to see him say it to my face...

Punk

People like that just make me so mad... such audacity.
Ben Shapiro is just a faux-intellectual who appeals to an audience too stupid to realize what actually goes on in his speeches and so-called "debates", and think just out-talking someone and speaking very fast is enough to win an argument. It's best to pay absolutely zero attention to this snake-oil salesman.

If you think Ben Shapiro is bad, you really should take a look at any content made by Matt Walsh. He makes Shapiro look sensible by comparison, and he's much harder to ignore thanks to his anti-trans campaign and generally outspoken attitude towards everything he talks about (religion and such).
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I recall my remark about Mr. Sharpio.

He is a wonderful and valid human being, full of love and friendliness, and I agree with everything he says.

I wish him all the luck in his endeavors.

I've never heard of Matt Walsh. I'm sure he is okay too.

Also, let me add that Bill Lee looks fabulous is his dress. I think he's a great guy and Tennessee would be hard pressed to find a better leader.
-Andrea
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

Hi guys always remember in the online world it's hard to determine whether someone's being sarcastic in their responses.

In the case in question Moon was being sarcastic about Sharpio and etc. In a bit of fairness though Moon doesn't want anyone to come take anything he's worked hard for away that's all. I would hope we all can have discussions without them going the wrong way and causing chaos. So I will always come shine my light here and pull you all back to a more pleasant conversation.

What are some laws in your area that you're concerned about regarding being able to wear skirts? Do you think these laws will pass and stay or do you feel that they're blowing steam? I'm curious to see your thoughts but please keep the responses pleasant.
"When life gets blurry adjust your focus."
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Elisabetta wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:44 pmHi guys always remember in the online world it's hard to determine whether someone's being sarcastic in their responses.
I can pick up when Moon's being sarcastic quite easily, but that's because I routinely use sarcasm myself. Those who don't (for whatever reason) are the ones who tend to get blind-sided by it. However, the past few of his did have me wondering if he'd been drinking grape Kool-Aid or he'd been grabbed by body-snatchers (or had moved to Stepford). Weird.
In a bit of fairness though Moon doesn't want anyone to come take anything he's worked hard for away that's all.
This is a very human trait -- we don't want to lose ground we've taken, frequently at great expense. Unfortunately, in modern "society" most of us are losing hard-won ground and have no recourse to do anything about that. Thus, we're frequently in a state of subdued fury -- and that sometimes boils over.
What are some laws in your area that you're concerned about regarding being able to wear skirts? Do you think these laws will pass and stay or do you feel that they're blowing steam? I'm curious to see your thoughts but please keep the responses pleasant.
Well, attempts at character-suppression are all the rage nowadays. I was quite appalled to find that a little burg not all that many miles to the west of me banned a "drag" event in town only to reverse the decision a few days later after pressure was applied. In New England? Really? That sort of behaviour does not surprise me when it happens "Down South", but baffles me when I see it in my back-yard.
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

crfriend wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:01 pm
Elisabetta wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:44 pmHi guys always remember in the online world it's hard to determine whether someone's being sarcastic in their responses.
I can pick up when Moon's being sarcastic quite easily, but that's because I routinely use sarcasm myself. Those who don't (for whatever reason) are the ones who tend to get blind-sided by it. However, the past few of his did have me wondering if he'd been drinking grape Kool-Aid or he'd been grabbed by body-snatchers (or had moved to Stepford). Weird.
In a bit of fairness though Moon doesn't want anyone to come take anything he's worked hard for away that's all.
This is a very human trait -- we don't want to lose ground we've taken, frequently at great expense. Unfortunately, in modern "society" most of us are losing hard-won ground and have no recourse to do anything about that. Thus, we're frequently in a state of subdued fury -- and that sometimes boils over.
Well, attempts at character-suppression are all the rage nowadays. I was quite appalled to find that a little burg not all that many miles to the west of me banned a "drag" event in town only to reverse the decision a few days later after pressure was applied. In New England? Really? That sort of behaviour does not surprise me when it happens "Down South", but baffles me when I see it in my back-yard.
That's what I don't understand why ban these things? They're not harming anyone they're dressing up and performing shows and other events. I joined one Pride event with Moon in Johnson City, Tennessee. I have to say I enjoyed it and so did the many who waved at us as we drove through the area with the event. Yes there were some who yelled obscenities at the car in front of us but you'd find that anywhere even if in regular clothes.
"When life gets blurry adjust your focus."
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

A Trump appointed federal judge has officially struck down Tennessee's drag law.

Note that other states drafted legislation with the exact same wording.

A win for freedom of expression.

+1 for Donald Trump and his appointeess.
-Andrea
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:32 pmA Trump appointed federal judge has officially struck down Tennessee's drag law.

This just sets up the inevitable Supreme Court challenge where the law will be upheld because of the neo-con makeup of it. This is pretty much pre-ordained.

It's surprising, though, that a Trump-appointed "judge" would strike down such a statute. It doesn't really fit the model.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 4:08 pm
moonshadow wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:32 pmA Trump appointed federal judge has officially struck down Tennessee's drag law.

This just sets up the inevitable Supreme Court challenge where the law will be upheld because of the neo-con makeup of it. This is pretty much pre-ordained.

It's surprising, though, that a Trump-appointed "judge" would strike down such a statute. It doesn't really fit the model.
The SCOTUS had better tread lightly, if we start censoring freedom of expression in the public square just because someone might find it offensive, where do we draw the line?

Biblically speaking, a "male impersonator" could be as simple as a woman with a butch hair cut wearing pants.

If the SCOTUS reverses Parker's ruling, I intend to report every woman wearing pants to the police....

I mean, we have to think of the children Carl.... :wink:
-Andrea
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

moonshadow wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:57 pm The SCOTUS had better tread lightly, if we start censoring freedom of expression in the public square just because someone might find it offensive, where do we draw the line?
Biblically speaking, a "male impersonator" could be as simple as a woman with a butch hair cut wearing pants.
If the SCOTUS reverses Parker's ruling, I intend to report every woman wearing pants to the police....
I mean, we have to think of the children Carl.... :wink:
Reporting the women to the po po might get you arrested for being a male pig! It could also get you a lot of eggs thrown at you and your house by the women!
And thinking of the children what about people at the beach with those string bikinis that cover absolutely nothing and I mean nothing. The last time I went to the beach in Savannah Ga. The women were wearing these things in front of the children and showing off their goodies to one and all. And the worse thing is the cops were every where looking for men in tight swim wear and men's bikinis.
If the SCOTUS do over turn the ruling what can we do about it???? NOTHING AT ALL! :(
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

moonshadow wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:57 pm Biblically speaking, a "male impersonator" could be as simple as a woman with a butch hair cut wearing pants.

I kind of hope it goes all the way. It might be the first SC case I read the different opinions on. Occasionally I’ll read some of the rulings and snippets of opinions, but this (even though I’m no fan of drag) is close enough to home that I do have a vested interest in this being resolved by the high court. I say resolved in that I don’t want the decision reversed, of course.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

I recall a comment I made a number of years ago to my sailing buddies one time when we were stuck in Provincetown in a cold driving rain and two of them opted to wander off to see the recently-released "RBG". My crack at the time -- and it still stands -- was, "In a post-constitutional state, what role does a Supreme Court play?"

Does anybody really question how the current Supreme Court will "rule" on this matter?